Gransnet forums

Chat

A moment of pleasure

(84 Posts)
MaggieMay60 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:35:25

I must share this with you.. this evening just as I was putting out the bins for collection tomorrow, a blackbird suddenly burst into song on the garage roof, what a surprise as I didn't know they sang in February, after a miserable day it really lifted my spirits! Spring is round the corner! What has lifted your spirits recently?

CanOnlyTry Fri 08-Feb-19 15:34:42

Thanks SO much MissAdventure ... lovely of you to respond xxx

moggie57 Thu 07-Feb-19 20:10:10

I have a robin that comes to the bird feeders on the tree .he sat on the low fencing and sang while I filled up the bird feeders ,he was but 2 ft away from me .i love the dawn chorus...then you get the stupid blackbird that sits under the bright street lamps and sings at 2am .right next to my window.often tell him to b off

Speldnan Thu 07-Feb-19 08:22:08

Yes a walk in the winter sunshine and noting the signs of spring and listening to the birds. Also watching squirrels.
One of my greatest pleasures at the moment is picking up my DGS from school once a week and walking with my DGD (nearly 3). She holds my hand so beautifully and I’m in heaven! Then to hear the chatter of my GS when he comes out of school- being a GM is the best!!!

OPgrndtr Thu 07-Feb-19 03:20:31

I just noticed that my daffodils are up 4 inches! They weren't there last week. Spring is coming.

Happysexagenarian Thu 07-Feb-19 00:34:25

I love to see all the Spring bulbs coming up again, and yesterday I spotted a blue tit and a collared dove collecting nesting materials. I had just cut my DH hair so I scattered it over the lawn for them.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Feb-19 23:14:43

Oops!

MissAdventure Wed 06-Feb-19 23:14:14

You may want to start a separate thread CanOnlyTry.
I'm sure you'll get some good support if you do. smile

CanOnlyTry Wed 06-Feb-19 23:12:59

Sorry! Above posted on wrong forum ?

CanOnlyTry Wed 06-Feb-19 23:10:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Feb-19 23:01:38

I can hear birdsong for the first time in what must be years, now I have my hearing aids.
Its worth putting up with the feedback when I open a bag of crisps. smile

CanOnlyTry Wed 06-Feb-19 22:57:16

Dear Sue01 you're very welcome and thank you so much for your note of gratitude xx

gardenoma Wed 06-Feb-19 22:34:08

Hearing and seeing two skylarks both singing their hearts out on this morning's walk through the fields with my dog.

BradfordLass72 Wed 06-Feb-19 22:22:20

NannyEm I see flocks of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos and Rosellas in the trees around here as well. Before I moved, we had a Kookaburra but I never saw him/her.

lmm6 I agree, a nature table was a wonderful thing in my city primary school, I used to take 'sticky buds' and catkins from my rural Auntie's garden.

Here, most children are surrounded by nature (although not always interested in it) and the subject is Environmental Ecology now.

Legs55 Wed 06-Feb-19 22:19:25

Seeing a Nuthatch on my peanut feeder, watching Robins & Blackbirds on my fence & neighbour's bird table. Hearing the Tawny Owls hooting in the evening, seeing the fox trotting down the lane.

Crocus waiting to open, hellibores flowering, sunny bright blue skies.

I'm writing this & it's lashing down at the moment, tomorrow's another day, Spring isn't far awaysmile

Juliet27 Wed 06-Feb-19 21:25:46

Yes I heard my first blackbird of the spring this morning. A couple of years ago I used to think there must be a lot of ambulances first thing in the morning until I realised it was a blackbird mimicking the sound. He did it perfectly and was around for a second year. It will probably be too much to hope I hear him again this year. He was quite unique bless him.

Tamayra Wed 06-Feb-19 21:09:47

Rainbow !

Tamayra Wed 06-Feb-19 21:09:17

Reading all your lovely insights made me a bit homesick for the English countryside
Here in Aus I have flying Pelicans that take off & land on the lake like jumbo jets Always make me laugh Winter or Summer & feeding the Rainbor Lorikeets is always a joy They are small & fiesty & chase all the bigger birds off the feeders

MaggieMay60 Wed 06-Feb-19 19:39:24

I have loved reading all the comments, its the little things in life that gives us pleasure, how lucky we are to live in a country that is safe and that we can savour the moments! Today has been a lovely day and I was outside for most of it, luckily I was not at work today and could enjoy it!

Diggingdoris Wed 06-Feb-19 19:27:51

Some years ago our borough council paid a small fortune out to plant thousands of bulbs on many roadsides throughout the town. It seemed like an unnecessary extravagance, but now I look forward to seeing them each spring. Today seeing the snowdrops and crocuses just coming into colour brought a big smile to my face and a spring in my step. I would have joined in with that blackbird if I could sing!

Astelle29 Wed 06-Feb-19 19:01:50

We have an apple tree in the garden with bunches of mistletoe, I looked out and there was a
Lovely mistle thrush sitting in the tree eating the berries, a flock of goldfinch on the feeders, and loads of snowdrops in clumps around the garden and it was so uplifting to think Spring is on the way.

Iam64 Wed 06-Feb-19 18:52:10

WE saw two chaffinches on our bird feeder, followed by blue tits and our robin.
The snow drops are up and it's beginning to look less frozen and there are possibilities for a bit of tidying up and planting.

loopyloo Wed 06-Feb-19 18:49:56

The birds are very special, love seeing them soaring in the sky.

kircubbin2000 Wed 06-Feb-19 18:43:50

A bluetit has been viewing my new Bird box. Hasn't made an offer yet.

Cambia Wed 06-Feb-19 18:08:02

Children sledging in the snow, first daffodil and birds singing on my early morning walk!

Sheilasue Wed 06-Feb-19 17:06:58

How lovely I love to hear the birds sing. When I got up this morning I heard a bird singing outside the bedroom window.
Does remind you that springs on its way.