Gransnet forums

Chat

Happy Families

(21 Posts)
Rufus2 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:30:45

This should help you smile or at least warble! grin

www.themagpiewhisperer.com/videos

Highlight, right click, select "use google" item from panel. Good Luck
I can't seem to create a workable hyperlink for the URL.

ninathenana Sun 10-Feb-19 10:33:25

"Page does not exist" Rufus

EllanVannin Sun 10-Feb-19 10:58:09

I love the sounds of the Aussie magpies. I've also seen them swoop at a youngster to try and grab its hair for their nests too----only to leave their subject bleeding from the sharpness of their beak.

Rufus2 Sun 10-Feb-19 12:18:31

Page does not exist" Rufus
Nina; Agreed! Clicking on the URL gets you that message, but if you highlight it, right click your mouse you should get a panel appear, to the right on my screen, and a choice to "use Google" etc. Another choice would be to type the whole URL into your browser address bar, but that could be a pain depending on your eyesight and typing skills. grin I'm using WIN 7, but others should be OK. Cheers

Buffybee Sun 10-Feb-19 12:42:54

I Googled it in the end Rufus, they're very intelligent birds and playful too, looking at what they were doing in the video.
I put food out on a bird table every morning and love to watch the robin, blue-tits and chaffinches, until the "bully boys" come along, either a flock of Starlings or a couple of Magpies and send the little birds scattering, while they polish off all the food.
Btw I was attacked by a Magpie when I visited my friend in Queensland, we'd stopped at the side of the road to buy Avocados and fruit and while going to the house to pay, this bird swooped at my head and nearly knocked me out. I think it might have been a tame one as the owner called it off. OoRoo

Rufus2 Sun 10-Feb-19 13:17:47

they're very intelligent birds

I'll say! They can tell the difference between a Pom and an Aussie from a mile away! grin
But where have you been? I'm still trying to send you that message but the system won't accept it. I sought the help of Netters and three kindly ladies helped to sort out the problem which could be you having a block on my messages. Is this true? Without you being aware it's switched on?.
Please send me another brief PM to check. Oh! Btw. glad you're back; C'mon City!

EllanVannin Sun 10-Feb-19 13:20:05

I just love their sound. also had the currawong joining in. If I closed my eyes to that birdsong I'd know exactly where I was in the world.
I used to hand feed them and the kookaburra's on my D's balcony. I miss it often at times.

Geryfelin Sun 10-Feb-19 13:52:09

This made me laugh too and reminded me of my two visits to Sydney (DS has moved there) where the local birds are so different from our own. I sent a link to dgd who will really enjoy the magpie antics in the garden. Thank you, I love that magpie sound, and the call of the lorikeets, which seem just as characterful.

Rufus2 Mon 11-Feb-19 09:43:59

Page does not exist" Rufus
Nina; have you managed to sort it yet"?
Google is the way to go by the look of it!
Let us know if you're still in trouble!

Rufus2 Mon 11-Feb-19 10:01:13

where the local birds are so different from our own
I believe the Aussie maggies are endemic to Australasia and I can't recall ever seeing them or look-alikes anywhere in S.England and from your comment it seems that things haven't changed since we left 50 years ago. I've been hooked on them ever since they took up residence and we have a daily chat; I gave up trying to warble-I'm tone-deaf and the neighbours complain, even more so if I try to imitate a "laughing" kookaburra! grin

ninathenana Mon 11-Feb-19 11:02:26

No mouse attached to my phone Rufus smile

Rufus2 Mon 11-Feb-19 11:37:47

No mouse attached to my phone Rufus
Nina; don't understand! How do you get onto the Internet then; e.g/ Gransnet? Or Google? I believe there is a work-around for desk-top PCs if the mouse goes "Kaput". But I couldn't hazard a guess about phone pads. I've never had to find out, but I will just as a back-stop. Maybe some of our resident experts can explain. Meanwhile I'll get my evening dinner out of the freezer.
Crumbed whiting or sweet- and- sour?
hmm

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 12:22:36

Btw I was attacked by a Magpie when I visited my friend in Queensland, we'd stopped at the side of the road to buy Avocados and fruit and while going to the house to pay, this bird swooped at my head and nearly knocked me out
Must have heard your accent Buffybee eh but?

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 12:24:44

Australian magpies make a lovely warbling, carolling noise, unlike the screechy creatures here.

even more so if I try to imitate a "laughing" kookaburra!
Why do kookaburras start making their racket at about 4.30 am? Before all the other birds and before dawn?

Rufus2 Mon 11-Feb-19 13:05:27

No mouse attached to my phone Rufus smile
Nina; Here we are again; chicken and mushroom risotto! Yum! grin
Now my latest brainwave; I managed to find my mini i-pad and through it's keypad it was a doddle to download that URL. No idea what phone you've got but it must have a keyboard surely, not to mention a Google icon. It's playing at my side as I type on the desk-top keyboard. You can easily download Google if you haven't done so already. Good Luck

Rufus2 Mon 11-Feb-19 22:21:09

Must have heard your accent Buffybee eh but?
That can't be it. Speaking from personal experience there's nothing more soothing than a broad Mancunian dialect. wink

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Feb-19 14:48:38

A Queenslander may not understand it though Rufus wink
eh but

Buffybee Wed 13-Feb-19 15:42:29

You could both be right about the Maggie not recognizing my Mancunian accent Rufus and Jalima, the bird totally ignored my friend and just attacked my head.
Have you totally lost your accent Rufus?
That's a shame if you have, my friend who left Britain 50 years ago, soon caught the accent again after I'd been with her a couple of weeks. smile

Buffybee Wed 13-Feb-19 15:48:41

Rufus! It's you who have blocked PM's somehow!
Just tried it now and a message came up that you are declining PM's.

Rufus2 Fri 15-Feb-19 10:17:01

Have you totally lost your accent Rufus?
Buffy; No way! As a Mancunian I'm proud to have retained my humble heritage and I can still do voice-overs as Mr. Ramsbottom in memory of Stanley Holloway's Albert and the Lion.! After a couple of reds I can even do a bearable rendition of Gracie's "Sally". All with overtones of Strine!
I admit it would sound 'orrible, especially if true! grin
No! I'm impeccable M/c with just a dash of Strine! OoRoo smile

Buffybee Fri 15-Feb-19 10:33:27

Good on you Rufus!
You can cheer on The City with your Manc with a touch of Strine accent. "Up the Blues" !!!!!smile