Gransnet forums

Chat

does anyone know

(14 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 12-Dec-18 12:59:04

I am having a fasting bloodtest tomorrow morning and have to stop eating and drinking at 9pm this evening.Does anyone know if having a cheese omlette for my tea around 6pm would affect the amount of cholesterol in my blood.? I have never had this checked before so am really not sure what to eat or if it will affect the test. Thanks in advance.

HildaW Wed 12-Dec-18 13:10:19

OH has had several of these and has never been told what he can and cant eat.....just not to eat after a certain time.......Its something I am always aware of as it means I have to do the morning dog walk....as it can't be done on an empty stomach.

ninathenana Wed 12-Dec-18 13:21:56

I wouldn't have thought what you eat the night before would have time to have an effect on your blood results; it's more a build up relating to your usual diet.
Both DH and I have fasting tests every six months or so and as Hilda says we have never been advised what to eat.

Teetime Wed 12-Dec-18 14:01:59

Just keep to the times given dont worry about the content of the food you have in this instance.

FlexibleFriend Wed 12-Dec-18 14:03:49

Eat whatever you want.

wildswan16 Wed 12-Dec-18 14:23:32

Just eat as normal. Also, put up a BIG notice next to the kettle and toaster in the kitchen - we get so many people turning up for fasting blood tests who "forgot" but "just" had a cup of tea and a slice of toast !

MissAdventure Wed 12-Dec-18 14:36:42

The fasting is to check blood sugar levels, I think.

Nonnie Wed 12-Dec-18 15:18:20

Last time I had a cholesterol test they said it was no longer necessary to fast as the test has changed

Poppyred Wed 12-Dec-18 15:45:28

They would have told you what/what not to eat if it made a difference to the result - so no eat what you like.

travelsafar Wed 12-Dec-18 18:05:41

Thank you all for your most helpful posts, i will enjoy my cheese and spinach omlette.smile

Izabella Wed 12-Dec-18 18:39:53

Nonni that is correct. Cholesterol test is no longer necessarily a fasting one.

M0nica Wed 12-Dec-18 19:32:40

I do not think I have ever been asked to fast for any blood test, certainly not cholesterol.

KatyK Wed 12-Dec-18 21:23:06

My DH had a fasting one this morning. He was told not to eat or drink anything for 10 hours before. He has had lots of these. I'm sure it takes a long time for cholesterol to build up, certainly not anything you eat the night before.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Dec-18 11:28:44

I've had one or two of those in my lifetime and one result for the " fasting " turned out a higher reading than a random one when I'd eaten. Don't ask me why.