Gransnet forums

Chat

Symmetry

(97 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 22:11:36

Do you have your ornaments (if you have any) set out in a symmetrical way?
How about bottles of perfume and things on your dressing table?
I fitted (after a fashion!) cushion floor in my kitchen recently, and the lines of the pretend tiles veer off slightly to the left.
Could you live with that?

Chewbacca Sun 17-Feb-19 22:16:59

Nope! grin I'm rather anal about symmetry Miss A. Can't leave a chair sticking out at an angle or a tea towel not hanging straight. Not sure which annoys me the most; the wonky tea towels or the fact that I can't ignore it!

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 22:20:14

I used to be very concerned with symmetry.
My mum and daughter always joked that my ornaments were lined up like soldiers.
Large ones to the outside, getting gradually smaller until they met in the middle.
Now I don't seem to care.

MiniMoon Sun 17-Feb-19 22:21:21

Nah, as they say, "don't sweat the small stuff". My bathroom and bedroom are higledy pigledy, but things are better arranged in the living room.

Urmstongran Sun 17-Feb-19 22:21:42

I’m a Virgo MissA so symmetry is very important to me! Straight lines have to be ‘level’ or what might happen to mankind? Your kitchen floor would drive me nuts —so I wouldn’t look down unless I had to!

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 22:27:10

Oh you Virgos!
My ex was exactly the same.
smile

Urmstongran Sun 17-Feb-19 22:36:21

It’s part of our charm! ?

Chewbacca Sun 17-Feb-19 22:40:18

But I'm an Aries!

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 22:40:49

Only part of it, I'm sure. thanks

annep1 Sun 17-Feb-19 22:41:07

I'm been living with that for a few years. When we got our new kitchen fitted the centre worktop unit which divides the dining area and kitchen was slightly off and it didnt show until the cushion floor was laid. (Do tradesmen ever do a perfect job?!) Its a fraction but noticeable to my geometric eye. It did really bother me for a while but no way would my husband do anything about it. He didn't see the problem. So I've got used to it. We have jobs planned for this year but next year we will get new cushion floor, hopefully one without straight lines. Or adjust the unit.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 22:42:20

I bet you'd have the cushion floor pulled back up and thrown away and a new bit down in a flash, chewbacca

annep1 Sun 17-Feb-19 22:47:05

I'm like that about towels in the bathroom folding teatowels etc. Bedspread has to be centred exactly. My food cupboard is continually tidied. It annoys me that I'm like that. Husband is is laid back compared. I do envy him. I'm sure its healthier.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 22:49:37

I have certain things that I like lined up, but the kitchen floor, well.. Its blooming heavy doing it on your own.
I was so pleased with my cutting skills until I stood up and saw 'the lines'.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Feb-19 22:50:23

'Fraid so Miss A!
I had new kitchen worktops fitted last year and when it was finished, I saw that the joints had been nicked right on the edges. Tried living with it but it was all I could see, every time I was in the kitchen. Joiner moaned about having to do the affected area again but, as it was his mistake, it had to be done. I need therapy

Cherrytree59 Sun 17-Feb-19 22:52:09

Don't have many ornaments.
Although do have some pottery (black & white symmetrical design) on the mantlepiece arranged symmetrically.
Hope that makes sense

I prefer things arranged in odd numbers.

Planted pots in garden are always arranged in odd numbers. Usually 3 or 5s smile

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 22:54:55

I know people who can't have the volume control on the tv set to an odd number.

popsis71 Sun 17-Feb-19 22:57:06

Couldn't stand it. Have been known to straighten pictures in other people's houses. Don't get asked round much anymore.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 22:59:54

smile
Do you think it borders on ocd?

Beau Sun 17-Feb-19 23:01:23

It depends - towels I like straight but ornaments and (e.g.) fridge magnets - never straight ( looks too ocd to me ? )
Floor covering - no, despite being right wing politically, the one thing I can't stand is fuss about 'imperfections' in the home - I really am just grateful to have a roof over my head and feel I would be 'cursed' if I cared too much about fripperies of appearance.

Scribbles Sun 17-Feb-19 23:25:04

I am a Virgo and I don't give a flying fig about symmetry! If you find anything neatly lined up or precisely arranged in this house, it happened by accident! Life's too short to worry about all that. smile

grannyqueenie Sun 17-Feb-19 23:25:44

popsis71 I’m like that my lovely young neighbour has beautiful pictures and framed photos on every wall but not a one is straight, I have to sit on my hands!

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 23:27:11

Oh good! smile
Its nice to know that.
Makes me feel a bit better about my kitchen.

Beau Mon 18-Feb-19 00:01:21

I'm a Virgo too - the type with the 'untidiest desk in the office but who knows where every paper clip is under all the mess'
(I read that in an 'alternative' astrology book once and it summed me up well ? )

stella1949 Mon 18-Feb-19 04:14:34

I'm very particular about symmetry and general tidiness - what the younger generation would call OCD. Though I'd never call it that - OCD is a mental illness and not just being neat and tidy.

Everything needs to be symmetrical around the house , I don't like anything wonky , and will go back and tweek something which looks wrong.

NotAGran55 Mon 18-Feb-19 05:47:56

I’m a Virgo and love symmetry. In my eyes there is nothing more beautiful than Georgian property to rest my eyes on .