Gransnet forums

Chat

Ouija Boards

(165 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 10-Feb-19 20:46:43

Have you ever used one, or would you be too frightened to?

Do you think its a lot of old claptrap, or should we not mess with things we don't understand?
Are they a gateway to 'the other side', or a way of possibly unleashing something that should be left well alone?

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 10:16:18

It's our spirit guide, the Persian called Rug!

He goes wherever he likes.

Elegran Thu 14-Feb-19 09:41:56

Thank you, Harrigran I was beginning to think I was considered a bit loopy to believe that the rug had moved at all!

Elegran Thu 14-Feb-19 09:40:21

Mine does, NFKD The day before yesterday I moved it to lie right next to the hearth. I have just looked and it is now an inch away from it. This carpet does that to any rug. No-one has walked on it. I went into the room to open and close the curtains but I could do that without crossing the rug. The south-facing windows let the sun shine in for most of the day.

harrigran Thu 14-Feb-19 09:33:48

Fact, rugs creep about the floor. I had persian rugs that would be lying flat at bedtime and when I entered the room on a morning the rug would be climbing up a chair or table leg. This can be stopped with cat claws but I took the rugs up as they were a trip hazard.

Anniebach Thu 14-Feb-19 08:52:44

My husband would have driven the usual route the A470 if it hadn’t been blocked, not a narrow road over the mountain

NfkDumpling Thu 14-Feb-19 08:45:49

But, Gettingitright, this rug creeps when no one has walked on it or been in the room with it! Or did I misunderstand?

Riverwalk Thu 14-Feb-19 08:42:39

And many dead bodies in sleeping bags in fields

Your friend's envelope made no mention of a dead body though did it? Or even anyone in distress. If she'd been more specific maybe your husband would have stopped earlier in the day when he saw the car.

Your husband was a police officer in a rural area - any crimes/incidents would likely involve, fields, laybys, gates, trees, fields, etc.

Anniebach Thu 14-Feb-19 08:13:16

And many dead bodies in sleeping bags in fields

Gettingitrightoneday Thu 14-Feb-19 07:18:08

When something unusual happens it is very easy to then start to remember another occaision when something strange happened and recall that.
Toots experience may well be that of a rug moving as the pile on a rug "creeps" when you walk on it.
We have had that with our, rugs it moves on top of another particularly as one ends up getting pushed against the wall.
Sorry to disillusion you.

GabriellaG54 Thu 14-Feb-19 03:35:49

Many country roads in Wales, many lay-bys, many trees by gates near lay-bys. Many cars parked in lay-bys...even in Surrey.

Anniebach Wed 13-Feb-19 10:53:02

Can you explain this Grumpygran ?

Over coffee with a friend who was a medium she gave me a sealed envelope for my husband , who most certaintly didn’t believed in that sort of thing ! We were in a coffee shop not giving or having a reading,

The envelope contained a sketch , a road, a lay-by , car in lay by. We had no idea where this lay-by was, so many country roads here. She had written - I don’t know where this is , when you pass there act quickly .

About two weeks later my husband had to give evidence in a court 20 miles away, he and a fellow police officer started the drive to the court, bad accident had blocked the road, they took a route over a narrow mountain road, got to the court. After the proceedings my husband told the driver to go back over the narrow mountain road, something was niggling him. They came to a lay by, a car was parked there, it had been there when they drove past earlier in the day. They stopped, checked the car, climbed over a gate ( as in the sketch), in the field was a body in a sleeping bag, the poor man had taken an overdose, he was dead. My husband did say to me ‘ if I had checked that morning we may have saved him’. Where I live we have so many narrow country roads going over the mountains, many hill farms , vans, cars, tractors not unusual in lay bys by fields.

My friend had even drawn a tree to the left of the field gate.

Lily65 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:38:23

A creepy happening......I was walking down a usually busy street near my house when it all went quiet and there was a strange warm breeze . I saw a playing card face down and I knew it was red 6 of hearts.. I turned it over and indeed it was. It was very strange.

GrumpyGran8 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:23:29

I'm disturbed by the number of people on here who are scared by ouija boards. Unfortunately, I don't have much advice to give to them except to learn about how these boards operate. The glass isn't guided by spirits, but by human hands, so ether somebody is deliberately guiding it (easy to get away with if the lights are turned down, which tends to happen when somebody suggests using one), or someone's tiny unconcious movements are spelling out stuff.
As for mediums and psychics, I shall add to my previous post that most of the mediums I encountered during my Spiritualist phase were decent people who genuinely thought they were helping. What they were actually doing was 'reading' people - making guesses from a person's appearence, voice etc. This, BTW is called 'cold reading'. There is 'warm' or 'hot' reading, when the psychic already knows things about the person. For example, many of these mediums I saw travelled regular ciruits from Spiritualist church to Spiritualist church, so would have encountered the same people again and again. Some mediums were evidently old friends of some audience members, greeting them afterwards and stopping to chat. So it was pretty obvious to me where they were getting their information from.
And these days, you don't even have to have met somebody to know a good deal about them - you just look at their Facebook page!

If you're planning to visit a psychic for a reading, my advice would be give a fake name, and record the whole reading; if the psychic says she can't work if you're recording, walk out.
My wholly non-psychic prediction is that if you listen to the recording a few weeks or months later, you'll realise that those accurate predictions you remembered weren't all that accurate, and that you gave the psychic far more information than you thought.

Anniebach Wed 13-Feb-19 10:10:36

No * Blondiescot* not a cynic, I think it’s natural to question ,

Blondiescot Wed 13-Feb-19 10:04:44

Anniebach, maybe I'm just a born cynic and sceptic...

Anniebach Wed 13-Feb-19 10:01:23

Can we have positive proof for everything ? We are told we are loved by someone , no positive proof, no scientific tests

muffinthemoo Wed 13-Feb-19 09:57:45

I was inspired as a schoolgirl by a line in a Belle and Sebastian song to try turning tables in Marks and Spencers, with great success.

(You will never fail to turn tables with anyone vaguely credulous in the group)

Blondiescot Wed 13-Feb-19 09:51:39

"Perhaps some who dismiss faith, afterlife etc don’t want to believe there are things beyond their control ?"
Or perhaps some just look at these things from a more logical, scientific point of view and don't believe in things until we can see positive proof that they exist?

TerriBull Wed 13-Feb-19 09:45:26

Reading through this thread, like others, a crowd of us mucked about with them at school, occasionally with some alarming results, we tried to levitate as well, but without success sad

I have a very open mind as to spirits and the after life, in fact I'd say I'm more persuaded by such concepts than disbelieving in them.

Anniebach Wed 13-Feb-19 09:23:17

Perhaps

Elegran Wed 13-Feb-19 09:19:59

And perhaps some who see a mysterious supernatural hand in everything (not just faith and afterlife but natural occurrences) do want to have some other power take over controlling the things that happen to them, keeping no responsibility at all but being a child still?

Anniebach Wed 13-Feb-19 09:09:21

Perhaps some who dismiss faith, afterlife etc don’t want to believe there are things beyond their control ?

Elegran Wed 13-Feb-19 09:08:09

OK, Toots it may not be heat variations that move the rug, but it is not that people walking on it shift it in the direction of the carpet piue - if no-one has entered that room, it still gradually migrates across the floor. A lot of sunshine comes in from south-facing windows, so I believe that the rug fibres get warm and perhaps cause a tiny expansion, or maybe static. I don't believe that the spirits of past house-owners are trying to send me a message.

Gettingitrightoneday Wed 13-Feb-19 08:46:29

Yes I have done it with school friends, hasn't every one tried it?
You all scare your self and that as far as that goes.

Toots Wed 13-Feb-19 05:13:32

Like others I messed with an ouija when I was very young..each of us asked a question that couldn't possibly have been known by the others, and that person would remove their finger from the glass while asking said question..I don't remember what others asked but my question was answered perfectly correctly...no one else would have had an inkling...we stopped at that point.. scary stuff when you're 13.
Also I have sister who is VERY psychic.. a few of my family were, some not really realising, but she is the only one who has read for people, in many ways, done distance healing, etc..she even described a friend's new house abroad down to the last detail, all perfectly accurate even though she had never seen it or photos of it, in fact didn't even know about it until her friend told her. She even sat next to someone in a bar one night, where she lived in Spain, and was suddenly swamped with information about this person... a tentative chat eventually confirmed all was true. I asked her once how she received all this information and she said it came in the form of voices mostly, but sometimes she would be shown a picture, as in the details of her friends house I suppose. She has a very good reputation, and although she no longer practices much still has people asking for her, many of them strangers who have heard by word of mouth.
I've had my own small experiences that make me believe..no, not a vivid imagination, real inexplicable experiences. It's not science as someone suggested..how would you know unless you are a scientist and can prove your theory... but I've given up trying to convince other people..I appreciate that it takes experience to believe... as the saying goes "To the believer, no evidence is necessary...to the non believer, no evidence is enough"