Gransnet forums

Chat

Lost for words?...

(33 Posts)
Scribbles Mon 18-Feb-19 18:20:04

I would OF gone, too, if only I'd OF known about it!

Dontask, every time I hear a clip of TM uttering anything, she appears to be talking of, e.g.: getting the best deal for are country. Maybe it is a regional thing but it grates on my ears.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Feb-19 18:08:00

Drives me mad too, popsis

popsis71 Mon 18-Feb-19 18:04:53

I would OF gone - arrrgh drives me nuts!!!

Dontaskme Mon 18-Feb-19 17:52:04

How can you tell if Theresa May is saying are or our? I've just said them to myself and they sound the same to me!

Mapleleaf Mon 18-Feb-19 17:38:35

I think, though, with the spoken word, a word can sound different to how it is written. In conversation, we tend to speak more quickly, so that it seems as if some words have been shortened or blended into each other. There are, too, regional differences for the pronunciation of words so that, for example “our” can indeed sound like “are” when someone is saying something during a conversation. Now reading out loud, I think most people would read and say the words as they are spelt, with an accent perhaps, but not as different words.
Spelling is another matter of course, and writing “are house” rather than “our house” would be incorrect.

Toots Mon 18-Feb-19 16:53:24

Scribbles... ?
I am ashamed to say.... and I can't believe I didn't notice.... that I've just seen on something I posted yesterday that the predictive text changed our to are!... how did I not see that!.... should have gone to Specsavers...lol!

Scribbles Mon 18-Feb-19 10:31:46

Oh, this trend for are instead of our is driving me crazy! One of the worst offenders is Theresa May. Count how many times she says "are country". Aaaaaaagh!

Toots Mon 18-Feb-19 10:26:36

A dear friend of mine very often uses the wrong, but similar sounding word, in a sentence.. Malapropism I believe it is called.. she will burst into laughter if I point it out..which I try not to do too often, but then am struggling to keep a straight face myself!... I wish I could remember her best ones but there have been so many we giggle over...
What I do find annoying though..and maybe I shouldn't... is how some of our words are disappearing completely.. my pet hate is people using the word "convince" instead of "persuade"....to me its an entirely different context... "persuade" being a softer option..more cajoling than commanding maybe....and how people sometimes substitute totally irrelevant words for the correct one...such as "are" for "our"... i.e. "when we got to are house...".. and another is "loose" instead of "lose"... i.e... "I didn't want to loose it" ..an entirely different meaning altogether...
Maybe I'm just being a moaning old minnie!