Gransnet forums

Chat

Ouija Boards

(165 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 10-Feb-19 20:46:43

Have you ever used one, or would you be too frightened to?

Do you think its a lot of old claptrap, or should we not mess with things we don't understand?
Are they a gateway to 'the other side', or a way of possibly unleashing something that should be left well alone?

ninathenana Mon 11-Feb-19 06:48:32

I did once when on a school residential trip. I only knew one girl from the dozen of us and none of the others had met before as we were all from different schools around the country.
The board spelt out a boy's name and one girl began to sob. It was the name of her brother who was killed in a RTC. Explain that confused
Haven't touched one since. Although I don't believe you can make contact.

LullyDully Mon 11-Feb-19 08:03:42

We used to do it when we were teenagers, with scrap of paper and a wine glass. It was exciting when the glass moved but never found out much. Best left alone I think.

TwiceAsNice Mon 11-Feb-19 08:07:58

I agree with Annie it is dangerous a way of letting evil spirits into your life

BlueSapphire Mon 11-Feb-19 08:12:27

Years ago as a bit of fun, nothing ever happened and haven't even thought about it since.

SpanielNanny Mon 11-Feb-19 08:13:57

I did one when I was a teenager. When I looked out of the window later that night, there was a tall, dark figure standing at our garden gate.
Now as a woman in my 60s I’m inclined to believe it was actually my overactive, childish imagination (or a random dog walker or something). But it was enough to scare me off ever doing it again!

Greyduster Mon 11-Feb-19 08:18:44

Once in my late teens. Scared me stiff! Never since!

lemongrove Mon 11-Feb-19 08:36:29

Yes, as a teenager with my Mother and an Aunt, a few times.
The glass raced round the board and when it was idle spun very fast we could hardly keep a finger on it.
What I think is that we formed a circuit, we all have ‘electricity’ and glass is a natural material.
Our minds did the rest, as when it was spelling out words we were pretty sure what the next letter would be.

Willow500 Mon 11-Feb-19 09:09:10

Strangely we were talking about this with some friends we caught up with on Friday night. She has had a few sessions with a group of friends and says her dad comes through every time but when she's asked if he ever visited her mum he says no!

Back in the late 60's when it was very popular to scare ourselves silly I tried it with a friend. My parents had a dinner party one night and they thought it would be a good idea to have a go. As I was so intense about it I was of course the one who set it all up. They'd obviously had a bit to drink and my dad thought it would be fun to make it a bit 'real'. We lived in a flat above a shop so he went downstairs and banged on the ceiling with a broom handle 3 times grin Needless to say they all fell about laughing and I was extremely cross!

Fennel Mon 11-Feb-19 09:10:18

When younger a group of friends used the ouija board.
Until one day it predicted a gas explosion in Glasgow - and it happened that evening shock
That was the end of that.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Feb-19 09:15:21

Claptrap
I m afraid all clairvoyance is nonsense and charlatans making money out of vulnerable people in my opinion and Ouiji boards are another manipulation but can be very dangerous for some people s mental health

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 09:18:58

I just posted the following on the wrong thread, my iPad jumped !

I know priests who have been asked for help after people used these boards

Elegran Mon 11-Feb-19 09:29:00

When many fingers are resting on the glass it is very easy to influence which letter it goes to. Try it without all the supernatural hooha and the letters - a clean glass on a kitchen table with fingers lightly touching it skitters about like a nervous kitten.

You don't even need to do it deliberately - if it is wandering about and veers a bit towards, say, T, then some people think that is where it is heading so their eyes and minds go ahead of it, and their fingers follow. With one letter "picked out", some minds (it only needs one) think of the next (a vowel? an O?) and off it goes obedient to their thoughts and unconscious pressure. By then everyone who knew a Tom is thinking "It must be Tom!" and lo and behold - it goes to M.

When the next question is asked, there is an expectation that it works, and that "Tom" is ready to answer, so anyone with a Tom in their lives is primed to recognise whatever answer makes sense to them.

If one of the company thinks themselves psychic, or is feeling mischievous, there is even more chance of getting "messages".

Elegran Mon 11-Feb-19 09:34:51

I believe that the evil that some people find when they meddle with psychic stuff comes from deep within them. We all have the capacity for being bad, but it is kept in check by our even greater capacity for good. People in trouble look for answers and authority in things like ouija boards, and some come to depend on this source too much. An obsession with supernatural powers can lead them to concentrate on the darker side of their unconscious mind. The intervention of a priest can shift that concentration to a source of good.

SalsaQueen Mon 11-Feb-19 09:35:22

I don't believe in ghosts, spirits, etc., so I think it's a load of old tosh.

Fennel Mon 11-Feb-19 09:38:50

I think this was the explosion;
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarkston_explosion
BUT - it says it happened at 2.50pm, and we used to meet at about 3pm. So perhaps someone had already heard about it?

NfkDumpling Mon 11-Feb-19 09:57:12

I tried it with friends when a teenager. Only four of us. One girl seemed to be having an effect on the board and it didn’t work when she was out of the room but did when she was there even though she wasn’t touching the glass.

Maggiemaybe Mon 11-Feb-19 10:19:36

I'm not in the least suggestible, but neither am I close minded. I'm sure most so-called psychics are nothing of the sort, but am equally sure that others have a gift. And as a teenager I had experience of an Ouija board session predicting a very unexpected death in such detail that I would never use one again, and would warn others off them.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 10:25:01

Elegran how does the evil within smash China whilst we sleep ?

Theoddbird Mon 11-Feb-19 10:35:45

They are dangerous. Our mind has powers that we do not understand or even know about. Energy can be unleashed. I have seen the glass smashed....

Hollydoilly10 Mon 11-Feb-19 10:42:38

Some things best not messed with and in my opinion this is one of them.
Find another way or get a reading from a nedium

Elegran Mon 11-Feb-19 10:42:39

I don't know, Annie but china falls off shelves for many reasons.

A friend had a small display unit hanging on her wall, with china in it. She noticed one day that everything had shifted forward until things were leaning against the front glass. Getting everything out without anything falling and breaking was impossible - she lost a few valued items. If she had opened the front without noticing, a lot would have fallen inexplicably. Vibration had gradually moved things until they met the door.

I have a large rug in a room which isn't used much. I can go in there after a week or two to find the rug a couple of feet away from where it used to be, when no-one has walked on it or even near it. Heat variations and the sun coming in the window cause that.

nettyandmasey Mon 11-Feb-19 10:44:32

My dad used one when he was doing his national service.It spelled out “You do not believe in me” frightened the life out of them. The never tried it again

harrigran Mon 11-Feb-19 10:45:17

Sleep walking Annie, I have done some weird things in my sleep. I once climbed on top of a dressing table and woke up as I was hauling myself up the wardrobe next to it. I have rearranged household ornaments, found them on window sills in neat rows when they were on a sideboard when I went to bed. I have laid a table in the kitchen.
I have always sleep walked, parents used to find me in the bath or standing in front of mirrors screaming because I could not get through the door.

Craftycat Mon 11-Feb-19 10:46:18

My late Mum went through a Spiritulist stage & found great comfort in it.
I used to work for a magazine that dealt with all that sort of stuff & went to a lot of Clairvoyents with a colleague to check them out. We saw quite a few & only one was so unbelievably accurate for both of us that we were shocked. Everything she said was true & it was in such amazing detail. I found out that night I was pregnant with my first child & he would be 10lb 5oz He was & also born on the day she foretold- 2 weeks late as it happens. My colleague was told something about her family that she had no idea about & she dismissed it until she told them & they confirmed it was true. She was so glad she had found out.
It saved her marriage.
Still open minded about it all though.

BRedhead59 Mon 11-Feb-19 10:49:40

I can't even read the other posts it scares me so much