Gransnet forums

Chat

Is Spring springing?

(54 Posts)
MawBroon Wed 06-Feb-19 20:51:35

A mild and sunny day today, aconites and snowdrops everywhere, daffodils starting to peep through and suddenly my winter boots felt just wrong.
Is it the beginning of the end? ??

Grannybags Wed 06-Feb-19 20:56:02

Let's hope so! Lovely warm sunshine here too encouraging the bulbs into life

Buffybee Wed 06-Feb-19 21:05:25

Today was very mild Maw, I did my bits of running around in just a thick cardigan and found it warm enough.
I would love to say, yes this is the end of Winter but after last years Beast from the East, I am on alert for a Sting in Winter's tail.

Lisagran Wed 06-Feb-19 21:14:03

Crocuses out here now and daffodils nearly there! Lovely bright sunshine today sunshine

grannyactivist Thu 07-Feb-19 00:07:19

Snowdrops, crocus and daffodils all peeping through here in my corner of heaven Devon. smile

sassenach512 Thu 07-Feb-19 00:20:30

We have some daffodils with buds just about ready to open in our garden in South Wales but I'm not fooling myself that Spring is here, I'm with Buffy Winter isn't done with us yet.

Engineered Thu 07-Feb-19 00:37:18

Spring is the best time of year.

BradfordLass72 Thu 07-Feb-19 03:18:00

If anyone lives near a Beech wood with a Bluebell carpet, please post a photo when they are all in bloom.

LullyDully Thu 07-Feb-19 08:17:33

We do have a few wayside daffs out here in Hampshire. Off to see the snow drops at Hillier gardens tomorrow.

Witzend Thu 07-Feb-19 08:19:06

Only last year there was such a lovely warm day in mid Feb that we took our coats off and sat on the grass in the park in the sun, while little Gdcs ran around in their socks.

That was shortly before the Beast From The East showed up! Too soon to put away the winter woollies yet, I fear.

Still, it won't be long - I can't believe how quickly the year is racing away already. 7th Feb! Is it me, or was Christmas only just a couple of weeks ago?

Greyduster Thu 07-Feb-19 08:58:53

Witzend!? you said the C word!!?. We were out on Tuesday at a country park near Barnsley and there were drifts of snowdrops in the grass. First I have seen. And my bulbs seem to be in bud early this year. Winter has let us off lightly so far - it can’t last.

Badenkate Thu 07-Feb-19 08:59:17

There are daffs out here in N Shropshire, and lovely long catkins on the trees - they always remind me of nature study when I was at primary school.

annodomini Thu 07-Feb-19 09:28:22

Yes there are signs of spring everywhere. My snowdrops are thriving as are the hellebores. The tiny yellow pompoms on the cornus mas have begun to colour, becoming more conspicuous every day. But don't forget: the Beast from the East arrived late in February last year. hmm

Charleygirl5 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:36:30

So far I have not had to keep the heating on low all night to save the pipes but it is early.

Kaggi60 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:00:50

Crocus out started in my pot but the frost worries me. But the daffodils grow with stem no heads did that last year as well.

LJP1 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:01:03

Yes. Blackbirds, Pigeons & Pheasants are in pairs and sparrows nesting. The woodpecker isn't drumming yet though. He usually chooses the zinc cover on the telephone cable pole and it makes a real racket.

Theoddbird Thu 07-Feb-19 10:02:09

I think we still have winter to come. Last February we had a lot of snow towards the end of the month.

SillyNanny321 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:04:03

When my lovely Forsythia bursts out in a gorgeous yellow cloud then I know Spring is on its way. Wont be too long as the buds are already there. My resident Herring Gulls have lost their winter caps & are their bright white spring shade, another sign Spring isnt too far away. Still fingers crossed ?

dragonfly46 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:09:45

Yes Maw yes - my house is full of daffodils!!

Annaram1 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:10:33

Don't cast a clout till May be out.

nipsmum Thu 07-Feb-19 10:15:59

I've been out with the dog in northern Scotland. It's cold raw and damp.yes snowdrops are blooming aconites are showing signs of life and daffodils are up a few inches, but no spring has not yet arrived here.

Gelisajams Thu 07-Feb-19 10:20:31

I work as a gardener but only between March and October. When I see the little blue iris appear I know it’s time to come out of hibernation as the worst of winter is behind us and the promise of months of warmer weather is upon us. There can always be a sting in Winter’s tail but at least it’s getting lighter.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:23:29

I don't think the winter has really got going yet and may well have more in store for us. Spring seems to get later each year but it'll be lovely as usual.

Craftycat Thu 07-Feb-19 10:30:24

Snowdrops out- daffs showing colour & my hellibores are flowering.
It's still flaming cold though.

annifrance Thu 07-Feb-19 10:30:36

The signs are there but I'm not opening a book on it.