Gransnet forums

Chat

Family shows

(85 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 18:01:05

Was there anything which you can remember watching as a family when you were growing up?

We used to watch the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon, and then further down the line, we watched 'Kung Fu' on a Saturday night.

KatyK Tue 15-Jan-19 09:40:11

Yes I remember Torchy the Battery Boy and also Twizzle.

NannyJan53 Tue 15-Jan-19 08:14:37

Are you thinking of Philip Glenister in 'Life on Mars' Nankate ? That was set in Manchester I think.

NanKate Tue 15-Jan-19 07:59:40

I remember the actor Anthony Valentine was one of the boys at Greyfriars with Billy Bunter. I followed his career throughout his life. Don’t think he is with us anymore. Also the actor who was the policeman (with a pock marked face) in the long running series set oop north. Can’t remember his name or the name of the programme but they repeat it all the time on Freeview. I know one of you will be able to jog my memory.

Greyduster Mon 14-Jan-19 08:10:34

Yes, Lully but “the greediness was terrific!”

LullyDully Mon 14-Jan-19 08:07:46

When I was little I watched Andy Pandy, The Wooden Tops and Bill and Ben. Not to mention the Interval. London to Brighton in a few minutes and a potters wheel. Billy Bunter was the one that terrified me, his voice was squeaky.

NannyJan53 Mon 14-Jan-19 07:33:36

Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, Lassie, Champion the Wonder Horse, Daktari (with Clarence the cross eyed Lion), The High Chaparral.

Anyone remember, Torchy the Battery Boy?

When I was older (14ish) I would never miss an episode of The Monkees! I had to really plead with Dad to watch it

crystaltipps Mon 14-Jan-19 07:30:56

The Army Game, Bootsie and Snudge, Charlie Drake, Circus Boy and Rin Tin Tin were my favourites. Then Top of the Pops and Ready, Steady Go and Juke Box Jury.

NanKate Mon 14-Jan-19 06:52:49

In town tonight which I thought was rather sophisticated. Mr Pastry, Richard Hearn I think. Whirligig. Sooty, which my younger grandson loves now.

No bad language just good old fashioned entertainment, what a joy.

ninathenana Mon 14-Jan-19 06:33:06

We watched most of the above but the one that sprang to mind when reading the OP is Sunday Night at London Palladium. I seem to remember sitting in my PJ's post bath and with milk and biscuits watching it before bed.
Dad and I always watched the wrestling together.

agnurse Mon 14-Jan-19 02:33:27

Our big "family watching" time was on Friday nights. CBC, the Canadian equivalent of the BBC, had a Friday night comedy hour. At 8 p.m. it started with the Royal Canadian Air Farce. This was a sketch show that poked fun at celebrities, politics, the royals, current events, people in the news, etc. Then at 8:30 there was The Red Green Show. This centered on a man named Red Green who ran a men's club called the Possum Lodge, and his geeky nephew Harold. Red was kind of a redneck handyman/country bumpkin.

BradfordLass72 Mon 14-Jan-19 02:28:43

I was a radio child who never saw TV (at home anyway) until I was 15. I was allowed to go next door to watch Popeye.
I remember the same family hosting the Coronation with about 50 people crammed into a small terraced house living room watching a screen the size of a paperback book. But somehow we were all aware of watching history being made.

So radio programmes were :

The Billy Cotton Band Show
Jimmy Clitheroe
Worker's Playtime
Have a Go! with good old Wilfred Pickled, 'Give 'em the money, Barney'
Two-Way Family Favourites
In Town Tonight
Uncle Mac
Children's Favourites
Listen With Mother
Woman's Hour
Afternoon Theatre
Desert Island Discs
Housewives Choice
Beyond our Ken and Round the Horne
Navy Lark

Oooo, what lovely memories.....thanks for asking MissAdventure smile

KatyK Fri 11-Jan-19 15:48:22

I can imagine!

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 15:05:23

I remember her meeting a man called Vernon Smallpiece, I think.
The names she called him instead! grin

KatyK Fri 11-Jan-19 14:51:44

I agree. Eli used to call her 'a knock kneed, knackered old nosebag' and she used to say to new men she was introduced to 'you haven't had the pleasure of me yet'. Hilarious.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 14:21:13

Me too. Hilda Baker was great! smile

KatyK Fri 11-Jan-19 14:19:09

I used to love Nearest and Dearest - Nellie Pledge. smile

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 12:33:31

I used to like 'crown court'.

EllanVannin Fri 11-Jan-19 12:32:19

Peyton Place in the 70's

Sons and daughters---when I was staying in Oz.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 11:46:54

We used to always watch 'Lassie' films.
We would cry our eyes out!

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Jan-19 11:45:06

We did not have a TV when I was young so we used to go to a local hall to watch Quatermass which frightened me.

I was around 12 when we first owned a TV my dad and I loved watching Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks and Kendo Nagasaki.

Saturday Night at the London Palladium was a firm favourite as was every cowboy film made. Dixon of Dock Green was also well watched. Happy memories.

EllanVannin Fri 11-Jan-19 11:36:09

"I love Lucy"----"I married Joan". Lucille Ball was really funny. I must have been 12 or 13 at the time.

" Ada and Water " with the loveable Irene Handl and Wilfred Pickles.

Radio---" The Goon Show " " Family Favourites " ( on a Sunday ) " Dick Barton ". " Twenty Questions ". Many more

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 11:20:41

Oh, 'the ghost and Mrs Muir' was a favourite.

MiniMoon Fri 11-Jan-19 11:20:21

Top of the Form!

MiniMoon Fri 11-Jan-19 11:19:14

When I was very little we didn't have a television. My mother used to take me to my grandparents ' house to watch Andy Pandy. We didn't get a tv until I was 7. Dad wouldn't let us watch anything he thought of as unsuitable.
We did watch Zoo Time, all the wildlife programmes. I remember Armand and Michaela Dennis fondly. All in black and white too! The quiz shows were okay, Ask the Family was a favourite as was Too of the Form.
Ah, happy days.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 10:10:55

Our tv had a box on the side that you put sixpence in. (I think)
It would run out just at a good bit of a programme.