Gransnet forums

Chat

Squirrel in house

(179 Posts)
Terrystred Wed 12-Dec-18 16:07:45

Got home from my class this morning to find a squirrel on the curtain rail in a spare bedroom. Panicked and shut the door on it and rang Pest control. The man managed to trap it and shot it in the head with an air rifle! Quite a shocking experience. My whole house feels contaminated now. No idea how it got in, so worried its chums might follow!

BlueBelle Wed 12-Dec-18 17:33:48

How dreadful couldn’t you have opened the window and waited I couldn’t bear to have anyone shot a wild animal in my house I wouldn’t have called pest control at all I have opened the window and shut the door
That s horrendous

PamelaJ1 Wed 12-Dec-18 17:34:23

You’ll have to do a recce and check for any holes it could have used.
It may have been an opportunist and slipped in while a door was open, maybe you popped out to the car and didn’t bother to shut it?

callgirl1 Wed 12-Dec-18 17:47:35

Poor little thing.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Dec-18 17:56:01

A trail of food to an open window or door would have been a preferred solution ???

M0nica Wed 12-Dec-18 19:29:47

Get a roofer in to go round the roof to check whether there is anyway obvious he got in. If your house is a semi or terrace, get the roofer to look in the roof to check whether it got in via next doors house.

Grey squirrels got into our roof, ate through the alarm system and stripped 2 foot of plastic sheathing off an electricity cable, which could have caused a catastrophic fire. We discovered that they got into our house through a gap in the loft wall with next door. Once we blocked that the problem has not re-occurred.

Squirrels are just rats with tails, who have passed diseases on to red squirrels and wiped them out over most areas of the country. I wouldn't want to have one shot in the house. Usually they take them away in a trap and kill them humanely elsewhere.

BlueBelle Wed 12-Dec-18 19:35:43

Squirrels are beautiful creatures and funny why should they be shot in the head for being in the wrong place Rats are highly intelligent animals

M0nica Wed 12-Dec-18 19:43:04

If rats were that intelligent they would keep out of my garden and not climb up to the high shelf in the garden shed in order to eat the rat poison stored there.

M0nica Wed 12-Dec-18 19:44:38

We have had owls in the house when they fell down the chimney. Could the squirrel have done that?

Davidhs Wed 12-Dec-18 19:59:31

Squirrels are nice little furry animals that drive my terrier mad and gives her lots of exercise chasing them away, it is still back next morning.
In the house they are dangerous, you don't want a squirrel in your house or loft, your familiys life could depend on it. Rats and Squirells are both intelligent, an open door or window or a cat flap ( no cat) are easy entry points.

FlexibleFriend Wed 12-Dec-18 20:49:31

Poor critter, it wouldn't have occurred to me to call pest control if I'm honest and by the time I'd organised my thoughts he would have no doubt left of his own accord. I'm pretty sure if I opened a window and shut the door, made a racket while approaching him he wouldn't have hung about for long.

Elegran Wed 12-Dec-18 20:50:18

Terrystred Pest control were following regulations by shooting the grey squirrel. It is classed as vermin, and it is illegal to release it into the wild. It is also illegal to impose ‘unnecessary suffering’, so don't resort to whacking it with a spade. It must be despatched quickly and efficiently, for instance by shooting. Distressing for the onlooker, though.

www.spectator.co.uk/2015/03/what-to-do-with-a-squirrel-without-getting-prosecuted/

aggie Wed 12-Dec-18 22:14:27

DD3 was just on the phone , she came home the other night to find a decapitated squirrel at the bottom of the stairs !! The cat flap is being closed now !

Deedaa Wed 12-Dec-18 23:32:26

We had a grey squirrel for 11 years after I hand reared him. We all loved him and the thought of having someone shoot one is awful. I would be wary of approaching a wild one because they have a terrific bite, but an open door and a lot of noise should do the trick.

callgirl1 Wed 12-Dec-18 23:34:28

I`m sorry, I still think poor little thing.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Dec-18 05:16:46

I m afraid I m horrified by the thought of shooting a beautiful animal in the head because it was in the wrong place (but then I hate fox hunting and culling beautiful badgers) surely there are humane ways to remove a squirrel from a house, it would never enter my head to ring pest control for a squirrel or anything else other than an insect infestation
We love watching squirrels they are such comical little characters why do humans think they have a right to kill animals because just they have taken a wrong turning I don’t expect the squirrel woke up that morning thinking I m going to break into that house today .....this is horrible

seacliff Thu 13-Dec-18 05:38:11

How cruel, poor thing.

crystaltipps Thu 13-Dec-18 07:46:35

We had a squirrel in the house once, OH got it out using a big fishing net and a towel. It was released unharmed.

Humbertbear Thu 13-Dec-18 07:50:46

Squirrels are not beautiful creatures, they are rats with furry tails. If they get into your loft they can reek havoc. Fortunately I only lost my lifetime collection of dress patterns, but they have been known to chew electrical wiring. They belong OUTSIDE and not inside the house.

Niobe Thu 13-Dec-18 08:02:00

BlueBelle , I'm with you on this. I would have left the window open and closed the door to give it time to find its own way out. I think I would have called the RSPCA before I thought of getting pest control to be honest.

PamelaJ1 Thu 13-Dec-18 08:15:48

I think the RSPCA would have had to kill it. It’s illegal to release them. They are vermin.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Dec-18 08:34:17

Humberbear they ARE very beautiful they are funny and clever Of course they belong outside not inside Do you really think that squirrel woke up that morning and thought ‘right I m going to go and live in that house and cause mayhem’ ‘or eat that woman’s dress patterns’ it obviously lost its way and just needed allowing to go back out the window These animals are only so called vermin because of human beings I live in an area with a lot if seagulls another maligned creature called vermin but we have made them vermin by reducing their habitat and leaving food around then wanting to get rid of them because they are a ‘nuicence’ to us
An absolutely horrible thought let’s kill everything that annoys us I can’t believe people would like any animals that don’t fit into ‘their’ way of life killed

Anja Thu 13-Dec-18 08:34:33

Panicked because a squirrel was trapped in your bedroom? Open a window woman.

Anja Thu 13-Dec-18 08:37:07

BB I absolutely agree. Some humans are so urbanised and cut off from nature that this is the result.

crystaltipps Thu 13-Dec-18 08:41:30

“It’s illegal to release them”? Surely they’re wild creatures, they belong in the wild not in houses so if you open a window or catch them and let them back out where they came from it’s illegal? Well I’m waiting for the police to come round.