Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas card etiquette

(19 Posts)
Vickixx Thu 20-Dec-18 11:43:41

I received a Christmas card from my brother (albeit my sil wrote it) and for the first time it said ‘To xxx & xxx & family from xxx & xxx & family. We keep in touch regularly & see them two or three times a year. I am also very close to my nephew who grew up with my children. Am I being too sensitive in thinking we are! family & I would only write that to friends & distant relatives?

mumofmadboys Thu 20-Dec-18 12:31:11

Too sensitive. Probably
your SIL was fed up with writing cards and used short cuts.

Vickixx Thu 20-Dec-18 13:05:53

Agree mumofmadboys,although I still believe that type of address is fine for friends & extended family but not for what I consider immediate family such as parents, brothers & sisters. They are immediate family and deserve to be treated as such and not separated out in a card that insinuates yours & mine when all part of the same unit. I didn’t become a non family member to my brother just because we both got married & had our own children but I can see not everyone would agree.

Anja Thu 20-Dec-18 13:12:03

You got a card. Enjoy it

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 13:36:12

I agree with you Vicki it’s a strange way to address a card to close family members, maybe tired or stressed doing the cards?

Vickixx Thu 20-Dec-18 13:43:16

I’m not saying every name should be written that would be silly. My brothers children are in their own flats now so I send them individual cards and only put my brother & sil names on their cards along with DH & I & that’s what I’d have preferred from them. Anyway just a wee annoyance & no big deal really. ?

BlueBelle Thu 20-Dec-18 14:27:53

What’s the betting she’d just written 30 others saying the same thing
Too sensitive I d be happy to receive a card and there’s no way I d remember whether they’ d done it that way last year or not Don’t stress the small stuff

Baggs Thu 20-Dec-18 14:35:17

I thought that was a standard way to write cards ?. I address envelopes to Mr & Mrs XYZ & family.

I think you are being too sensitive letting yet another thing about the traditions of this time of year irk you. That is not meant to imply that you let other things about this time of year irk you, only that plenty of people do and this looks, to me, like yet another thing.

Eye-rolling time ??????

M0nica Thu 20-Dec-18 15:55:56

I do not even understand the problem. I just write 'All good wishes' and our names on every card regardless of who it is going to, whether nearest and dearest or a business contact.

I have done so for as long as I can remember and no-one has cut me out of their will or refused to speak to me because that is all I do,

StillGame Thu 20-Dec-18 16:01:13

Why did your brother leave it to your SiL to write the card if you think your brother cares so much? It sounds like he can't be bothered to even write his own sister a Christmas card. I think you should be critical of your brother's actions rather than your SiL's actions.

Your SiL isn't a blood relative so from her perspective you and your husband / children aren't really close family to her.

MawBroon Thu 20-Dec-18 16:07:53

“Etiquette” ?
Life really is too short to even question this, let alone take umbrage.

sodapop Thu 20-Dec-18 16:32:29

Don't worry about it just enjoy receiving the card tchsmile

Telly Thu 20-Dec-18 18:42:20

Let it go, let is gooooo.

Vickixx Thu 20-Dec-18 20:22:52

Thanks for replies & yes I admit I probably do get a little overly sensitive at this time of year. Happy Christmas everyone.
???

holdingontometeeth Sat 29-Dec-18 14:01:20

Vickixx You seem to have got a lot of kisses ( xxx ) so I cant see the problem.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Dec-18 15:07:10

It's the cards that I haven't received this year that worry me !

Vickixx Sat 29-Dec-18 15:41:52

EllanVannin, We never received one as usual from one of my in laws. It was the same person who sent me a picture of a baboons backside on my birthday recently & it had some equally distasteful verse,so no real surprises haha. It never ceases to amaze me that there are people who actually use cards as a means of having a dig. ?

EllanVannin Sat 29-Dec-18 15:45:11

It's more their welfare that worries me Vickixx

Vickixx Sat 29-Dec-18 16:17:26

Yes, I have close relatives up to 30 years older than me who have stopped sending cards and that’s understandable. I do ask myself why the younger ones miss them out occasionally and their welfare is definitely something to consider cause we don’t know what goes on behind closed doors. I’ve had a nasty throat & cold virus the past couple of days so I’m posting more often to keep my mind of it. It does help & at least the temp is back to normal.