Gransnet forums

Chat

Peterborough then Huddersfield ?

(94 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 21-Feb-19 13:32:07

Anyone live in either of these towns?

The new league table of 'cr*p towns' by website ILiveHere.co.uk reveals the areas branded 'grotty' and 'run-down' by not-so-proud residents.
Almost 50,000 people responded to the survey, which is carried out every year.

What is it really like living in any of the top 10 worst places? Are they as bad as they are painted?
Here are the worst areas:

1. Peterborough
2. Huddersfield
3. Rochdale
4. Doncaster
5. Hull
6. Rotherham
7. Blackpool
8. Castleford
9. Oldham
10. Blackburn

Are they awful? Lack of investment during years of George Osborne’s austerity measures won’t have helped. But if you live in one of these places - what’s it REALLY like?

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Feb-19 11:46:46

Ha ha! I love York!

Daisyboots Fri 22-Feb-19 11:47:31

When I visit England I usually stay in Peterborough because I have family there and also because it is easy to get to most places from there. I would think the main reason for it being on the list is the large amount of people born abroad. It has a thriving city centre and plenty of work for those who want to work.

petra Fri 22-Feb-19 12:01:48

This is what it said about my home town (Southend)
'Face to face with the missing link' grin

leeds22 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:04:52

Just checked out this unpleasant website. As someone else said, it's a clickbait site, best avoided. Do Yorkshire & Lancashire people really have such a low opinion of their towns? And I've never heard Otley described as grotley Otley despite living in or around the Leeds area most of my life.

Brigidsdaughter Fri 22-Feb-19 12:09:12

My cat.. I get that. I live in London and it's another planet compared to much of the UK which is generally 'South centric' anyway.
I have lived and worked in Birmingham for a few years too (I loved Brum❤) and Manchester n Liverpool. Various other. Worked in debt management in recession and really felt for 'out of Londoners in housing not worth the debt, little hope, the esp for older people. Really got to me.

So.. Yes, I really get why Brexit. It was a message from people who felt they had nothing to lose.wrong election for it though (imho).

I HATE the attitudes held against poorer places. So arrogant and as if residents wanted to be poor and unemployed, etc

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 12:10:05

I think the local town here once got a high rating..
The gossip about it on the local 'mingers' community board was hilarious! Mingers is the locals self chosen name as we live on the Ming!

nannypiano Fri 22-Feb-19 12:12:00

Lowestoft is listed as one of the worst places to live, but I lived there for six years and would live there again tomorrow if I could. I loved it. Beautiful beaches, hardly any rain or frosts. Quite a few years behind the rest of the country, a lot slower pace of life and generally much cheaper cost of living. I'd say to anyone wishing to retire at the coast, try Lowestoft, it's so much nicer than described on the stupid website.

GreenGran78 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:19:18

I have just visited the site, and looked at the review for Liverpool. I am appalled! This beautiful city, visited by cruise ships and renowned for its friendliness and sense of humour is described thus......."Having grown up in this city my entire life, I cannot stress to people outside of this city looking to move here that you will heavily regret your decision, and your children will also receive constant abuse for sounding remotely different from the shrill, nasally accent that every ‘scouser’ communicates in (even their own name baffles me. Why would you want to be collectively referred to as a type of stew? Liverpudlian works fine, sorry the rest of the country calls you by a collective term with 3 more syllables than your feral minds can comprehend). I can’t put into words just how miserable growing up in this horrid place has been. The people attempt to grind you and your individuality down because they fear people with more than single digit IQs and who dress in clothes other than the latest black track suit. They cannot comprehend someone the same age as them can speak differently. They despise anyone with any modicum of individuality in their den of squalor."
This is just a small portion of the vitriol pouring from this person's pen. In actual fact the Scouse accent is fast, and sadly, fading, as are most local accents in these modern times.
If this review is typical of the comments on this site then I certainly wouldn't give any credence to it.

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 12:32:48

There are people who spend their whole life on social media making inane comments..... oh wait a minute , is that what I …. hmm

Seriously the venom and vitriol that some folk spit is dreadful! I tried Mumsnet once or twice.. but life is too short and I know too many lovely people to spend time with!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:38:16

All towns and cities have their good parts and bad parts -many of the richer areas are right next to the bad ones. My part of town is fairly nice but after many Bank Holiday weekends I drive to town and find that the bus stops have been kicked in and the waste bins turned over which is minor compared to some things.

pen50 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:16:18

I know two of them a bit, and wouldn't classify either is awful. When I remember back to some of the grot we put up with in the seventies I think almost everywhere has improved enormously.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Feb-19 13:28:37

I've just read the most ridiculous review of my home town. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though as it references a nightclub that closed down at least 15 years ago. grin

Day6 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:44:04

If you look at who writes those reviews I would say they are culturally challenged.

They find offence because a town has council estates (Don't they all?) and they pick out the odd fight, the odd bit of litter, the groups of youngsters who hang around.

They don't see the surrounding fields, the flower planting schemes, the decent transport net-works, the good people, the excellent OFSTED reports for schools in struggling areas etc, they choose to focus on the bad, the boarded up shop (haven't most places got them now?) the charity shops, the lack of nightclubs and the number of people wearing hoodies.

The reports tend to be written by the young or those who have narrow horizons or some issues because of an incident involving them.

Every town and city tends to be slated. (You probably wouldn't want the writer as a next door neighbour is my view! grin)

icanhandthemback Fri 22-Feb-19 13:45:47

I was very disappointed in Blackpool. I was looking forward to this very famous seaside town but it was just grotty. When I visited Hull years ago, I couldn’t believe they had private security firms policing the streets because of the crime and violence. We camped out in a park and there were some very rum characters about although the evening spent in the pub watching England play (David Beckham was given a red card) was one of my best evenings ever. The company was very welcome despite the disappointment of England losing the match.
My DIL hails from Huddersfield and although the culture is worlds apart from our southern town, I quite enjoyed my stay there although some of the poverty is awful.

Scotsbonnet Fri 22-Feb-19 13:47:29

We live on the outskirts of Peterborough and my first thoughts when I read the story was "sounds about right".

The historic parts are quite nice - the cathedral and surrounding buildings etc but if you want to do any shopping, the town centre is best avoided. We tend to go to Cambridge or Leicester, perhaps Birmingham for the day rather than go to Peterborough. And if you fancy taking a train anywhere, think twice before parking at the train station - they charge £15 per day. Yes, you read that right! I did a rough calculation based on numbers of spaces (not including the overflow) and figure they bring in around £1000 a day.

The town planners have forgotten how to attract people in, they haven't kept up with peoples' needs and seem to think that we'll all be delighted with re-profiling the main road and adding in more traffic lights to control traffic (5 in less than a mile).

I know its easy to criticise but I really can't find much to rave about in Peterborough, which is why we live 10 miles outside it and only go there if we really have no other choices.

Town planners, take note!

GabriellaG54 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:57:45

I'm pleased to live in an area in which street cleaners are seen every morning at 6am (Yes, I'm up and out by then...usually) emptying the street bins and looking for leaves to pick up.
Things get attended to here very quickly, regular gutter and kerb washing and flower baskets/tubs tidied.

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 14:09:20

Are you in Waverley??? shock

Drwatfam Fri 22-Feb-19 14:39:02

I live in the amazing , quirky city our Hull . I've been here 30 years. It has its deprived areas , like everywhere else but it has amazing places. There are wonderful buildings with fantastic architecture. The city has many large parks and green spaces . The people and kind , chatty , friendly and there is a real sense of community .
There are many famous names who haul from the city and there is much musical talent .
There is a great history to the city . William Wilberforce and his work to end slavery is well known but the city was involved in the English Civil War.
There is a rich fishing heritage and the city was badly damaged when it was targeted by German bombers in WW2 .
Our city really is worth a visit and really doesn't deserve to be labelled a " crap " town . I'm sure the other places on that list don't either .
Come and visit . You will love the quirky warmth of the place and it's people.
Sadly I am planning to move away to be with family . I will miss Hull very much .

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 14:41:10

Sounds well worth a visit..Drwatfam

Drwatfam Fri 22-Feb-19 14:42:27

I wish I had previewed my above post before posting . Spell check makes me look illiterate ! Sorry for all the mistakes !

HannahLoisLuke Fri 22-Feb-19 14:55:42

I thought the survey was done by the people who live in the towns, so it's their own opinion of their towns.

Anyway, the only one I have any personal experience of is Hull. My ex was a student at the school of architecture in the 70s and I spent a few weekends there.
My memory is of wide treelined avenues and large Edwardian villas, along with many streets of small terraces and a lovely regenerated docks area.
Has it gone downhill since then?

Magrithea Fri 22-Feb-19 15:18:32

If you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a disclaimer that the posts are for entertainment purposes only - must have a warped sense of humour then!

Shazmo24 Fri 22-Feb-19 16:19:33

I'm very surprised that Croydon isn't on there as it's full of drugs!

Pippa22 Fri 22-Feb-19 16:25:10

I have been to Peterborough recently for a few days with a friend and we had a lovely time. We thought it was really buzzy and found plenty to do.

Foxyferret Fri 22-Feb-19 16:25:37

I live inPeterborough and there is nothing wrong with it. Lovely cathedral, lots of nice cafes and good selection of shops. Of course there are some run down areas but that seems true of any town.