Gransnet forums

Chat

How times have changed

(148 Posts)
marionh Sat 16-Feb-19 17:38:44

We have friends coming over this evening for a takeaway and have been trying to decide between Indian and Chinese. It got me thinking that these days we can get whatever we like delivered to our door, ready to eat, but when our children were young the most exotic it ever got was a Vesta curry or chow mein. Anyone else have fond memories of these? I suspect if I had one now it wouldn't taste anything like the 'real' thing but back then we thought it was amazing

annep1 Wed 20-Feb-19 07:30:14

Missbuttons that looks good! thanks.
Daddima- butterscotch instant whip.
I loved Birds trifles that you made from all the little ingredients in the box including artificial cream and coloured sprinkles.

Litlmissbuttons Wed 20-Feb-19 01:58:42

You could try Bisto Chip Shop Curry Sauce

knickas63 Tue 19-Feb-19 15:48:30

My husband an I went on a caravan holiday to the West Country in our late teens. We lived off of Vesta Meals for the whole week!

Margs Tue 19-Feb-19 10:34:03

And I occasionally buy those ready-made sponge flan cases - fill up with a can of tinned peaches and slap on a carton of whipped cream.

Ah, lazy days!

ditzyme Tue 19-Feb-19 10:04:17

Loved the prawn curry, and the chow mein crispy noodles - not so keen on the rest of it. Fray Bentos steak pie in a tin is something else I remember from that era - my father loved them

Daddima Tue 19-Feb-19 03:45:39

I remember the Angel Delight, and also Instant Whip ( or ‘ Whip it Quick, as my wee auntie called it!)

Bathsheba Mon 18-Feb-19 21:52:24

The lemon meringue pie filling was made by Greens - I believe it is still available, but don't quote me on that.

Anyone remember Foster Clarkes soups? They were solid blocks, that you crumbled into boiling water - the original instant cup-a-soup! They were scored, so that they could be broken into, I think, 4 pieces, with the remainder being re-wrapped for later use. As far as I can recall, there were only three flavours available - tomato, oxtail and something else, which I can't remember now - chicken maybe? Very handy for adding to stews, casseroles, and pies.

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Feb-19 20:18:46

Dream Topping and Angel Delight ..... swoon.

bikergran Mon 18-Feb-19 18:45:35

Lol the BIRDS trifle..and dream topping!! I loved it sooooooo much I used to steal the dream topping out the packet and seal it back up..when my mum used to open it she would say oh """ theve forgot to put the dream topping in lol!!! I did confess many years later,

Yes they still sell it in my place of work smile dream topping and vesta chow mein

live7 Mon 18-Feb-19 16:05:03

Yes the lemon merinue capsule dissolved eventually as you stirred it - I used to love helping my mum make this for a special tea!
I remember Vesta in the late 70s when I was at Polytechnic and we had to cook our own meals - thought these were so great - the first ready meal? Watching the noodles curl up when the oil was hot enough is my favourite memory.

annodomini Mon 18-Feb-19 15:43:24

We used to have lemon meringue pie filling made from a packet in which there was a little capsule containing the concentrated flavouring. Pastry and meringue had to be made separately. I can't remember the manufacturer. We loved it and thought it very sophisticated. I think I'd still fancy a slice. grin

Gonegirl Mon 18-Feb-19 14:54:53

I bought 6 packets of the Vesta Beef curries from Amazon a little while back. I Loved them back in the seventies. Made one up. Couldn't eat it. It was horrible. Threw the rest away. [shck] Weird how your tastes change.

Wobbles Mon 18-Feb-19 13:32:52

Saturday night was always Vesta night. Paella, Beef Risotto or Chicken Supreme and we were allowed to eat it in front room watching the telly!! Happy memories

Londonpussycat Mon 18-Feb-19 13:11:00

OMG those are a blast from the past. I used to love the Chicken Supreme . Thinking back now, the whole idea of those dried chicken pieces.. yuck.
Saying that , I popped into a shop with my daughter about a month ago and saw them again, sadly not the chicken supreme.
I have yet to try it. I wonder will it rekindle those memories of the 60’s ?

Daddima Mon 18-Feb-19 11:49:50

I’ve just seen Beef Curry on Amazon! Reviews aren’t great, but I’ll give it a try. 3 for £11.30.

Daddima Mon 18-Feb-19 11:39:51

Vesta was my first taste of curry. I loved it! Then came the Beef Risotto and Chow Mein. Chow Mein is still available ( Morrison’s, Home Bargains, and B & M) Amazon also have Chow Mein and Prawn Paella. I loved Beef Risotto with white bread and thick Lurpak, but it seems to have disappeared, as has the curry.

oldgimmer1 Mon 18-Feb-19 11:39:42

I still occasionally have the Chow Mein, complete with burnt noodles.

My favourite is the Paella though. Up until very recently, thy could be had in my local Poundstretcher.

I have fond memories of coming home from teaching practice, making a buttery Paella and eating it off my lap in front of Brideshead Revisited.

Classy! And straight to the hips..

4lyndon6 Mon 18-Feb-19 11:31:59

Green’s Cheesecake Mix in the same category! My Mum’s contribution to a birthday tea! When she died in 1994 there were at least 6 packets in the pantry.....all out of date!

annodomini Mon 18-Feb-19 10:54:23

Living in a bedsit, I used Vesta curries a couple of times for convenience, but never really took to them. Earlier, in Uni residence, we were often presented with something described as 'curried eggs' - the eggs were obvious, but, with hindsight, I realised that 'curried' was an understatement. The sauce contained raisins and was merely mildly spiced. Vesta curries were only slightly spicier!

Margs Mon 18-Feb-19 10:46:54

Ah, yes, Vesta the Cardboard Curry - but actually it was pretty OK if you doused it liberally with HP ketchup.

Always useful to have stashed in the back of the cupboard for emergencies, anyway.

Jzpap Mon 18-Feb-19 09:47:27

My mum totally relied on these in the late sixties and early seventies. She made them once or twice a week for my Dad. I remember the paella, the risotto, the curry and my personal favourite the chow mein which had the double whammy of both soft and crunchy noodles but was slightly more complicated to cook. Happy days!

absent Mon 18-Feb-19 05:14:13

Tried the Vesta meals a couple of times when I was a student with access only to gas hobs. Gave up and cooked stuff from fresh, which was a) tastier, b) healthier and c) looked appetising.

oldgoat Sun 17-Feb-19 23:59:50

Gaggi3 Scott's emulsion was, unfortunately, still around after the war. I remember being dosed up with it and it's foul, fishy taste. But I loved Virol.

BradfordLass72 Sun 17-Feb-19 22:16:24

have been trying to decide between Indian and Chinese.

Why not order both?

pinkprincess Sun 17-Feb-19 21:36:38

I loved Vesta Beef Curry was addicted to it at one time