Gransnet forums

Chat

Come dine with me.

(17 Posts)
annsixty Sat 09-Feb-19 18:39:26

I have said before that Come Dine With Me is one of my guilty pleasures.
Tonight while watching I must comment as I know many of our GN family are/ were SW.
One of the contestants was a SW, if ever anything was designed to malign a whole profession, it was her.
She was so "thick" the other four could not stop laughing at her.
She described the vegatables as all being "alicante" she didnt know what animals particular meats came from, she said Dr Jekyll worked for the NHS, she called croutons crujons and the final straw she thought the then President of America was called Billy Obama, she knew his first name began with B ,so everyone whose name begins with B must be called Billy.
Am I odd for not allowing for artistic license, for not expecting pure entertainment but cringing of her portraying SW so badly?

showergelfresh Sat 09-Feb-19 18:54:51

SW?

Cherrytree59 Sat 09-Feb-19 18:55:57

I'm sorry I have not watched this programme for a long time but imho someone is telling porkys.

Either the contestant is a SW and playing a game of being short on brain cells

Or she is not a social worker.
Social work requires a degree.

However a SW assistant doesn't always require a degree so......

Jane10 Sat 09-Feb-19 19:05:56

I suspect not a qualified social worker!

MissAdventure Sat 09-Feb-19 19:09:23

It couldn't possibly be. grin

Cherrytree59 Sat 09-Feb-19 19:10:05

Maybe she was confused and meant Slimming World hmm

Buffybee Sat 09-Feb-19 19:18:25

Haha! Ten for that... Cherrytree!

sodapop Sat 09-Feb-19 19:19:56

Sounds more like a leg pull to me.

annsixty Sat 09-Feb-19 19:25:24

I think a leg pull is what I thought but it was not portrayed that way and I always assumed people were what they said they were.

showergelfresh Sat 09-Feb-19 19:27:09

I ggogled SW meaning of and it said Street Worker.
Never mentioned Social Worker!
So of course I was reading the OP again and it says...
'many of our GN family are/were SW' so I'm thinking away that many of us are/have been prostitutes back in the day...
O.M.G you have to laugh don't you?
shock

showergelfresh Sat 09-Feb-19 19:27:32

googled

showergelfresh Sat 09-Feb-19 19:30:11

Love Come Dine With Me too!
I love the narrator - saw him in person once (on tele that is) and he looks nothing like I imagined.
Sheer absorbing entertainment on many levels.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Feb-19 19:51:14

I used to quite like CDWM.
But not since they dumbed it down. Now it’s less about the cooking sadly and more about abrasive personalities.
Helps the ratings I suppose.

annsixty Sat 09-Feb-19 19:56:27

I would never, ever call my fellow GNers prostitutes, how very dare you suggest such a thing?
She called herself a Social Worker.
I am dealing with SS at the moment, I am afraid, very afraid.

Jane10 Sun 10-Feb-19 09:29:37

An acquaintance was on CDWM. He's a nice man but the editing was ferocious and he ended up appearing almost as a caricature of himself. He was upset about it. The producers want to make the programme as extreme as possible and focus on highlighting arguments and character differences. Lots of out of context quotes too. Take it all with a pinch of salt.

glammanana Sun 10-Feb-19 11:24:23

I can spend a Saturday afternoon watching CDWM and 4 in a Bed.
I doubt very much the lady who you saw annsixty was a qualified SW but I do respect the job she does anyway even though she can't cook.

TerriBull Sun 10-Feb-19 11:47:34

I once watched CDWM, but haven't for a long time, I switched to 4 In a Bed for that sort of early evening entertainment. Both programmes are very staged, in so much as they tend to find contestants who have diametrically opposing views, in the hope that fur will fly, which undoubtedly it does sometimes.