Gransnet forums

Chat

Is Spring springing?

(55 Posts)
MawBroon Wed 06-Feb-19 20:51:35

A mild and sunny day today, aconites and snowdrops everywhere, daffodils starting to peep through and suddenly my winter boots felt just wrong.
Is it the beginning of the end? ??

Mapleleaf Sun 10-Feb-19 09:16:28

I have some daffodils about to open, and some crocus are out.

Gettingitrightoneday Sat 09-Feb-19 21:20:34

Previously (Nelliemoser.)
My garden has some primroses and other plants now showing signs of life. I am worried I may have killed off my Cotinus coggyria or last years drought did.

showergelfresh Sat 09-Feb-19 19:51:51

Pleeeeeese noooooo - I can't bear to have the Beast From the East again this year.
Spare us I beg.
It was spring-like here a few days ago.
Magical!

Fennel Sat 09-Feb-19 19:36:27

Lots of snowdrops here.
"If winter comes, can spring be far behind?"

watermeadow Fri 08-Feb-19 21:10:29

A week ago we were snowed-in and temperature was 12 below. Today was mild and very wet so I looked for signs of frogs in my pond. None yet, I don’t get spawn very early but that’s always a sign of spring coming.

Kim19 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:22:26

Just having a little smile at the vagaries of our weather. Yesterday we were wondering if Spring was springing. Well, I've a ferocious wet roaring going on outside and, as a result, I'm going nowhere. Might do a round of the property later to check for damage!

Teetime Fri 08-Feb-19 09:23:11

Glorious day on the golf course on Wednesday but its not going to be the same tomorrow at 9.18 grin

Lilyflower Fri 08-Feb-19 07:27:01

The birds are singing mightily and there is definitely flirting and courting amongst the pigeons. I hope they don’t jump the gun and regret it when the cold returns,

My camellias are beginning to flower and I have crocuses, snowdrops and primulas in bloom.

I bought a gorgeous garden bench yesterday. I must think spring will arrive.

andiacc1 Fri 08-Feb-19 00:35:06

Mine were pathetic last yr too.lol.x

Lisagran Thu 07-Feb-19 20:56:37

Cold wind today, but bright sunshine ☀️

MadeInYorkshire Thu 07-Feb-19 20:48:30

It must be - the plastic daffodils have appeared on the entrance road to my Doctors Surgery! Yuk ....

Having said that, my Forget-me-Nots are in bud and look as though they are about to bloom, and also have some roses out still!

Ironmaiden Thu 07-Feb-19 20:32:45

I reckon this happens every year now, flowers popping out only to be killed by arctic weather in March or April.

moggie57 Thu 07-Feb-19 19:50:31

no don't take any clothes off .this warmer weather is deceiving. go with the old saying "never cast a clout(clothes) till may is out. Even april can be cold..i know the flowers are in bud .but they wont flower yet .they feel the cold and go back to sleep....

Legs55 Thu 07-Feb-19 18:20:08

Having had frost on many nights & a sprinkling of snow I suspect there's more to come. Last year I was snowed in twice with the Beast from the East, 2 days each time, if I win the Lottery I'm buying a 4x4 grin

Hellabores are flowering but spring bulbs are slowhmm

Mycatisahacker Thu 07-Feb-19 18:11:33

I nearly swerved my car today coming out of the gym as there were clusters of open daffs around 3 trees. grin

Last winter was hideous with the Pre Xmas show beast from the east wiping its feet on us in March.

Can’t wait love the spring.

Urmstongran Thu 07-Feb-19 14:41:30

so

i.pinimg.com/236x/10/58/da/1058dac3e25d4dd1678634bc81e4cec7--window-cleaner-text-pictures.jpg

lindiann Thu 07-Feb-19 14:26:46

That poem reminds me of getting into trouble at school for reciting this poem my brother taught me
Little Birdies flying high
Dropping puddles from the sky
Angry Farmer wiping eye
Thanking god the Cows can't fly

henetha Thu 07-Feb-19 14:10:37

I seem to remember an extra bit to that verse,*BBbevan*..
something like -

The spring is sprung,
The grass is riz,
I wonder where
The birdies is,
The birds is on the wing,
But that's absurd!
The wings is on the bird!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 07-Feb-19 13:53:14

My snowdrops are out, but my Christmas rose is in full bloom too.

BBbevan Thu 07-Feb-19 12:45:22

Spring has sprung
The grass is riz
I wonder where
The birdies is .

Spring is well on the way here in SW Wales, although galesforecast for tonight. Loads of bulbs coming up, birds busy everywhere and the sun is shining.

farview Thu 07-Feb-19 12:15:32

this k??? Stupid phone... should be think.

farview Thu 07-Feb-19 12:14:42

Windy wet/sleety here in Lancashire..but still signs of spring in the garden and park
I love all the seasons but this k spring is the exciting one???

mabon1 Thu 07-Feb-19 11:22:38

Yesterday as I walked in the park there were red Penstemons in full bloom, they were in the lea of a tall stone wall. I had daffodils blooming on 14th January, many delightful snowdrops of course and the tulips are well on their way, bluebells pushing up too.

AlieOxon Thu 07-Feb-19 11:19:56

No sign here. I'm making do with bought little tete-a-tete daffs indoors and bunches to open in a vase... just so remind me that spring will come

henetha Thu 07-Feb-19 11:04:27

It's strange, - I've got loads of bulbs coming up, in various stages of buds etc... but one daffodil shot up before all the rest and has been in full bloom for a couple of weeks now.