Gransnet forums

Chat

In The Navy!

(84 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 19:54:58

It may not seem a big deal to some, but yesterday I bought a
Fine knit navy blue jumper.....and I love it.This is the first navy blue thing I have worn since my schooldays, when my primary school uniform was navy, and so was my upper school uniform, navy blue for all those years put me off for life.It’s a kinder colour than black for older women but just as good and I now wish I had bought navy things 20 years ago.
Anyone else put off by school uniform ( brown, bottle green
Maroon?)

Framilode Thu 07-Feb-19 11:14:39

Our school uniform was a navy gymslip and cream blouse. The gym slip had to be 9 inches above the knee when kneeling. OK for the younger girls but for the 18 year olds not so good. They wore stockings and the tops used to come below the hem of the gymslips. Lots of men used to line up on the edge of the grounds to stare at the stocking tops and suspenders.

lemongrove Thu 07-Feb-19 10:34:53

Did Catholic schools have the worst uniforms that the nuns could come up with to keep their girls virginal I wonder grin
It took ages to even get my summer dress off, being made of some heavy material I have never come across since, that when washed took about a week to dry.You had to wriggle out of it bit by bit until you managed to get it over your
head, and I was so petite then that you could hardly see me sideways.What with that and a heavy leather satchell, I could have walked in a force nine gale and been fully grounded.

glammagran Tue 05-Feb-19 23:57:37

Boaters featured in summer for our school uniform too. They smelt awful if they got wet in the rain.

My youngest daughter was a 6th form boarder and wore suits (from Next as they had petite sizes). Girls in the younger years wore floor length summer dresses which looked Victorian. I assumed DD would think they were hideous but she said she rather liked them.

Baloothefitz Tue 05-Feb-19 22:20:42

My school uniform was red,blazer ,jumper & grey skirt ,in summer red gingham dress never put me off wearing red being a brunette.

Gaggi3 Tue 05-Feb-19 21:59:34

I thought a scapula was a shoulder blade. I liked school uniform both for me and my children. I was not at all well-off when young so it relieved me of agonising decisions about what to wear, when there was very little to choose from. Though better off when my children were small, the uniform still made mornings easier.

Nanna58 Tue 05-Feb-19 20:33:40

Swore I would never wear navy again, now I live in it!

LullyDully Tue 05-Feb-19 18:20:27

Navy isn't bad to wear, unlike bottle green. Who wears that apart from school girls?

LuckyFour Tue 05-Feb-19 16:48:32

I hadn't thought about it but I now realise I don't wear navy. My school uniform was navy and I now put two and two together. Thanks lemon grove.

Twin2 Tue 05-Feb-19 16:44:43

Primary school ok. Then from 11 in purple striped dresses with a purple beret. Known as the spangle wrappers after the sweets in the 70’s. ?

allule Tue 05-Feb-19 16:40:55

Our school colour was purple, with mauve for summer dresses. It took me a long time to come back to these colours, but now they are favourites.
As a parent and teacher I thoroughly disapproved of school uniforms, but my children had no objection..said they liked not having to make choices in the morning.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 05-Feb-19 16:27:21

I was fortunate that my first school uniform was dark brown gymslip, blazer, hat and coat, with cream shirts and a green and white striped summer dress. My secondary school uniform was bottle green with a green and white gingham checked summer dress.

These colours suited me, so I have continued to wear them all my life.

But I was put off navy and royal blue because I was a red-head and until I started school practically every stitch of clothing I had was one of those two colours.

Blue is still only represented in my wardrobe by Levis 501, although I prefer them in black too.

winterwhite Tue 05-Feb-19 16:16:33

Talk earlier of preschoolers with cardigans down to their knees reminds me that a pair of photos shows GD1 with her jumper on starting school aged 5 covering considerably more of her thighs than did her skirt on leaving aged 18 ?

lemongrove Tue 05-Feb-19 16:07:34

I agree Chino the awful beret.....shudder.We used to try pinning it on the back of our heads once out of sight of the school.
The gymslip was impossible to hike up, so a lot of us shortened them ourselves at home ( some looked better than others.)My own needlework was never brilliant.

Theoddbird Tue 05-Feb-19 16:05:22

This made me laugh as I haven't bought navy blue since school days. My work uniform has a navy polo and fleece so I had to get used to wearing it again....The beige skirt means I am not totally navy blue though...

Happysexagenarian Tue 05-Feb-19 15:38:06

My school uniform was maroon and pale blue, very tailored, and I loved it. I still like maroon.

trendygran Tue 05-Feb-19 15:20:55

Our school uniform was red and grey . I have never bought a grey jumper or skirt and only last year bought a red jumper.,I do have some grey trousers,
but would never wear my red jumper with them. 50+ years since leaving school. !

optimist Tue 05-Feb-19 14:57:57

My family all live in Holland and it was an opportunity for much mirth when my cousins saw my school uniform. Only in UK do we have such a strange addiction to uniforms. Fortunately my grandaughters school recommends T-shirts/sweatshirst with the school name on and they can wear them (or not) with whatever else the choose, jeans skirts etc. children express their individuality through their clothes and this despite how much they have to spend, you can be very creative at customising cheap/jumble clothes.

Daisyboots Tue 05-Feb-19 14:46:40

My school uniform was tan and mid blue so we girls stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the other schools. The first year I worr a tan pinafore dress but from the 2nd year the headmistress decided to change it to a beige tweed skirt because she thought the girls could then wear it at weekends. Even worse it had to be dry cleaned so a lot of thawpit was used to remove stains in term time and then sent to the dry cleaners during the school holidays. I think the worst part was wearing dark brown knickers. I didnt mind navy blue knickers in the junior school but the brown ones faded to a horrible sludgey colour. I have never worn the colour tan since although I do like most shades of blue.

Lioness68 Tue 05-Feb-19 14:15:13

My school uniform was green and grey and I swore I would never wear green again once I left. I failed on that one because I joined the WRAC and our uniform was green. I still wear varying shades of green today.

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Feb-19 14:03:45

Missfoodlove ?
I expect it was a Catholic school!

Kim19 Tue 05-Feb-19 13:28:43

My uniforms were predominantly navy. Never stopped me wearing it later. I really loved my schools so maybe there's an inbuilt association I'm unaware of. Have never specifically linked the two until now.

lincolnimp Tue 05-Feb-19 12:41:32

My school uniform was navy skirt with bottle green jumper and lighter green aertex shirts, navy ties, and white long sleeve shirts for formal occasions (speech day etc). Navy blazer with green trim, and an interesting navy hat with badge which most of us 'adapted' to sit on the back of our heads.
Actually I loved the uniform---so much better than the brown and orange/gold of the other girl's GS.
I also like to see children in school uniform now. It actually really does help to make it easier for parents to send their children out of the door on school days with the minimum of fuss .
Most schools ask for clothing that can be purchased as cheaply as 'ordinary' clothes, and have good second hand provision.

sue01 Tue 05-Feb-19 12:34:55

First school was dark green and gold - we looked like daffodils !

Second was purple blazer with orange trim.... this was the 60s so quite psychadelic really !

Had to be navy ribbons to tie up my long blonde hair but white ribbons for tennis.

On one occasion I forgot my white ribbons and ended up in detention.

Saggi Tue 05-Feb-19 12:32:56

Grey and red uniform in primary and navy blue in senior school. Loved the grey and still do, hated the navy and still do.... although you’re right it is kinder for us oldies.Might give navy another try.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 05-Feb-19 12:09:30

Our uniform was bottle green which I absolutely loathed. It's not a colour I would ever wear out of choice or any shade of green for that matter.
We had to wear a green, yellow and silver striped tie therefore I hate ties on we ladies but I think a nice tie on a man can look very smart.