Gransnet forums

Chat

Just a thought about Round Robins

(198 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 10-Dec-18 16:04:10

This morning I received the usual smug self-congratulatory missive from a former friend who I don't keep in touch with any longer. It doesn't let me off the hook though. I always get one.

I scanned through it trying to supress my usual tuts and snorts learning that her perfect family is even more perfect than last year, there's hardly an inch of the globe they haven't visited and they've somehow managed to find the time to build a two storey extension on their second home!

A thought then occurred to me. They know nothing of our current life, we're ten years older and for all they know, one or both of us could be dead! We can't be the only ones on their probably extensive mailing list who have had a shitty year. Sometimes when I bump into somebody in town I haven't seen for ages I hesitate to ask after their other half....just in case. Shouldn't RR senders exercise the same caution?

I think I would worry about how the recipient might be feeling. Christmas is not always the most wonderful time of the year. No need to rub it in!

Rant over....anyway, I felt better after I chucked it on the fire. grin

M0nica Wed 12-Dec-18 20:12:52

Actually trendy gran newsletters are only boring if you write them in a boring fashion. I am sure that you could write a very interesting letter about your past year if you wanted to.

I think everyone has a friend who is much better off and if they write about their lives it will include doing things that are more expensive than we can afford, but are they necessarily bragging?

I have a friend who travels a lot all over the world and when she writes she will tell us about her visits. She usually goes on Traidcraft holidays and returns weighed down by all the lovely handmade goods she brings back and the fascinating things she has seen. She doesn't write about her generosity to her sister and her family, whose life has been quite difficult, or the charities she supports or the homeless charity she has been a volunteer with for over 40 years.

I just tut about the environmental damage all those international flights cause, but overall, I think she is much better person than me.

M0nica Wed 12-Dec-18 20:13:53

last word should be 'I am'

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Dec-18 20:36:24

Mum said she was all fur coat and no knickers.
Gabriella DH's Gran used to say that grin

quizqueen Wed 12-Dec-18 21:33:51

I prefer to write and read a short, personalised message handwritten in a Christmas card.

moggie57 Thu 13-Dec-18 12:13:48

dont open it .put return to sender not known at this address.. dont stoop to her level. she's not oh so perfect if she can send you a letter like that. send it back without opening it.

moggie57 Thu 13-Dec-18 12:14:24

red hat no knickers.

M0nica Thu 13-Dec-18 17:03:51

Had a card and letter from a friend today saying she was looking forward to my letter with news of all the family.

GabriellaG54 Thu 13-Dec-18 21:32:57

After dad died, mum worked for a doctor as his receptionist (not in a surgery)
She recounted that one afternoon she was dispatched in his car (with driver) to the local butcher to pick up a parcel for his 'lady wife'.
In it were 2 sausages and 1 pork chop...for their tea. The chop was his. Tightwad. That's when mum came out with the 'fur coat saying.
Sorry for hijacking the thread...blushgrin

GabriellaG54 Thu 13-Dec-18 21:51:03

I've enjoyed reading all your stories about RRs and laughed out loud at most of them, including 'Canadian nirvana', 'only a captain' and screwing them up.
It's funny how some people are so interested in themselves that they don't notice, according to one GN user, that she hadn't replied for 20 years. hmmsmile

Melanieeastanglia Fri 14-Dec-18 00:15:37

I have never sent one and don't plan to ever send one. It doesn't bother me to receive them though.

I only dislike the ones which are full of bragging. Quite often I find it interesting to hear about friends' lives.

Eloethan Fri 14-Dec-18 00:18:07

We get one of these every year - a typed list of extensive house projects, exotic holidays, the impressive achievements of people we have never heard of, etc. etc.

None of our close friends/family are so self-absorbed, thank goodness.

Grammaretto Sat 15-Dec-18 17:09:17

2 RRs have just arrived. I read my bank statement and then launched in. The first was grammatically incorrect and rambled on with superlatives. What haven't that family achieved this year!! They've had 4 holidays, got more qualifications and have superb jobs, have run marathons, their children have won prizes and they grew all their own veg. Did you get this one too?

On the other hand, the second one was a beautifully written letter describing the countryside and animals around their home. There was a bit about where the GC are now and wishing us all a better year.

I think it must matter how it's written and not what they write.

I also get a card from someone called Liz but no other information. The Liz I knew best died 3 years ago so I am confused.

CanOnlyTry Sat 15-Dec-18 17:31:00

Well. What a selfish woman she is Merlotgran!!!
I'm with you in that you never know how someone's year/life has planned out but these sorts really don't care because it's all about them - there's no room in their life to hear about anyone else's life! Honestly though you don't need someone like this in your life (even if it's only once a year). If it was me I'd find it really easy to send get a "shot across the boughs" bringing to her attention the fact that she hasn't shown one bit of interest in you or your family for ....... (however many years is been going on) and for that reason would you please refrain from sending me any further Christmas cards. What's there to lose? And you may be doing her a favour and help other "friends" of this nauseating woman.

SueDonim Tue 18-Dec-18 13:10:07

After this thread I felt too embarrassed to do a Round Robin this year so just wrote short notes in some cards, which I finally finished last night. I tried to consider what I wrote so it didn't come across as bragging so only told a few folk about dd's graduation and didn't mention holidays to anyone. It ended up pretty bland, really. Basically it consisted of 'We're all well, hope you're all well.'

Gonegirl Tue 18-Dec-18 13:49:36

I think those Xmas cards some people (royals?) send out are very much like these round robins. A photograph of their perfect family, when most people would prefer a robin or a nice manger scene.

(Miaow) shock

sodapop Tue 18-Dec-18 14:05:43

That's fine Suedonim I only want to know the sender is thinking of me and wishing me well for Christmas and the New Year. tchsmile

M0nica Tue 18-Dec-18 17:56:31

I still did mine. I think the real problem is that many people send RRs out so indiscriminately.

Only a small fraction of the people I send cards to get an RR. Mainly further members of my family, who I do not see regularly because they do not live close and therefore cannot always make the summer family get together, plus a few friends. I usually write something personal at the end.

lemongrove Tue 18-Dec-18 17:58:46

Grammaretto...... could it be, gasp! The Queen?

Grammaretto Tue 18-Dec-18 18:11:12

lemongrove of course. Bless her. Hand written too.
grin

SueDonim Tue 18-Dec-18 18:47:41

*Sodapop, those friends and distant relatives with surnames in the second half of the alphabet won't have a clue whether or what I was wishing them, because my handwriting had deteriorated so badly after the letter P that I think it must be pretty indecipherable. tchblush

SueDonim Wed 26-Dec-18 17:41:29

The final Round Robin I received this year informed me that Lydia and her dh have had some difficult times financially over the past twelve months but they've now sold their villa in Portugal. They made a loss but as property is dirt cheap there, it didn't amount to a huge deficit.

They're now looking forward to starting anew in 2019 and settling into their latest home.

I must say, I'm very pleased that all has panned out for them. Problem is, I haven't a clue who Lydia is, I've never known anyone of that name! tchgrin

lemongrove Wed 26-Dec-18 19:19:14

I agree with your posts Merlot regarding the annual firelighters.