Gransnet forums

Chat

"Becoming" (Michelle Obama)

(8 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 18-Dec-18 13:40:15

I was listening to Michelle Obama herself smile reading from her book this morning (it's on Radio 4 iPlayer) and it made me think how lucky I am to live in a world smile - where, given that people were queuing around the block to listen to her recently at the South Bank Centre, here she is telling me her story whilst I'm tidying cupboards.

She describes Barack's career path when she first met him as "improvisational zig-zagging" which made me laugh - sounds like mine!

It's a good listen, in case anyone else is interested, here's the link:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00017sb

Anja Tue 18-Dec-18 13:42:29

I heard it when it was live on Radio 4. She’s impressive.

mumofmadboys Tue 18-Dec-18 13:54:24

I have ordered the book from the library

Parsley3 Tue 18-Dec-18 14:56:49

She certainly seems to be inspiring a generation of young women. Well done her for using her position to do some good in the World.

wildswan16 Tue 18-Dec-18 15:23:22

Yes, she comes across as a very "ordinary" but remarkable lady who has much to offer.

BlueSapphire Tue 18-Dec-18 16:38:27

I heard her on Radio 4 as well, and it threw me at first, as she kept referring to this person called 'The Rock.' Then the penny dropped that it was her pronunciation of Barack!

oldbatty Tue 18-Dec-18 16:43:17

thanks Granny knot

Framilode Tue 18-Dec-18 16:49:51

I have just finished her book. She is in many ways a very inspiring woman and a wonderful role model.

However, I found her a bit 'worthy' and though full of admiration I came away from the book liking her less.