Gransnet forums

Chat

It's all in the pronounciation

(81 Posts)
Caledonai14 Sun 13-Jan-19 17:04:12

Yesterday, I was sitting behind a young couple on the bus. The man was snoozing and the mum got into a rather desperate conversation with her daughter who was aged about four. I was trying hard not to listen, but the woman sounded a little stressed as she tried to explain that, no, she would never give the little girl alcohol to make her better. She did, however, sometimes give her Calpol. The more the poor mum pronounced the medicine deliberately and correctly, the more the little girl was clearly saying: "Yes mummy, alcohol...for when I'm sick." We've all been there with children and I wondered if anyone had a similar story to share?

starbox Tue 22-Jan-19 12:24:44

My bad tempered old cat, Pud, gave a grumpy wowl when granddaughter approached. When asked why she was crying, she said "Pudding did a bad purr!"

madmum38 Mon 21-Jan-19 15:00:11

Not only children that say these things. Mum was singing along one day to Stand By Your Man but was instead singing stand by your beds. When I pointed this out to her she said she had thought the song didn’t make sense but she liked the tune lol

Nanna58 Wed 16-Jan-19 22:38:44

In his new house my grandson was enthusing about the ‘lager ‘ a cupboard where “ you can just get food!”

Sheilagh Tue 15-Jan-19 19:29:18

On returning home after shopping with my 3 year old granddaughter she noticed our kitchen window was steamy and said I think grandads cooking the tea , there’s codimenstation on the windows .
She loved trying out long words.

Longdistancegrnny Tue 15-Jan-19 10:45:08

I was planning to take my 4 year old granddaughter to the supermarket with me, and she asked if we could go to the one with the underground car park and explained ‘Grandma, it has an alligator!’ - it has an escalator from the car park to shop floor level! I prefer the image of an alligator waiting for us at the top!

Blondiescot Tue 15-Jan-19 10:25:40

A friend's young daughter once marched into the living room and proudly announced that their new neighbours were prostitutes! After some rather awkward questions, it turned out that the neighbours, far from being "ladies of the night" were actually Protestants...

SueH49 Tue 15-Jan-19 05:41:55

One of my brothers used to call Cocker Spaniels Spanner Cockiels. It took me many years to learn which name was correct and even now I often automatically refer to them as Spanners.

Menopaws Tue 15-Jan-19 02:36:06

When my brother was small he said f instead of s. Not great when having a tantrum because he wanted some sucking sweets!

BradfordLass72 Tue 15-Jan-19 00:27:47

sazzle That bring back memories of a different sort of embarrassment. When my husband and I were first married, with lived in Haw House. Whenever I needed to give my address, especially in person, I always had to spell it - with a defiant look in my eye.

paddyann Tue 15-Jan-19 00:18:32

love the helltells icanhandthemback another of my sons was "dinner shops" I would ask what he fancied for dinner and he'd tell me lets just go to a dinner shop (restaurant)

sazz1 Tue 15-Jan-19 00:17:32

When my DGS was 2 it was his aunt's birthday. Out buying a present with DD he was excitedly chanting in the supermarket Aunty C is dirty oar Aunty C is dirty oar (Her 34th birthday)

HillyN Tue 15-Jan-19 00:12:48

My daughters always used to sing along to the BeeGees song "It's only worms....." (words!)

BlueSapphire Mon 14-Jan-19 23:28:18

My DS then aged 2, always asked for grumbled eggs for breakfast (scrambled). And visiting a military airfield once he pointed at the orange windsock fluttering in the breeze and said "Look, a carrot suit!"

GreenGran78 Mon 14-Jan-19 23:18:13

Out of the mouth of babes! They are so funny! On a more sombre note - my daughter informed me that my almost-two year old GD asked her "Why?" three times yesterday. I have been warning her about the dreaded "Why?" syndrome, and it looks like it has just started to kick in! Heaven help her for the next few years! smile

widgeon3 Mon 14-Jan-19 23:14:33

elder son sang with gusto, 'Good Christian Henry Joyce' This was, in fact, the name of his best friend but son could not really understand whyHenry had had a hymn written around him and was quite jealous

Phoebes Mon 14-Jan-19 23:02:22

Just after our daughter said her first words, she started talking about a “Mocky bar” It took a while before we realised she was talking about a motor bike! Motor bikes were mocky bars for a long time after that. Another time when she was a bit older. And we were driving along she said, “Look, there’s a flat Panda!” We looked everywhere for the poor squashed creature until we realised she had misread the letters on the back of a Fiat Panda!

BradfordLass72 Mon 14-Jan-19 20:51:40

My younger son, then aged about 5 loved animals but for some reason refused one day, to have anything to do with our cat. When I asked him why, he said, a little tearfully, 'I don't want to be a cabbage.'
'What makes you think you'll be a cabbage if you pet Polly?' I asked.
'Because Mr Styles next door was telling you about a lady who had a stroke and now she's a cabbage.'

Another time, on a very crowded train, he picked up a discarded newspaper, read a few lines and asked loudly, 'Mummy, what's a brothel?'

The other son, with obvious disregard for the people on the London to Bournemouth coach, all of whom were eating lunch, held up his own bottle of Cherryade and reminisced, 'Do you remember when I puked in the Underground and everyone walked in my pink sick?'

Lindaylou55 Mon 14-Jan-19 20:32:54

At the checkout in the supermarket 33 years ago my youngest son asked me why I had put him in a tree for the wind to blow away. I quickly tried to explain to everyone listening, that he had just learned the nursery rhyme Rock a Bye Baby. Convinced some of them didn't believe me.

icanhandthemback Mon 14-Jan-19 20:04:07

My son always wanted to stay in Helltells. Sometimes, when my husband booked the cheapest hotel he could find, my son got his way! wink

MissAdventure Mon 14-Jan-19 19:43:24

My daughter was singing a Michael Jackson song.
'Hold me, like the river Jordan and I will then say to thee, you are my friend'.
Her version was 'I am a centipede, and you are my friend'.

Jaxie Mon 14-Jan-19 19:39:26

My daughter came home from infant school and asked me what was a borra too. I asked her teacher, who looked puzzled, then remembered the line from a hymn: "...only a borrowed tomb."

HurdyGurdy Mon 14-Jan-19 19:36:32

My son, aged about 6, came back from a school trip to the pantomime, and told me he really liked being in the applaudience.

And he asked me one Sunday if we were having brocciflower with our Sunday roast

starbox Mon 14-Jan-19 19:02:33

The 5 yr old granddaughter is convinced it's "two turtle GLOVES...and a partridge in a PANTRY" !

Urmstongran Mon 14-Jan-19 19:01:12

Our elder daughter when aged 3y couldn’t say ‘hippopotamus’. (Quite understandably). So the soft toy one she got was a ‘hippo pomatus’. Loved it.

Mouse Mon 14-Jan-19 18:57:32

My youngest daughter is well known for her verbal mistakes. She once described her dad and I as her intermediate family and told me a friend had battered her eyelashes. Perhaps her most embarrassing was when she stood up in class aged 11 and said with utmost confidence that an octopus had eight testicles!!