Gransnet forums

Chat

I was a 'Bit Deaf'

(59 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 03-Jan-19 12:46:26

As a consequence of being a bit deaf, I decided to have a hearing test, and was fitted with aids yesterday.
I seem to be having a few teething problems, so would be grateful if anyone who wears them could help.

fluttERBY123 Sat 05-Jan-19 22:32:23

How to mislay hearing aids -

1.Take one out to listen better on the phone and not notice where you put it.

2. Try to change your clothes with them on - the clothes shear them off.

3. Put up your hood ij the rain, same as changing clothes, that's how I lost one in the car park.

Franbern Sat 05-Jan-19 18:10:26

I have used hearing aids in both ears for several years, even so when I was given new ones last year, my brain still need to adjust to them and everything seemed horrifically loud for the first few days. I put them in when I get washed and dressed in the morning and they stay in until I go to bed. I do have problems with itchiness and use the olive oil stuff that is used before having your ears syringed. This I just dab on a finger and moisten the outside of the ear.

Ruby41 Sat 05-Jan-19 16:08:26

I don't wear my aids too often and this was a recent experience at my local petrol station while wearing them,having filled up and gone in to pay. Hear very loud beeps - fire alarm??
Me: What's that?
Cashier: That's the sound we hear when a customer starts filling up with petrol.
Me: Goodness, it must drive you crazy, hearing that all day!
Exit me accompanied by look of extreme puzzlement on Cashier's face!

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 21:33:13

I'll have to wear less noisy trousers if I want somewhere quiet. smile

newist Fri 04-Jan-19 21:23:33

Thats what blew me away, I hadn't noticed I couldn't hear, then a senses I didn't know I had lost woke up, its lovely if you can find a quite spot, just to listen

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 21:03:11

I did hear birdsong today, and it made me jump.
It was such an intricate tune too.
So, I looked up and saw a bird I haven't ever noticed before. smile

newist Fri 04-Jan-19 20:42:38

I have had my NHS hearing aids for about 3 years, I had most trouble hearing ladies voices, the pitch of them apparently, I can hear things I had forgotten about, Clocks ticking, my cats purring, I asked the lady who fitted them how much would they cost, she said about £1500 each, I have never had any trouble with them and the batteries are free, I would highly recommend them

Astelle29 Fri 04-Jan-19 20:20:01

I have recently been fitted with a hearing aid on N.H.S. as I am completely deaf in one ear. It is set up so that I can change it on my mobile phone to which ever situation I am in, noisy environment or universal, it is so easy
to use, better than trying too press the button on hearing aid.

Grandmama Fri 04-Jan-19 20:02:36

I wear mine all day. But I do sometimes have trouble hearing people who are very near me. The loop is great for church (and I can hear our priest whispering to servers etc and to people round the font at baptisms, quite amusing at times!). DH is infuriating, doesn't always wear them and takes them out in the evening saying they make him tired confused

fluttERBY123 Fri 04-Jan-19 19:37:33

PS You aren't supposed ever to get them wet. I once dropped one next to the car in pouring rain in the car park - went to book club unaware - when I went back they were lying there in a puddle - panicked, dried them, and they were OK. You will probably get in the shower with them on as well. Correct procedure is then to curse and throw as far away out of the wet as possible.

A friend once found one of hers in a cup of cold coffee.

mummsymags Fri 04-Jan-19 19:16:45

littleflo and jenil23 I have been wearing my hearing aids for years and recently had replacements from Specsavers (on NHS) which are superb. I am also lucky enough to have been given a loop for my tv by the local authority - amazing!! Those barmy subtitles are no longer required - although they do make you laugh sometimes - and the sound of the tv is now 'inside my head' which enables conversation over it, as well. The batteries on the gizmo last 4 hours approx. Please persevere with hearing aids everyone, I know they seem weird and can be a bit disorientating at first, as well as itchy, but it will be worth it for you and your family and friends.

icanhandthemback Fri 04-Jan-19 17:28:54

My stepdad found that wearing his hearing aids at home in a quiet room for the first week very helpful before he gradually increased his wearing of them in public.

Ashcombe Fri 04-Jan-19 17:06:56

I’ve had NHS hearing aids for over three years. At first, my long hair swishing against my ears sounded loud! As predicted, it took my brain about six weeks to adjust to them but they are great - I can hear birdsong, participate in group conversations and hear actors' voices, even when seated near the back of a theatre.
My grandson (aged five at the time I had mine) also needs to wear aids, if he has a cold. He was able to choose to have pictures of footballs on his and felt sorry for me as I was not offered any decoration on mine!
To those folk who may need them, don’t delay; it’s better to become accustomed to inserting the aids and changing the batteries whilst fingers are nimble enough to cope. The change you’ll experience will be for the better, if you’re willing to persevere. My batteries typically last about eight days; my DD was advised to change (and clean) DGS's each Sunday evening.
Happy hearing, everyone!

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 17:05:04

Thank you all so much.
I can learn a whole lot more from threads like this than I can from being given instructions by the technician. smile

fluttERBY123 Fri 04-Jan-19 16:15:01

After a while you don't notice stuff like your feet on the carpet or your clothes rustling. You do hear the birds again, I cried first time I heard them after so long. This post brings it all back, the itching and the teething problems - for a while one would not fit comfortably on the right ear but I just persevered, (about 18 months for both to be totally fine) It has been so worth while and if you are in a situation that's too loud you can just take them out - bliss.

stevej4491 Fri 04-Jan-19 16:01:36

As for batteries they last two weeks . NHS ones you just go to local pickup point for more , no charge again either.

stevej4491 Fri 04-Jan-19 15:59:44

I cannot for the life of me know why people think NHS hearing aids are not as good as mega priced ones. There is no difference in them ,apart from the price and the snobbish attitude towards them The service you get from the NHS is second to none,and you can go to have them adjusted any time you want. All for free too.

Albangirl14 Fri 04-Jan-19 15:47:55

Unfortunately not all areas have comissioned Specsavers to issue hearing aids so in my area can only go to clinic open two short mornings each week in local hospital. You can look on a website to find out which areas.

littleflo Fri 04-Jan-19 15:32:03

Those of you that wear them all the time, can I ask how long the batteries last?

Fennel Fri 04-Jan-19 14:12:49

A common scenario at our house:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOgsNX33byk

CrazyGrandma2 Fri 04-Jan-19 14:09:12

Miss Adventure I've worn hearing aids for many, many years. Everything you describe is quite normal as your brain starts to hear all the things it hasn't heard for a long time. If you wear them regularly then your brain will adjust and sort out all the background noise that you don't need to hear - your own footsteps for instance.

Again the itching can be a pain but it does disappear over time. I get it occasionally but nothing that bothers me.

All of these minor annoyances are as nothing compared to being able to hear again and so partake more fully in life. Sadly my DH is not prepared to go through the 'pain barrier' of acclimatising and so he has become more reclusive.

By the way if your hearing aids are NHS then you are entitled to a Disabled `Persons railcard. You supply your brown book as proof. Brilliant as you get 1/3 off fares, can travel at anytime of the day, can travel anywhere in the UK and a person travelling with you gets the same benefits. It seems to be a benefit that is not widely known about.

Good luck. Persevere. It is worth is flowers

Granless Fri 04-Jan-19 13:19:21

Perseverance to allow the brain to adapt.

Salsasal Fri 04-Jan-19 12:54:53

Had mine fitted a couple of weeks before Christmas, wow what a difference. The noises I hear sometimes make me jump they are so loud, I didn't realise how much my house creaks!! The noise my saucepans make when I put them in the sink/dishwasher....my husband was always shouting at me to make less noise (he also wears hearing aids). I have persevered and worn them all day every day. In fact they are so comfortable I went to bed with them in the second day of wearing them ???

Rosina Fri 04-Jan-19 12:51:57

It's so irritating when you miss one word in a sentence . I got embarrassed having constantly to ask people to repeat themselves: 'Would you like some ???' would leave me wondering what to reply!

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 12:49:14

Yes, I can turn them down.
I'm not quite sure how to 'work' them yet.
I think they're supposed to adjust by themselves though.