Gransnet forums

Chat

Problem tree.

(147 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 07-Feb-19 21:40:18

My neighbour has complained for several years about a large oak tree behind 3 of the houses.All the leaves fall into his garden but the tree is between all the fences and even the council can't say who owns it. He has nagged so much that the lady behind me has agreed to cut it down and he may pay her something towards the £1000 bill.I like the tree but don't want a row but now I feel I should give her some money too. What do you think.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 21-Feb-19 15:13:05

Jalilmal108
Sycamores last for hundreds of years and grow huge like oaks and their leaves a menace as are their 'helicopter' seedlings that make their way into every aperture they can find.
I would not thank anyone who planted these seeds next to my property .

sarahellenwhitney Thu 21-Feb-19 15:02:34

Oak trees can last for hundreds of years and unless their roots are under a property which should be of concern then need left alone.

BlueSapphire Tue 12-Feb-19 10:03:32

We had a large ash tree in our garden less than 10 metres from the house, and eventually we just had to have it down. Yes we knew it was there when we bought the house, but never envisaged the problem it would become. Whenever there was a strong wind random large branches used to fall off into the garden and we used to have visions of it being blown over and falling into DS's bedroom. We had some work done to it by a tree surgeon (no TPO on it, we checked with the council). Still branches used to fall off, and when grandchildren came along I used to worry in case anything happened when they were playing in the garden. So in the end we had it down; I was sorry to see it go but it wasn't worth the worry.

BradfordLass72 Tue 12-Feb-19 05:44:03

I'm assuming the oak tree was there before the complainant - so he knew what he was getting.

Cutting down any tree, unless it is diseased or there is a very good reason (and shedding leaves is NOT), is anathema to me.

GrandmaPam Mon 11-Feb-19 16:17:33

Tried that Jalima1108 - last year the tree surgeon gave both trees a careful pruning, but they came back with a vengeance. Enough is enough

Stansgran Mon 11-Feb-19 15:10:50

We are completely surrounded by trees belonging to public land. We spend a fortune on someone collecting the leaves and we are never rid of them even when we think they are cleared up a windy night will fill the garden again. On the plus side we have compost bins in hidden corners and not so hidden corners. Would it be worth approaching local allotment keepers and asking if they would like to bag some leaves up? Might give the grumpy neighbour some company and be a way out.

CanOnlyTry Mon 11-Feb-19 14:41:05

Thanks Fountainpen. SO true! We moved to a semi-rural location a couple of years ago and were overjoyed to find that the neighbouring garden boundary housed a beautiful Oak and we were incredibly happy to discover it was protected by a TPO. We've been thrilled to see the variety of wildlife flocking to it throughout the year - of all the trees in our garden it's like "the matriach" - what an asset to any garden!

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 13:57:52

The Council really should be more pro-active westerlywind.

The one behind us is not on the boundary, it's a couple of feet inside their garden.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 13:56:25

There is only one behind us.
I wish they would chop it down - I could give them a sycamore seedling to plant there instead!!

westerlywind Mon 11-Feb-19 13:35:27

Jalima1108 These trees are horrible. Trying to get through to people who are selfish and ignorant is quite another. Getting the council to act on their legislation is impossible.
I doubt if I could even sell the house with those trees looming darkly over all the houses in the immediately area

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 12:45:31

My post was in answer to PamelaJ1

westerlywind Leylandii are another matter!

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 12:43:58

That's fair enough, I'm sure many of ours get chopped down by the lawnmower smile - but established trees which could be a couple of hundred years old are another matter.

Actually, they are not indigenous to Great Britain, I think they were brought over a few hundred years ago; they are quite invasive and have to be managed - but do provide habitat for several species of wildlife.

I do think it is sad that, with all the problems we've had with diseases resulting in the loss of so many trees, people want to chop them down because they are 'inconvenient'.

westerlywind Mon 11-Feb-19 12:43:04

My neighbour has 6 or 8 trees about 50 feet in height. They are maybe leylandii. So evergreen. They are mostly on the other side of their garden from my house. My paths are covered in moss and green algae from these trees. I want to replace my roof, pebbledash the house, have a new garage and the garden landscaped. This is going to cost a fair bit of money. I don't want to spend that amount of money to have it destroyed by uncontrolled trees. If I decide that this is an insurmountable problem and the only option is to move house I will be furious that an ignorant neighbour and horrible trees have forced the sale of a house that has been in the family for almost a century.
There are local council laws against having such high trees but the neighbours are ignoring that.
My garden is always wet and dark due to those trees.
I suppose you can guess I am no tree hugger.

PamelaJ1 Mon 11-Feb-19 12:36:58

It is beyond me to understand why the whole country isn’t covered in sycamores. We pull up hundreds of seedlings in our garden every year.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 12:30:26

We had to have a sycamore pollarded behind us because it was on a bank and getting huge; pollarding was recommended for safety reasons - but it is still there, although smaller now.
Can you not do that instead GrandmaPam?

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 12:28:10

We have just been through a lengthy process to get two of them taken down behind my daughter's house. They had TPOs on them as a matter of course when the building site was in construction
So two trees that have been there for years are called bullies and are chopped down because a human wants to build a house next to where they are growing!!

Margs Mon 11-Feb-19 10:55:18

Gosh! At this rate we won't have many trees left - and if/when the tree is gone there'll likely be something else he'll want to whine about......

Hope there's a bloody big Tree Preservation Order on it!

Elegran Mon 11-Feb-19 10:49:15

Besom = stiff broom, or difficult sharp-tongued woman.

GrandmaPam Mon 11-Feb-19 10:32:28

This 'mindless idiot' loves trees, the outdoors and birds, but doesn't love spending hundreds every year on replacing and repairing lawns and the like. Garden will never be 'neat, tidy and easy' but at least we won't have the sycamore bully looming over us! Oh and, what exactly is a 'besom'? My dictionary definition is "Besum was a four-eyed individual who was employed by Uso Yso" - would this help with the gardening then?

PECS Mon 11-Feb-19 10:13:26

Who are these mindless idiots who object to trees and birds? I do get annoyed at the pigeons who regularly poop on the garden chairs..but hey! it is a garden & that is all part of the big outdoors! People seem to want to control everything to be " neat , tidy and easy" Well life is not neat,tidy and easy.. especially where nature is concerned! Trim the tree and get a besom!

GrandmaPam Mon 11-Feb-19 09:19:34

With you 100000% on the Sycamore bullies! We have just been through a lengthy process to get two of them taken down behind my daughter's house. They had TPOs on them as a matter of course when the building site was in construction - I understand this because otherwise builders might build on every spare inch! Having re-landscaped her lawn twice now, due to damage caused by these blessed things, we decided enough was enough. Unless there are tree huggers about, and you have permission, you need to sort them out. We're having the work done this week and I'm not sure where you live, but we're paying £700 and that is for two large trees, along with tidying up and taking everything away. I can't wait!

Anja Sun 10-Feb-19 16:37:22

Good for you HiChick ??

HiPpyChick57 Sun 10-Feb-19 16:07:26

I’ve also been nagged by my next door neighbour to cut my weeping willow tree down.
She hates the leaves falling into her garden, she hates it that it attracts the birds who then sometimes sits on her windowsill and poops on her path.
Well that is all very well except that my tree isn’t the only one in the neighbourhood and that if I was to cut mine down the birds would still be around and so would the leaves. She hasn’t said anything to the other tree owners,who incidentally are men or is it because I’m on my own? I don’t know but the tree isn’t going anywhere!
Stand your ground op team up with the other lady and show a united front.
If he hates the tree that much let him sort it and maybe get fined if an order is on the tree ?

Fennel Sun 10-Feb-19 11:51:57

As someone else implied, oak trees are very slow to grow, so that one must have been there well before the houses were built.

linjon Sun 10-Feb-19 10:15:09

Please leave the tree alone!! We had 2 enormous oak trees at the bottom of the garden in our previous home. It was never clear if they belonged to us or the council but we didn’t really care. Autumn was very hard work but I’m sure it was good exercise!! We loved those trees and our planet needs them. They also support a tremendous amount of wildlife. I doubt it would be allowed to destroy them anyway. Spend the money on an industrial size garden vacuum and enjoy the trees.