Gransnet forums

Chat

how can i vote in the next election

(137 Posts)
petunia Mon 14-Jan-19 13:44:08

Genuine question. I am so sick of the endless posturing and grandstanding of politicians of all colours, over Brexit. My trust, such as I was, in politicians has sunk to an all time low. My own MP has behaved disgracefully over the whole Brexit issue. I don’t feel that I can support that person any longer. I did write and make my views known. The response was dismissive and patronising. But I cannot bring myself to vote for the other side.
So what are my options here? Do I not vote at all? Or is spoiling my vote a better option.

Luckylegs9 Thu 17-Jan-19 18:51:12

I couldn't vote for the party I have supported all my life, I'm ashamed of them, couldn't vote for the other lot as we would be even worse off with the shambolic leadership , so if there is not another party that I trust I will just spoil my paper and keep taking the tablets.

endre123 Thu 17-Jan-19 18:31:46

It does feel as if our MPs have let us down, allowed the media and political lies, not kept themselves adequately informed. At least the third parties (SNP, Plaid, Green, LibDem) are in unity in trying to get the country together but whether they will win enough seats in a future election to form a coalition is another matter.

I never knew there was such a group as the ERG until this last year yet it has been a toxic presence on the Tory back bench since the early 1990s. The easy answer to our problems would be to vote out these MPs, they are breaking MP code of conduct by putting personal ambitions and party before the country.

In fact they abuse the trust people have put in them and we see the result in this absolute chaos now. Jacob Rees Mogg is chair of this group and he doesn't seem to be letting up in trying to break Britain away from the EU. I have no idea why anyone would vote for him or any of the group.

Devorgilla Tue 15-Jan-19 22:02:50

I will always vote. It is my action to make sure my voice is heard somewhere along the line. There is no perfect political party so you have to go with the one you agree with most even if their leader isn't to your liking. Leaders come and go - it is the natural order of things. My MP is pretty good so will get my vote regardless of the baggage surrounding her. Personally, I believe a sound percentage of MPs are honest and want to do their best for the country and their constituents. It is the media that makes us think otherwise. So vote in the next election for the party you most agree with regardless of who is leader. There are safeguards in this country on their power.

Overthehills Tue 15-Jan-19 21:46:17

Thankyou SueDonim at 14.33. You have said all that needed to be said about the SNP and their “achievements”! I will definitely vote. We got rid of the SNP in our constituency at the last GE and I will vote, tactically if necessary, to keep them out.

Labaik Tue 15-Jan-19 21:15:05

What I'm finding annoying at the moment as I keep being told that my vote for Labour in the last election meant that I wanted them to uphold the Brexit vote, whereas I only voted for them as a LibDem vote would have been a wasted one and I didn't want the government to have a huge majority [just imagine where we would be now if that had happened].

Shazmo24 Tue 15-Jan-19 20:02:47

Well we presently have a Conservative MP who just toes the party line. Doesn't bother to turn up for a local Scout Awards ceremony when he says he will and takes all the credit for anything done in our area
He's a waste of space..but the Lib Dem candidate in the last GE was so negative didn't want to vote for her...so, although I've always voted it will be tactically

sluttygran Tue 15-Jan-19 19:54:01

Well said SunnySusie!
I too live in a Tory stronghold, but always turn out to vote Labour.
I have to say that my local MP is pretty decent despite not sharing my political philosophies, and I correspond with her regularly.
We must exercise our right to vote, otherwise, as you say, we cannot complain about the state of the nation!

SunnySusie Tue 15-Jan-19 19:49:49

Please can I urge people to vote. The difference between Leave and Remain in the referendum was 3.8% or 1.3 million, but 12.9 million eligible people did not register a vote. If they had voted the result could have been very different. In fact only 37% of eligible voters in the country chose Brexit. Does this represent 'the will of the people'?
I know a lot of the discussion on this post is actually about general elections, but I still believe its vital to take part in the democratic process and register a view. We have lived in a safe Tory seat for 33 years but have never failed to turn out and vote. At the very least it means we have to find out about all the issues and can legitimately claim 'moaning rights' when we dont like what is going on. I write fairly regularly to my MP as well. How can they stay in touch with reality if we dont tell them what we think.

Kim19 Tue 15-Jan-19 19:44:30

I have two friends and one family member none of whom know each other and are all staunch remainers. Each has said if there is a second vote they will reverse to leave on 'principle'. So glad to read much of this is I am another who votes religiously and now I cannot think of a single party/person who is even remotely worthy of my vote. Very interested to discover that all candidates are shown spoiled papers but haven't enough faith to believe that they absorb comments thereon or that they would make any difference. Gosh, how jaundiced have I become?! So sad about all of the current shenanigans. I've just heard the vote result. Despair..........

quizqueen Tue 15-Jan-19 19:09:57

I live in an area where the sitting Tory MP has a 20,000 majority so my vote for someone else would be worthless should I favour someone different. At least he is a Brexiteer though so I usually stick with him if there is no UKIP candidate or a good independent. I will always go to vote even if it is only to spoil my ballot sheet. I have been to an election count and every spoilt sheet has to be scrutinised and counted so, if there are enough of them which say, 'none of the above', they will be taken notice of.

sluttygran Tue 15-Jan-19 19:08:56

Whatever else happens, this particular Tory administration MUST go.
None of the others could possibly be anywhere near so utterly dreadful.

Mycatisahacker Tue 15-Jan-19 18:12:18

chino I know it’s appaling Right now but darkest before the dawn maybe?

This crisis might propel right minded sensible politicians of the yvette copper/ Hillary Benn/ Caroline flint types to come together and some sensible Tories to form a new party? Please

GabriellaG54 Tue 15-Jan-19 18:10:08

Well then SueDonim, you'll still be wasting your vote. What a silly idea. Go, but spoil your vote?
There are some very vocal GNers who decry those women who choose not to vote after women campaigned vigorously to win that right for us.
Prepare for fallout.

AdeleJay Tue 15-Jan-19 17:54:38

It’s all so depressing. I have absolutely no idea. I can’t bear any of the present leaders. Yet I feel I must vote after all the Suffragettes went through.

I’m hoping someone will emerge who has leadership qualities & can unite us all after the chaos of Brexit. Perhaps a coalition? Don’t groan...

Chino Tue 15-Jan-19 17:44:15

I am 80 and have always voted since I was eligible but have now decided I will not vote again - have no trust in any of the current Members of Parliament

CrazyGrandma2 Tue 15-Jan-19 17:43:51

Castafiore Thank you for your input as it has given me food for thought. The GDP figures alone were interesting. I will take your advice and do some reading. I would always vote but at the moment I'm not sure who I would vote for.

Caro57 Tue 15-Jan-19 17:37:22

I feel voting gives me the right to complain but I will definitely vote tactically!

Ellie Anne Tue 15-Jan-19 16:57:18

I will probably vote SNP. I don’t support Scottish independence but we have a good mp. I can’t bring myself to vote labour or Tory and think a vote for Lib Dem’s or greens is a wasted vote.

eazybee Tue 15-Jan-19 16:48:10

One of the most sensible summaries of the current situation I have heard.Liam Fox said yesterday:

"The public voted to Leave the European Union in the Referendum.
Parliament is dominated by MPs who voted to Remain.
This has precipitated the present crisis.
Parliament contracted out its sovereignty on the issue of whether or not to stay in the EU to the people of this country. MPs had a vote the same as everyone else.
Even if they believe the wrong decision was taken, they still have a duty to honour that vote, and to deliver that contract."

The trouble has been exacerbated by a Prime Minister who is in thrall to the EU, and is attempting to deliver a deal which ties Britain ever more firmly to the EU. She has deceived her own party and the electorate.

Mycatisahacker Tue 15-Jan-19 16:29:39

Labour were becoming sensible but Blair’s Iraq war led to the demise of that.

Momentum have labour now!no sense and no credibility

Any radical
Ridiculous group has the Lib Dem’s and the Tory party has been siezed by Old Etonians. Again!

The greens are clearly insane.

I despair

Mycatisahacker Tue 15-Jan-19 16:25:08

I know it’s baffling they just used to be daft but now they are dangerous

newnanny Tue 15-Jan-19 16:24:19

I have voted Conservative all of my life but I can't vote for Mr Pincher as he is going to back May's dodgy deal. I have wrote and told me and I did get back three sides of A4. He did refer to all points i made in my email so he did clearly read it (or someone did anyway) and responded but still not good enough. He agrees the backstop is not good but is going to vote for it anyway. I won't ever vote Labour as they cannot be trusted with the economy and would no doubt go on a spending spree with tax payers money. I won't vote Green as I like driving and flying too much and I might spoil my ballot paper by stating 'no party worth voting for' in large letters. They do apparently keep a record of how may spoilt ballot papers there are in each GE. I just wish there was a Common Sense party who were moderate on all issues.

Mycatisahacker Tue 15-Jan-19 16:24:02

TEFF is a disgusting slur meaning trans excluding radical feminist which is basically any women who objects to a man with a fully functioning cock able to obtain a new birth certificate and identify as a woman.

So can access female prisons, refuges carry out gynae procedures on women who don’t realise they are men etc etc.

If you vote Lib Dem you are supporting massive erosions of women’s long fought for rights

Mycatisahacker Tue 15-Jan-19 16:19:53

People’s vote makes me laugh and the bare faced fucking cheek of those like Alistaire Campbell who ignore over a million people ( including me) who marched against the Iraq war is breathtaking arrogance.

It’s a third referendum of course if you count the first one in the 70s that was just for a free trade agreement not for political allotment by the way no one asked Us about that

My absolute fear is the ignoring of the Brexit vote will lead to a rise of the far right not seen ever in this country and make Farrage look like mother Theresa.

The hard left of momentum have hijacied labour and the far right will sieze those who feel legitimately ignored by the political elite.

Very very scary times

Nonnie Tue 15-Jan-19 16:18:37

What does "TERF-like mean? It is not in the Acronyms list.