Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas help

(8 Posts)
Quizzer Sun 16-Dec-18 15:10:01

My DH is pretty useless at Christmas but tries to "help". His latest effort was volunteering to label gifts as I wrapped and ribboned them. Foolishly I didn't check what he was doing. He stuck the labels on with sticky tape by the end of the attached strings, at any random point on the parcel. No attempt to attach them to ribbons or even knot the ends to stop the labels pulling off. Consequently many of the labels have fallen off my parcels and most I will have to unwrap to check what is inside. On top of that he had mixed up the gifts for two GS who have similar names but are 8 years apart in age. Little wonder I am resigned to have to do everything myself. tchconfused
Is he being useless deliberately?

Teetime Sun 16-Dec-18 15:38:42

Yes

SpringyChicken Sun 16-Dec-18 17:38:21

Yes.

Charleygirl5 Sun 16-Dec-18 17:49:32

I would trade him in for a newer model.

MawBroon Sun 16-Dec-18 17:49:50

My dear Dad had it down to a fine art.

Family legend has it that shortly after they married he shouted upstairs to Mum from the kitchen” Darling what do I do, the milk’s boiling over?”

EllanVannin Sun 16-Dec-18 18:07:47

I can hear the dulcet tones of my mother now as she shouts from the back kitchen " if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself ". She had said of my father who'd offered to do the papering down the side of the stairs while she was out shopping.
Only trouble was, dad had put it on upside down. Mum had already done the landing so he should have known how the pattern went.

I got told off for laughing.

shysal Sun 16-Dec-18 18:07:50

Yes! That is a tactic employed by my exDH with any job I asked him to do. Of course I ended up doing everything, one of the reasons he is an ex!

Grammaretto Sun 16-Dec-18 21:39:50

MawBroongrin
At least it was only wrapping gifts Quizzer. It might have been serious help you needed. What's he like in a crisis?
My DH had to leap into action when DS was born at home. The midwife was directing him and asking him to pass things to her from her bag. He didn't know what he was looking for pulling out a catheter when she'd asked for a mucus extractor. She made do and the baby survived and he was very proud of himself, rightly so.