Gransnet forums

Chat

How is this even possible?

(17 Posts)
littleflo Sat 15-Dec-18 08:17:25

I ordered a Christmas gift yesterday morning at 11am. It arrived at 8pm that same evening. Can anyone explain how Amazon does this? I can understand, ‘Same Day Delivery’ from Argos, because their stores are local.

crystaltipps Sat 15-Dec-18 08:29:32

Did you inadvertently sign up for Amazon Prime?

Blue45Sapphire Sat 15-Dec-18 08:37:01

I have Amazon Prime, and have had stuff delivered the same day!

ninathenana Sat 15-Dec-18 08:41:14

Yes, nothing unusual.

Do Amazon not have area distribution centres hmm

Alygran Sat 15-Dec-18 08:41:45

Huge local warehouses! Argos deliveries don’t come from the local shop either.

Missfoodlove Sat 15-Dec-18 09:14:26

Amazon have huge fulfilment depots across the country, their systems are incredibly advanced.
They have been heavily criticised for their treatment of staff in these huge warehouses as they have to work hard and fast to get the orders out, staff turnover is high.
I am in two minds about Amazon as clearly there is a need for such a service and they are giving small independent traders a platform on which to sell, however all those white vans delivering all those parcels it cannot be environmentally friendly.
My son works for Amazon overseas and so far has had a good career with them so I a bit biased, also I love Alexa!!She is my source of info, music, oven timer and telephone!

theretheredear Sat 15-Dec-18 09:40:17

I used to love Amazon, had such bargains, but it's really lost it's appeal this year.
I've shopped all year & mainly locally.

Charleygirl5 Sat 15-Dec-18 09:45:55

I appear to keep Amazon up and running all by myself. It is possible to order something at 12mid day and have it delivered between 6-10pm in the evening the same day.

Even the van men are on a tight schedule, hence I think why stuff is half pushed through letterboxes, almost removing the letterbox because of the tightness.

Next year I intend to save money- I do not really need anything.

dragonfly46 Sat 15-Dec-18 09:53:38

You and me both Charley we get most things on Amazon as they come in less time than it takes me to get to the shops, they are mostly cheaper and they deliver.
I have just ordered pods for our coffee machine which are unavailable in the shops and they are coming this evening.

Charleygirl5 Sat 15-Dec-18 13:08:23

dragonfly yes, it takes less time to look up something on Amazon, read the reviews which I find helpful than go to the local shop, amble up and down aisles etc. but last year I did spend too much money because of the sheer convenience.

I also do click and collect and then I do not have to hang around or like yesterday, prise a parcel out of the letterbox without breaking the latter.

littleflo Sun 16-Dec-18 08:57:37

I am not sure about the delivery vehicles not being environmentally friendly. The alternative is that most of the recipients of the parcels will be driving to the stores, clogging the roads and polluting the air with their own cars.

I do think I save money on Amazon because, when I go to the shops, I spend money on things I don’t really need. Also have a coffee and cake so good for the purse and the waistline.

Chewbacca Sun 16-Dec-18 09:28:33

The small electrical goods ( kettles, radios, coffee machines etc) shop in our main town is closing down shortly. The shopkeeper said that plenty of people come into his shop, peruse the goods, ask for his advice and then leave without buying anything, saying that they'll "think about it", never to return. He said he's pretty sure they go and order it off Amazon and he can't compete with their prices. Can't blame people for going for best value for money but our high streets are the poorer for it.

Kateykrunch Sun 16-Dec-18 10:14:46

Littleflo.......its magic! Lol

littleflo Sun 16-Dec-18 10:55:48

I am living in another century I think. Of course they would have distributors everywhere. Why didn’t I think of that. However, I am going with , @Katykrunch idea and believe the deliveries are made by elves.

watermeadow Sun 16-Dec-18 19:35:09

I don’t ever buy anything from Amazon and never will.
They are largely responsible for the death of every high street, where local women needed retail jobs and old people needed local shops.
Amazon treats its staff appallingly, pays minimal tax and is rapidly taking over vast areas of everyone’s lives.

phoenix Sun 16-Dec-18 19:44:32

Only local women needed retail jobs? tchhmm

watermeadow Tue 18-Dec-18 18:03:02

How many men need a job near home which fits in with caring for babies, school children and old parents?