Gransnet forums

Chat

Couch,settee or sofa...

(79 Posts)
farview Sun 16-Dec-18 10:58:02

I tend to say sofa... sometimes couch..what do you say ?

Culag Sun 16-Dec-18 13:49:00

I call it a settee, it’s in the sitting room, and I was brought up in the south.

BlueBelle Sun 16-Dec-18 13:49:45

It was a settee when I was growing up but now I call it a sofa
It was in thr front room when I was growing up I think I m more likely to call it a living room now I still have a dining room though but no settees in there

Charleygirl5 Sun 16-Dec-18 13:55:13

My settee is in my living room. I also think living rooms came from oop north where I come from.

EllanVannin Sun 16-Dec-18 14:06:03

Settee for me. In the living room near the back kitchen.

I had a study and a butlers pantry as well as a utility room in my old house. Complete with dining room lounge and living room.Along with a 100ft garden and-----room for a pony hahahaha.

FarNorth Sun 16-Dec-18 14:14:51

Sofa in the living room. I think we may have had a couch in my youth, never a settee.
Never had a front room or parlour, btw.

Cherrytree59 Sun 16-Dec-18 14:23:21

I say Settee (as did my parents and grandparents)

My DD would say Sofa as she like others have (unwittingly) been persuaded by the furniture advertisers such as DFS to buy a 2 or 3 seater Sofa

Squiffy Sun 16-Dec-18 14:33:28

We say sofa, but I suppose it could be a sit-tee - sorry! tchblush

Cherrytree59 Sun 16-Dec-18 14:39:11

Squffy its yours to call what every you wish
smile
I wonder if settee comes from Settle

Cherrytree59 Sun 16-Dec-18 14:42:04

Ps I have a Design Sofa 4 u advertisement at the bottom of this threadtchgrin

phoenix Sun 16-Dec-18 15:21:09

After supper, Mr P (to wind me up!) announced that he is going through the lounge to sit on the settee.

Heaven knows how we ever spend any time together, because once I have listened to the Archers and tidied up, I go to the sitting room and relax on the sofa! tchwink

Dontaskme Sun 16-Dec-18 15:27:19

Sofa in the sitting room BUT always used to be a settee, until I ran a nursery and all the little ones said sofa and had no idea what this settee was I spoke of ! I began calling it a sofa and its stuck.

KatyK Sun 16-Dec-18 15:27:25

Settee

Scribbles Sun 16-Dec-18 15:40:00

I haven't got one but, when I had, it was sofa and lived in the lounge.

TerriBull Sun 16-Dec-18 15:59:02

I'm a sofa sort of person, and have been ever since I acquired my own home, my parents however called the sofa a settee, as most people did then. I haven't heard many people refer to a settee these days, but obviously there are a few on gn grin

Jane10 Sun 16-Dec-18 16:01:43

Always had sofas here (SE Scotland).
Does anyone remember 'studio couches'? My friends mum had one. It was like a divan really and folded out. They had theirs in the sitting room in case of overnight visitors. I thought it was just so trendy at the time.

Buffybee Sun 16-Dec-18 16:02:33

Settee in the living room, from the North West.
I remember my Grannie used to say Sofa, so I always think of it as a Grannie expression but now I think younger ones use Sofa, probably due to Sofa Sofa and Dfs! ?

Daddima Sun 16-Dec-18 16:04:41

We have a couch or a settee in the living room, as my mother always said only airports and hotels had lounges!

HurdyGurdy Sun 16-Dec-18 16:05:09

I say sofa, my mum and dad said couch, and my mega posh friend said settee.

Is there actually a recognised difference between the three terms?

Marydoll Sun 16-Dec-18 16:06:39

Couch, here, occasionally, settee, but never sofa,

Day6 Sun 16-Dec-18 16:17:52

Everyone seemed to refer to them as settees when I was a child but I am from north of Watford!

OH says the same but now we have sofas, mainly because that's what they seem to sell in furniture shops now.

I see 'couch' as an Americanism, or something a psychiatrist would have patients lie on, but one or two of my acquaintances use the term.

Jane10 Sun 16-Dec-18 16:33:49

Victorians used to have fainting couches! Chaises longues, sociables, ottomen, pouffes etc. So many forms of seating that have disappeared.

Marydoll Sun 16-Dec-18 16:38:33

Is it a coincidence that advertisements for Wayfair keep popping up? tchconfused.

Jane, we very recently bought a new three piece suite with a footstool. My husband keeps telling me to stop calling the footstool a pouffe, because of the other meaning of the word. I must be a Victorian at heart, if I still use couch and pouffe tchgrin.

farview Sun 16-Dec-18 16:42:25

Marydoll..??

FarNorth Sun 16-Dec-18 17:16:26

Jane10, yes my parents had a studio couch for many years and I did too, after being gifted it by them!
It was bought second hand so gave excellent value.

I once knew people who had a dog called Sofa because it was a cross between a Setter and a Collie.

Jessity Sun 16-Dec-18 17:33:35

Sofa and sitting room for me. It was settee when I was a girl. And for those who had one, it was a bed settee, studio couch and then sofa bed seemed to be names used some years later.