Gransnet forums

Chat

Mixers

(26 Posts)
Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 14:41:33

My trusty one burnt out very recently. Luckily after all the Xmas food prep was done. Any suggestions or recommendations for a replacement please? I want one with stand and bowl and a Kenwood would be lovely but a tad too big for the space available

FlexibleFriend Sun 09-Dec-18 15:51:58

The ten best according to the independent I have the kitchenaid which I love.

www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/kitchen-appliances/best-stand-mixer-for-baking-under-100-bread-200-cakes-kitchenaid-kenwood-a6950516.html

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 16:15:43

Thanks, I shall have a look at that.

shysal Sun 09-Dec-18 16:17:19

If I had room for a stand mixer I would choose one with a
scraper blade, as I hate having to scrape down the sides of the bowl during use.
Scraper blade mixer

M0nica Sun 09-Dec-18 16:20:27

I have a Kenwood. I have had it for over 45 years and it is still going strong. I have an even older one, which I inherited from my mother, in our French home.

grannysue05 Sun 09-Dec-18 16:27:31

blush When I saw the thread title, I thought that we were voting on the best type to go in a G & T !

Ilovecheese Sun 09-Dec-18 16:45:29

You've already done your Christmas food prep! Wow

Rosieroe Sun 09-Dec-18 16:48:16

Me too Grannysue05!

Izabella Tue 11-Dec-18 10:01:56

Well I must have had my old faithful mixer for longer than I thought. I am absolutely gobsmacked at the prices now. Agree the Kitchenaid looks good, but way out of my price league at the moment.

To those who express amazement at my Xmas prep - its a time management thing. I start early and everything apart from fresh veg is prepared and in the freezer. It is not a smug thing - more a relic from working 3 shifts in the past and doing things as and when I could. What inevitably happens is I end up helping various friends with last minute baking as they have run out of time (again! ? ) hence seeking advice about a replacement.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

EllanVannin Tue 11-Dec-18 10:16:54

Izabella I used to do all that when I was working, then have a quick flit around M&S first thing Christmas Eve morning for all things fresh, then whizz into work with everything done. So organised then-----but not any more I'm afraid I don't rush myself now.

Witzend Tue 11-Dec-18 13:31:50

My Kenwood was a wedding present in 1974! It did go on the blink a few years ago - how I missed it at Christmas! - but we found a repair place - I think in Fareham, Hants, where they serviced and repaired for about £75 inc. delivery.
They do take up quite a bit of worktop space, and my kitchen is far from huge, so I keep it in a cupboard now. Ditched various things I never or very rarely used, to make room.

silverlining48 Tue 11-Dec-18 19:04:37

And there was me thinking there might be a new tonic on the market......smile

FlexibleFriend Tue 11-Dec-18 19:34:28

Tbf the kitchenaid was on offer in curry's a few weeks back and was selling in one colour for half price. Amazon also had offers on it although slightly more on black friday but the deals seem to have ended. I'd keep an eye out in the Christmas and new year sales.

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Dec-18 19:57:06

When I saw the thread title, I thought that we were voting on the best type to go in a G & T !
Me too grannysue blush

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Dec-18 20:00:28

The Kitchenaid seems to be still on offer from here Izabella:
www.ecookshop.co.uk/ecookshop/kitchenaid-sale.asp

I hope the link works and that it's not advertising!

silverlining48 Tue 11-Dec-18 20:48:26

Missed yours granniesue...can’t resist a nice g and t. cheers!

Mapleleaf Wed 12-Dec-18 06:59:11

And me, grannysue! tchgrin
Cheers!

Blue45Sapphire Wed 12-Dec-18 07:10:24

I still have a Philips mixer and stand that I bought in Singapore in 1969! Still going strong, but I only use it a couple of times a year. However it occasionally makes a funny noise, so I am thinking of getting a replacement, especially as I have Royal Icing to make next week!

Blue45Sapphire Wed 12-Dec-18 07:11:49

I thought that too about the title! Was going to recommend Fever Tree ginger beer!

harrigran Wed 12-Dec-18 09:14:53

I have had my Philips mixer for 45 years and still going strong, now comes out for GD when she wants to create a work of art cake. I don't use all the attachments but they are nice to have just in case.

Jessity Wed 12-Dec-18 09:31:35

Fever Tree tonic for me.

My Kenwood was a wedding gift in 1966, it’s seen a lot of use though is only occasionally used now. I keep it in one of the deep drawers in the kitchen, much easier to access heavy items than reaching into a cupboard.

Izabella Wed 12-Dec-18 18:57:02

Well the jury has been out all day and after a chat with a mechanical engineer re: gearing (yes I know its sad) the big Kenwood won and will be delivered tomorrow. Excellent price on Am****. Thanks for everyones help

... and mines a gin and ginger beer please. Ice, no slice.

jeangenie Thu 10-Dec-20 18:09:45

Hi all has anyone got the the new kenwood chefette food mixer with a 6.5 lt bowl I would like to know what you think of it please Is it good for pastry making and bread thank you in advance

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Dec-20 18:26:50

grannysue05

blush When I saw the thread title, I thought that we were voting on the best type to go in a G & T !

And me too! What does it say about those of us who clicked on the thread to get recommendations to enhance our favourite tipples? blush

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Dec-20 18:30:19

I’m partial to Botanicals gin infusions. Sadly sold out in Sainsbury's.