Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Cards- where do you draw the line?

(9 Posts)
Craftycat Thu 13-Dec-18 13:32:29

Just opened a batch of cards & there are 2 from people we met in holiday many years ago.
We have exchanged cards since but it must be 15 years ago now so this year I decided to stop sending cards.
They send an update on where they have been on hols this year & any major events in their lives but TBH I can't really remember what they look like now. They live in a totally different part of UK from us so we have never met up again.
I do make all my own cards- this year I painted them- so it is not just a case of dashing off a quick supermarket card.
I still send to old friends I worked with- even some I went to school with but we meet up occasionally.
Am I being an old scrooge or would you stop sending to people you never see?

lemongrove Thu 13-Dec-18 13:37:23

It depends.Certainly I would stop any to people I met on holiday ages ago.
There are about six people I never see on my card list, either old relatives or friends where distance is the reason, but I wouldn’t stop those.
Postage all adds up, time to let it go, they may be glad you did so first!

Bridgeit Thu 13-Dec-18 13:42:29

I am gradually reducing the amount I send.
Also many people do on line greetings , but I still prefer cards .

paddyann Thu 13-Dec-18 15:12:54

Not sending any this year ,I'll give one to MIL with her presents and to our AC's families but all money saved by not buying and sending the usual pile will be sent to Mary's Meals .Cards will just end up in the bin whereas a donation to feed a couple of children for a year will make a difference.I always bought my cards in the January sales and wrote one for each I took down so it was just a case of stamping and sending ,but like most of us there were people on the list we hadn't seen in decades ,so no more .

MissAdventure Thu 13-Dec-18 15:23:40

I don't send cards, or keep the ones sent to me.
If people still feel the urge to send me one then they know its fate..

KatyK Thu 13-Dec-18 15:56:10

I love sending and receiving them. There are too many traditions disappearing (in my opinion).

Melanieeastanglia Thu 13-Dec-18 16:12:17

Generally, I like to send and receive cards but would probably stop in the specific situation you mentioned.

notanan2 Thu 13-Dec-18 16:47:23

Here's my rule:
I send cards to people who I think would miss getting a card from me.

So young people who clearly aren't into cards themselves because they don't send them no longer get one from me even if we are close. The exception seems to be young newly engaged/weds/new parents who seem to get into traditional "house" things like cards for a bit

Older people who send them every year IMO must care about cards so they get one

People my age who we fell into a routine of exchanging cards with years ago are IMO probably also wondering how to break the cycle so I stopped.

My good friends don't need them as I make a point of seeing them or calling over christmas.

So its mostly older relatives. A few older family friends and a few younger relatives who are freshly "settled". Close friends and aquaintances are off the list

sodapop Thu 13-Dec-18 17:28:09

What Melanie said.