Gransnet forums

Chat

Live alone? Have this in your bedroom!

(38 Posts)
tanith Sat 22-Dec-18 21:53:50

Oooer well done for escaping ? I’d be ok as I never shut my bedroom door and I’m open plan downstairs.

Marmight Sat 22-Dec-18 21:44:23

Well done Tillybelle! Were you a Girl Guide? Be Prepared grin. Like MOnica, I have latches on all doors except front and back doors. Slightly off track, I have no key for the car, just a fob thingie and I live in constant fear of leaving it in the car and being far from home with no means of getting in. I hate it. Maybe I could wear it permanently round my neck like one of those emergency call buttons? hmm

Beau Sat 22-Dec-18 21:04:22

I live alone and luckily I never close any doors of rooms I am in - I know what you mean though as the handle of my understairs cupboard came off in my hand a few days ago and I realised how suddenly it could happen (new build too ?)

M0nica Sat 22-Dec-18 21:01:54

We have those old fashioned Sussex latches on all our internal doors, so, thankfully, cannot get trapped by a non-functioning door lock.

aggie Sat 22-Dec-18 20:43:00

It is seriously scary though , to find yourself locked in is one of my nightmares

aggie Sat 22-Dec-18 20:39:14

We could wear one of those tool kit belts that diyers on tv seem to favour smile

Marydoll Sat 22-Dec-18 20:32:06

I once went for a bath and the door handle broke, leaving me locked in upstairs.
DH was watching TV (snoozing ?) oblivious to my cries for help.
I was beginning to panic as he didn't hear me ahouting and banging and of course never noticed my absence.
I can see the the fire station drill tower, if I lean far enough out of the bathroom window. I considered screaming "Fire", in the vain hope that a hunky fireman would come and rescue me.
As well as having a screwdriver in your bedroom, always have a screwdriver in your bathroom in case your partner has a tendency to fall asleeep in front of the TV. grin

FlexibleFriend Sat 22-Dec-18 20:04:14

The only doors that get closed in this house are the downstairs loo, the bathroom and the front and back doors so no danger of being shut in anywhere.

aggie Sat 22-Dec-18 19:42:21

I am going to inspect all my door handles ! might leave them all ajar !

MawBroon Sat 22-Dec-18 19:28:35

My friend’s sister and her four friends found themselves locked in he dining room last week when the door knob came off in her hand! Widowed, she had to ring her sister and husband (who have a key) to come to the rescue. They could have got out through the patio doors but it was raining, they had no coats and the rest of the house was locked up.

BlueBelle Sat 22-Dec-18 19:13:19

My daughter had this with her front room door a few months back it just completely jammed shut and needed the whole handle thingy to be taken off to open it
I m alright in my bedroom as I have a hooks/ hanger thing over the top so it never entirely shuts
But good idea to keep a screwdriver in your bedroom Glad you got out unscathed

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Dec-18 19:09:57

And a phone! Well done Tillybelle.

Tillybelle Sat 22-Dec-18 19:06:23

Last night I could not open my bedroom door. It had me firmly imprisoned inside my bedroom upstairs. I realised, being alone, do I have to call the Fire Brigade? I had a torch in the bedroom and could see that the catch was not moving when I turned the handle. It opened towards me so I could not kick it open. I had a "jemmy" or crowbar about two feet long in my bedroom (don't ask) so I tried to jemmy open the door but my jemmy was too big to fit between the door and the edge.
I looked around and found - aha! a screwdriver! which I used some time earlier to put up a shelf and didn't put away. Thank God I am untidy! I unscrewed all the screws round the door fastener, eased the screwdriver into the gap and somehow managed to force the catch back! I then had to take the entire door catch mechanism off the door in case it locked me in again!

the lesson from this experience therefore is:

always have a screwdriver in your bedroom, especially if you live alone!