Gransnet forums

Chat

Meghan Markles Dad

(138 Posts)
dragonfly46 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:29:19

What do we feel about his public appeal for contact with his daughter. He says he texts every day but has heard nothing from her since the wedding. Apparently he has contacted the Queen for her help.

janeainsworth Mon 17-Dec-18 13:31:45

Absolutely nothing!

ninathenana Mon 17-Dec-18 13:36:08

Would you contact your DD's MiL about your relationship with your DD I very much doubt it. I certainly wouldn't.
Do I believe what he says no, do I think he's after Meghan's money tchhmm tchhmm

Anniebach Mon 17-Dec-18 13:45:22

Yet he was at her first wedding. Letters have been released written in 2015 , she addresses him as ‘darling daddy’

He should accept the fact he is no longer part of her life , very difficult to do but he has no choice

merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-18 13:48:38

I didn't feel at all sorry for him at the time of the wedding but I'm beginning to now.

Ailsa43 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:56:00

I do feel sorry for him...absolutely I do!!

Cold Mon 17-Dec-18 13:59:15

He has brought it on himself. I think that his constant public attempts to embarrass her into contacting him will never succeed. I find it disgusting the way he says really mean and nasty stuff about her and then claim he wants her to contact him and cries crocodile tears. I cannot comprehend a father doing that to his pregnant daughter.

I doubt that Meghan can ever trust him again as she knows that as soon as she does he will call one of the gossip sites that he has on speed dial and sell her out.

dogsmother Mon 17-Dec-18 14:02:27

Has he said mean and nasty things about her?

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Dec-18 14:04:51

I think you have described him to a T Cold and he wants to cosy in and get money out of her.

JessK Mon 17-Dec-18 14:13:24

I think he is being lead by his other daughter who seems to be very jealous of Megan.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Dec-18 14:13:44

I am sure that there are better ways to get in contact and build bridges with an "estranged" family member other than appeal on a national breakfast program.

FlexibleFriend Mon 17-Dec-18 14:17:35

Oh yeah the Queen just gave him her number, I think not. I'd ignore him if I was Megan but I'm not and my dad would never have behaved like him.

merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-18 14:22:21

How do you find the 'better way' when the Royals, in such an elevated position, make it impossible?

Meghan is beginning to raise eyebrows and unfavourable press comments which may or may not be true so surely this would be a good time to build bridges with her father - whether or not he deserves it.

Telly Mon 17-Dec-18 14:22:47

One thing I am sure of, going to the press is not going to help his cause. Can you imagine?!!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Dec-18 14:31:59

He could always contact Meghans mother (his ex wife) who is in contact with her.

Anniebach Mon 17-Dec-18 15:02:03

How else can he contact her? He claims she doesn’t reply to text, he can’t knock on her front door. I wish he could accept if she didn’t take Harry to meet him when they decided to get engaged , she wants nothing to do with him .
Very hard for a parent to accept but he has no choice

Cold Mon 17-Dec-18 15:29:51

@dogsmother
Well among (a lot of) other things - a very few of his shaming and passive aggressive media interviews
'She has always been a very controlling person and that is part of her nature

“I made her the Duchess she is today. Everything that Meghan is, I made her.”

“I refuse to stay quiet. What riles me is Meghan's sense of superiority. She'd be nothing without me."

“I would think that she (the Queen) would want to resolve family problems."

"Perhaps it would be easier for Meghan if I died."

He likened the royal family to a "cult." "They are either like Scientologists or the Stepford family,"

... and a lot more from faking photo shoots, selling multiple interviews (including childhood photos of her) to TMZ (a US gossip site) and Piers Morgan and colluding with a crazy step-sister Samantha who tried to enter Kensington Palace this summer (with a photographer) -- as a PR stunt-- to "deliver a letter from him"

Her possibly regrets it - but on the other hand he keeps running to the press to "tell his side" knowing she is unable to do the same. I would never forgive a parent who was so self-absorbed that they did this to me.

wildswan16 Mon 17-Dec-18 15:43:18

I feel very sorry for Meghan. Whatever the rights or wrongs of the situation (about which we know absolutely nothing), having your sister and father continually publicising their emotional outbursts must be very hard to deal with. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. This is a situation which we are only ever going to hear one side of and like every other family difficulty, should be kept private by all concerned.

merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-18 15:47:37

Meghan must have known when she and Harry got engaged there was a strong likelihood that her father, who sounds like he has mental health issues, and her loose cannon of a half sister would be problems that couldn't be swept under the carpet. She and Harry could have taken steps to avoid public embarrassment but they pushed him away instead.

I thought he was an irritating attention seeker during the run up to the wedding but surely Meghan can see that a gesture of reconciliation, especially at Christmas, would go a long way to healing the rift.

She will only have herself to blame if the situation gets worse. I wouldn't mind betting the Queen will urge Harry to do the right thing by his FiL. Other in-laws (before the Middletons) have faded quietly into the background but there's no way Thomas Markle is going to do that.

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Dec-18 15:59:24

His name is splashed all over today's London Evening Standard and somebody took great pains to inform everybody that her father was not paid for the interview. He is an embarrassment.

BlueBelle Mon 17-Dec-18 15:59:40

The father comes across as very passive/aggressive and not a nice character at all I m sure there’s plenty gone on that no one else will know about and I m sure she has very good reasons for not want to talk to him
He seems a blooming nightmare and I think he was well after money along with the half sister Meghan s probably doing the only thing possible and ignoring him give him an inch and he’d take a mile We have no way of knowing apart from his loud wailing whether he has heard from them or not they may well have contacted him and said leave us alone he s not going to report that is he ?

Madgran77 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:09:31

I have no idea why he thinks that his various interviews in the press, including reference to her first wedding, could in any way help the situation. Sad situation for all of them!

Fennel Mon 17-Dec-18 16:09:34

I feel sorry for Meghan too, and Harry. Because the media just won't leave them alone.
Let them get on with their marriage/parenthood in peace.
I don't read the articles now, or watch on TV.

Anniebach Mon 17-Dec-18 16:51:12

In fairness to the media, was there need to tell the world ‘Harry will not take part in the Boxing Day shoot’. Just don’t take part in it , end of.

sodapop Mon 17-Dec-18 17:04:50

Seems like a needy and sad man. I understand things have been difficult for him but really is this any way to treat your daughter. I think maybe Meghan should try to build bridges but it will get harder as time passes.