Gransnet forums

In The Navy!

(83 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 19:54:58

It may not seem a big deal to some, but yesterday I bought a
Fine knit navy blue jumper.....and I love it.This is the first navy blue thing I have worn since my schooldays, when my primary school uniform was navy, and so was my upper school uniform, navy blue for all those years put me off for life.It’s a kinder colour than black for older women but just as good and I now wish I had bought navy things 20 years ago.
Anyone else put off by school uniform ( brown, bottle green
Maroon?)

ninathenana Sun 03-Feb-19 20:01:10

I wore bottle green uniform but it's never put me off wearing green.

annodomini Sun 03-Feb-19 20:07:32

For over half a century I have been reluctant to wear royal blue which was the colour of my school blazer. And yet, if I do wear it, I find it suits me very well.

Missfoodlove Sun 03-Feb-19 20:18:30

We had to wear “ scapulas” over a navy uniform, finished with a shapeless camel coat.
No girl no matter how beautiful could “ rock” this look.
The nuns were very clever, I think most of us graduated as virgins😉

PECS Sun 03-Feb-19 20:23:16

I very rarely buy green due to school uniform! We also had to wear bright daffodil yellow shirt-waisters in the summer shock

kittylester Sun 03-Feb-19 20:24:04

My uniform was grey. I love wearing grey but hated my school.

DanniRae Sun 03-Feb-19 20:24:31

My uniform was bottle green too but I don't think I have ever worn that shade since.

B9exchange Sun 03-Feb-19 21:20:38

My school uniform was brown, and there is no way on earth I would ever wear it!

Alima Sun 03-Feb-19 21:25:39

My school uniform was bottle green, never wear that colour now. The DDs uniform was horrid brown, yuk. DGS goes to their old school now and the uniform has changed to jade green, lovely and bright. (Love navy blue, always looks smart.)

LullyDully Sun 03-Feb-19 21:50:44

Green in the Green School. I hate that awful school uniform shade of green. Put me off green. ( hated those green knickers.)

callgirl1 Sun 03-Feb-19 22:24:30

It took me a good few years to wear anything bottle green. It wasn`t the uniform as such that I hated, it was the school itself.

MiniMoon Sun 03-Feb-19 22:30:35

We were a navy blue uniform at school. I wouldn't say it out me off wearing navy though. I had a beautiful summer dress in navy once.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Feb-19 23:29:05

Bottle green - never!!
And you'll never see me in green gingham grin

Although the rest of the uniform was navy and I do wear navy.

Buffybee Mon 04-Feb-19 00:13:52

Our school uniform was Maroon and not a colour I would particularly choose to wear now but I wear a lot of Navy in Summer. I have a couple of pairs of Navy Chinos and at least one pair of Pedal pushers which look great with Breton tops or white shirts.
Black basics in Winter and Navy in Summer!

stella1949 Mon 04-Feb-19 00:46:28

My school uniform was brown, and as a nurse I wore white and navy blue. I've never worn brown since I left school, and rarely wear navy.

BlueSapphire Mon 04-Feb-19 08:12:28

My uniform was navy for the first three years, followed by grey and pale blue. I must say I don't wear a lot of navy these days, although I do have navy blue jeggings.
I bought a bright orange jumper on Saturday and am looking forward to wearing it and injecting a bit of colour into a dull winter's day.

Auntieflo Mon 04-Feb-19 08:22:25

Another 'Green Schooler' here !
A couple of weeks ago I did buy a green cardi from WS, surprising myself as I haven't worn that colour for years.

LullyDully Mon 04-Feb-19 08:31:24

auntieflo..not the Isleworth one with Miss Vine?

J52 Mon 04-Feb-19 08:49:31

My uniform was navy and had a cool, blue striped blouse, so I was not put off at all.
The school of my first teaching post had a bottle green uniform, which looked terrible and has put me off the colour, I rarely wear it.

Teetime Mon 04-Feb-19 08:59:24

Loved my school - dark and royal blue blazers. I wear lots of this... love Navy always so smart- navy tights look nice as well not so hard as black and a bit lighter for Spring?

Auntieflo Mon 04-Feb-19 08:59:59

Ohhh yes Lullydully

Marmight Mon 04-Feb-19 09:19:26

I had green, then brown,then blue uniforms. Doesn't bother me at all. I wore a lot of brown in the 70s but now find it dull & ageing, but love blue and occasionally wear green.

harrigran Mon 04-Feb-19 09:48:27

My school uniform was navy and gold and I have no objection to wearing those colours.
I quite like the idea of wearing a scapular, they do keep your shoulders dry whilst walking in a crocodile.
DD's uniform was an unflattering shade of brown, she has been left school 32 years and still resists brown clothes.

eazybee Mon 04-Feb-19 11:15:00

My primary school uniform was bottle green and I didn't wear green for years, not so much because I disliked the association but because my mother used to make all my dresses and cardigans in green so that I could wear them out at school.

MacCavity2 Mon 04-Feb-19 13:36:07

Hats! School uniform has put me off hats for life.