Gransnet forums

Chat

President of the U.K.

(253 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 08:39:36

Forget the Windsors, who would you choose for President?

Scribbles Mon 18-Feb-19 10:18:13

Doreen Lawrence would get my vote.

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Feb-19 10:20:52

Scribbles I’ll second that. Much as I don’t approve of much about the HofL there are some good people there.

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 10:22:40

Doreen Lawrence is a member of the Labour Party

Scribbles Mon 18-Feb-19 10:26:54

Did I miss something, Annie? Does the imaginary Pres have to be apolitical? If so, I can't think of anyone except me. Perhaps kittylester and I could job share?

janeainsworth Mon 18-Feb-19 10:27:41

I think Mrs May regards herself as the first President

No Rosie. A certain T. Blair did that first.

It is hard to see how any campaign could avoid becoming political, even if some vacuous celebrities were standing.
So our tradition of an apolitical head of state would be gone forever

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 10:35:01

No campaign could avoid being political , so we would have

Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Feb-19 10:44:40

But jane you can have a political hos with an approach that is inclusive, non partisan and balanced and puts country first. As for the HofW being apolitical - come on they stand for the right wing values of inherited privilege, wealth and power. What’s apolitical about that?

Jane10 Mon 18-Feb-19 10:46:57

Do you think Mrs Merkel might consider it as a retirement project? I always liked her.

mcem Mon 18-Feb-19 10:49:26

Rosie your utopia is not my utopia and I regard myself as a decent citizen!
Might be difficult to find someone with a track record of public service, impeccable character and apolitical!

PECS Mon 18-Feb-19 10:52:06

I think POTUS has his eye already on the 'little ole UK!' shock

I think that because our political system has not been set up for this approach then it is hard to imagine how it would work. Of course it works in many places very well!

petra Mon 18-Feb-19 10:54:26

Jane10
I don't think Mrs Merkel would get a majority of votes in this country at the present time wink just saying grin

PECS Mon 18-Feb-19 10:56:19

If we rule out anyone with a political affiliation then that rules out almost everyone! I cannot think of a single person of any standing who would not cast a vote in an election! If they did would they be right for the job! ?

janeainsworth Mon 18-Feb-19 10:59:46

As for the HofW being apolitical - come on they stand for the right wing values of inherited privilege, wealth and power
That’s what they stand for to you, maryeliza. I doubt if HM or Prince Charles would agree with you!

megan123 Mon 18-Feb-19 11:01:50

Barack or Michelle Obama

annodomini Mon 18-Feb-19 11:04:58

If only Sir David Attenborough were 20 years younger, he would be my choice.

annodomini Mon 18-Feb-19 11:06:33

PS. Just an afterthought - Nicola Sturgeon!

PECS Mon 18-Feb-19 11:08:56

To be fair Janea I don't imagine them voting Labour! Chaz might go green and Queenie loves Balmoral so maybe SNP? grin

janeainsworth Mon 18-Feb-19 11:23:37

PECS grin
I’ve always thought of the Queen as a one-nation Tory sort of woman and imagine she’s as despairing as many of us are at the current polarisation of British politics.

PECS Mon 18-Feb-19 11:48:14

Indeed.. I would agree with you janea
She is a conservative witb a small c..certainly

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 12:17:07

The OP, ‘ forget the Windsors’ ?

dragonfly46 Mon 18-Feb-19 13:29:52

I second Michelle Obama but would she have to become a brit? Good for the girls though!

paddyann Mon 18-Feb-19 13:32:30

non political only? How about Magnus MacFarlane -Barrow ,founder of Mary's Meals where salaries are capped at £60k per annum and they feed over one million children a day .Well respected world wide and doesn't have a lavish lifestyle...or Robert Winston knowledgeable in his field and happy to give his opinion on world matters ...a woman I particularly admire is our own Madam Ecosse Winnie Ewing though she's getting on a bit but she is certainly known and admired by millions and can give as good as she gets .
There are countless people who would do a great job and show that we move with the times and aren't stuck in the middle ages with a monarch and her ever increasing band of parasites .I dont hold out much hope though as so many of you think Lizzie walks on water and you will never vote for change .That of course is part of aging ,holding onto what you know .The next generation may well see it very differently .

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 13:40:41

Two Scots paddyann ?

Teetime Mon 18-Feb-19 13:42:53

Dame Judy Dench- she's done most other roles.

Parsley3 Mon 18-Feb-19 13:49:34

No Windsors? But they would be commoners so can’t be banned from being considered. Can we not choose Scots either?