Gransnet forums

Chat

Your wonderful pseudonames

(259 Posts)
grannysue05 Thu 10-Jan-19 11:14:46

About a year ago I opened a thread about the pseudonoms that we choose to put on Gransnet.
The freshly scented Lemongrove
The mysterious Maggiemaybe ... maybe, maybe not!
Baggs I had such an image of you until I saw your lovely picture on another thread.
MawBroon such a name of authority and we certainly respect your words.
Anniebach you must be little, yet you are not!
And I could go on and on but i won't.
There were some lovely answers and now that we have a lot of new members with equally intriguing "nom-de-plumes", I thought I would ask again what made you choose yours ?
Do you escape into a fantasy world (BlueSapphire what magic that conjures up) , or are you practical (like me) and just put your name?
Please share.

PennyWhistle Fri 11-Jan-19 16:02:34

I was looking for an online name which I could remember but which meant nothing in particular. This name is also accepted on sites which insist on knowing your surname wink

Disneyfan Fri 11-Jan-19 15:58:10

Mine is just so obvious. Even though we are in late 50s we still go to the one in Paris twice a year. blush

lincolnimp Fri 11-Jan-19 15:58:00

Mines very boring, I'm originally from Lincoln and the LncolnImp is iconic

WildRoses Fri 11-Jan-19 15:57:52

My dad has always kept a garden full of roses. Over the years as his health has deteriorated the rose bushes have reduced in numbers, but in my mind Roses will always be for my dad.

hulahoop Fri 11-Jan-19 15:55:46

I had just been trying to use one outside with little success I used to love hula hooping when I was a lot younger.

Wetnosewheatie Fri 11-Jan-19 15:33:24

Mine is a homage to my now sadly deceased wet nose soft coated wheaten terrier

breeze Fri 11-Jan-19 15:32:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grannytotwins Fri 11-Jan-19 15:29:15

Mine is just as it is. I also have four older DGC, but these are so special as they were born at 31 weeks. Girl twin was a placental abruption. DD was fortunately in hospital at the time. Boy twin had to come out first, healthy. Girl twin was resuscitated for a long time. At eight months she had meningitis B. Boy had double pneumonia and collapsed lungs. They are nearly seven now and both very academic, way beyond their years. We are so lucky to have this ginger pair in our lives!

breeze Fri 11-Jan-19 15:25:44

I would like to say something romantic, like, 'It's because I breeze in, then out again, softly and gently. Like a summer breeze'.

Unfortunately, I can't say that as I chose it many years ago on another site after my favourite bar at the time wine blush

lizzypopbottle Fri 11-Jan-19 15:25:11

Pepine little kids could never manage my full name but I would never have chosen BepBep, Bush (shortened from Alushabush) or Fuff (short for Aluffafuff)! ?

kackie Fri 11-Jan-19 15:19:56

My name is Jackie and nickname at college in 1969 was Kackie. Brings back happy memories.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 14:52:26

I was going to be Miss Bee, (my surname begins with B) but my phone decided to judder, and click, and wrote Adventure, so I decided to keep it.
I thought it could either be a sort of sad name, or one suggesting happier times.

Pepine Fri 11-Jan-19 14:47:16

Mine is the family name given to me by a much younger brother about 50 years ago as he couldn’t manage my real name - I like it rather better than my real name so use it where I can (no one calls me by it any more ?)

Willow10 Fri 11-Jan-19 14:45:04

I'm another one who chose the name of my cat, who died last year aged 10. I can still imagine him wrapping himself around my legs sometimes.

MargaretinNorthant Fri 11-Jan-19 14:45:02

Mine is very boring. I had just moved house to Northamptonshire from Devon, was terribly homesick, was coping with a husband with Dementia and every thing else I tried was rejected! That was all I could think of!

Minerva Fri 11-Jan-19 14:37:43

I had been sorting through books left behind by my offspring and put aside a book about Roman gods to look through before disposal. It was on top of the pile when I was choosing a username. I knew nothing of her and simply liked the name. Googling her just now I realise that she was a bad choice. The spider is one of her ‘sacred creatures’ and she was goddess of wisdom. She was goddess of crafts though which suits me.

gillyknits Fri 11-Jan-19 14:36:00

Mines boring, I’m Gilly and I knit.

Kate63 Fri 11-Jan-19 14:33:34

I'm with KatyK, perhaps it's a Kate thing!
Still at least I'm younger on this page. Not that I feel old at all, having just returned from the gym.
Lots of you have great names, long may this continue.

lizzypopbottle Fri 11-Jan-19 14:31:05

My parents wouldn't tolerate anyone messing with the name they chose for me, Elizabeth. One day, when I was about three years old, our next-door-neighbour leaned over the garden wall and said, "Hello, Lizzy Pop Bottle!" Apparently, I stuck my nose in the air and informed her, " My name's ELIZABETH!" The story was often repeated and the name seemed a good one that few others would attempt to use.

My grandad ignored my parents' rule and called me 'Bet'. I would never have tolerated that from anyone else! Born in 1952 (the year the Queen came to the throne), there were several Elizabeths in my year group at school and we each had a different version assigned to us. Some got diminutives of the name e.g. Libby but most got Liz and their surname initial. I was LizG. Funnily enough, there were no Bets, Bettys, Besses or other such versions!

On my 18th birthday, a friend phoned and asked to speak to Liz. My dad called up the stairs, " Liz! Someone on the phone for you!" I was shocked! I'd been Elizabeth until that day. As far as my dad was concerned, I was legally an adult from that day and it was then my choice what to be called. My mother never called me anything but Elizabeth!

Funnygran Fri 11-Jan-19 14:24:56

I looked after my eldest three grandchildren quite a bit before they went to school. We usually did something special like go to soft play places and they used to 'persuade' me to go on slides with them. I heard them telling my DD that Gran is so funny, she likes to go on everything we go on. The name of funnygran stuck to me for a while!

Elegran Fri 11-Jan-19 14:24:42

Can I just remind everyone NOT to mention it if your username is a password to something else? These posts are visible to anyone who cares to look at them, and it is not difficult from all the other facts you have given while posting on other subjects for someone to work out who you are and where you live. From there is it a small step to using your password to log into your private life and getting into places you don't want to open to them.

If you have posted something on here that should be kept private, contact GNHQ (reporting your post to them is the easiest way) and ask them to delete it.

b1zzle Fri 11-Jan-19 14:22:42

LadyGracie? I have a beautiful British Blue girl too!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Jan-19 14:21:35

My Gran called herself GrannyGravy, I learnt so much from her and my maternal Gran.

JaneA Fri 11-Jan-19 14:10:23

Mouse: Many years ago my sister in law had a friend she called Mouse - ??

nannypiano Fri 11-Jan-19 13:57:48

My G S chose mine himself so as not to confuse me with his other Nanny who lived in Bristol. She has always been nanny Bristol and I nanny piano because I played the keyboard. So not imaginative at all really.