Gransnet forums

Chat

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

(88 Posts)
Nanawind Tue 25-Dec-18 23:19:44

This morning I was upset having only received a card but no present from either DH,DD or DS. I wanted to go in guns blazing about how hurt and disappointed I was. Then I read a thread posted about a little rhyme saying not everyone is my enemy so don't fight them.
I'm so glad I didn't say anything as after lunch we walked around to our sons home and they asked me to get something out of the garage. DD and family were there as well.
All the family followed me outside. I went in the garage and there was a brand new Mini in bright red. I have never had my own car.
They all started to cheer as this was my present from them all. It's also part birthday as well. I'm so happy.

lemongrove Wed 26-Dec-18 16:53:01

No need to feel guilty, after all you had a brand new car delivered to you last January too, and presumably that one was for your DH.....so now you have your own one.

ayokunmi1 Wed 26-Dec-18 16:51:52

You are blessed your family adore you and want you to be happy .What thoughtfulness what kindness. Some gifts cannot have a Price attached.never feel guilty you are worth it ,worth it worth it.
Enjoy with pride its what you have sown that you are reaping.

Nanawind Wed 26-Dec-18 16:41:02

lemongrove thank you for lowering the point of the gift. As I have never owned my own car I had no idea how much it cost. DH always bought are car as long as I could park it and it was red I was never bothered. That's why they got a mini.
Now I feel guilty that they have spent that much.

FarNorth Wed 26-Dec-18 16:37:30

Nanawind, I am delighted that your family got you such a wonderful surprise present after you going through a difficult time. sunshine

lemongrove Wed 26-Dec-18 16:30:30

Seakay never seen you post anything before but you seem to be an expert on GN ettiquette.hmm
It was simply a comment, the mini is not the cheap car it used to be in the 1960’s.Owned now by BMW with the BMW engines in the cars, even a new basic three door hatchback costs upwards of £16,000.

suttonJ Wed 26-Dec-18 16:16:07

How lovely.....but I'm sure we all appreciate that it's not the size or cost of the gift that matters. Love costs nothing.

JudiDrench Wed 26-Dec-18 16:14:51

Hooray! tchsmileSo glad that Minis are still being made. I looked on the website and found that there is an electric hybrid and that the firm is working on a fully electric car.

Seakay Wed 26-Dec-18 16:04:41

lemongrove message reported as follows "deliberately unpleasant and hurtful; obviously trying to spoil another member's pleasure; a completely unnecessary and inappropriate comment"

Auntieflo Wed 26-Dec-18 16:01:31

All I can say is Wow. Happy motoring.

NannaM Wed 26-Dec-18 15:53:38

What an amazing gift from an amazing family!! Happy Travels!

Harris27 Wed 26-Dec-18 14:09:26

You'll love it ! I have my first mini bought last Christmas with help.its my precious possession.mhappy driving!

GreenGran78 Wed 26-Dec-18 14:02:45

A fantastic gift. No wonder you are delighted.
I would never delay giving something until later in the day, though, just in case the person DID have a rant about not getting a present. Just imagine how bad they would feel when all was revealed!
My DD bought her DD a (second-hand) car for her 18th birthday. As soon as she got up she was given a parcel made up of dozens of layers, which eventually revealed a key. She was then taken to the front door to see the car, wrapped in a big ribbon. We filmed her mystified parcel-opening, and screams of delight when she opened the door.
Her brother will be 18 next year, and is hoping for the same surprise!

Saggi Wed 26-Dec-18 13:59:47

Oh nanawind...lucky you bit your tongue there isn’t it! What a wonderful family you must have. Enjoy.

Cobweb01 Wed 26-Dec-18 13:59:45

That's amazing - what a wonderful family you have. Merry Christmas!

Purplepoppies Wed 26-Dec-18 13:52:59

Such a wonderful surprise for you. What a very special family you have ?

HurdyGurdy Wed 26-Dec-18 13:52:46

What a wonderful surprise for you.

That actually brought a lump to my throat.

I hope you have many many happy motoring miles to come

ShellyBee Wed 26-Dec-18 13:30:49

How lovely - what a great family you must have, all working together for such a fantastic gift!

Chezabella Wed 26-Dec-18 13:28:43

Your lovely family has put a smile on my face Nanawind, what a fabulous present! Happy Birthday!

Jane43 Wed 26-Dec-18 13:15:11

What a wonderful, heartwarming story. I hope you enjoy driving your very own car and continue to enjoy your family who sound fabulous.

4allweknow Wed 26-Dec-18 13:12:10

Now that is a present!. You'll never ever again consider uttering a word if you think you have been forgotten in relation to anything. Your and the family's faces would have been a treat, hope someone recorded the occasion for you.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Dec-18 12:56:20

That's right M0nica, that's exactly it!

M0nica Wed 26-Dec-18 12:40:09

Its not the car or its value, it is having family who love you so much that they would club together to buy you something, you never dreamed of having.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 26-Dec-18 12:33:46

Oh nanawind that's fabulous. I've always thought that it's a damn good idea to keep your mouth shut and this proves it! I'm sure you'll treasure it.

Teetime Wed 26-Dec-18 12:23:08

Wow now that's a bit of stylish gifting Enjoy !!!

ReadyMeals Wed 26-Dec-18 11:48:16

Actually it probably wouldn't have been a disaster if the OP had let fly about the disappointment. Sometimes when you're planning a surprise, the more upset the person gets when before the know the surprise, the more fun it is anticipating their reaction when they find out the truth. smile