Gransnet forums

Chat

How naughty were you at school?

(129 Posts)
Millie8 Thu 21-Feb-19 22:45:06

Why I remembered this today, I can’t imagine. While at primary school, I found a poor little dead mouse on the playing field. Wanting to share my find, I picked it up by its tail and ran around wiggling it in front of everyone. Little did I know that Mrs Chalmers had been watching me from the staff room window. Back in class, she hauled me in front of the whole class (mortifying for little me who didn’t like to be seen or heard) and gave me a right dressing down, then told me how disgusting I was. When she demanded to know what I had done with the “despicable creature” I told her innocently, that I had put it in the bird’s nest on the nature table (right next to where she was standing) well, she went ballistic! Unfortunately, this all happened at lunchtime of parents evening………

Would love to hear what you all got up to!

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 11:45:28

My music reports make amusing reading and would never pass current standards expected of teachers' report writing

"PECS must aim for a sweeter tone" grin
& the following year
"PECS must not blow so hard down her recorder" shock

newnanny Fri 22-Feb-19 11:49:15

At primary school i had to get the school bus which was sometimes late. I and 2 friends were punished every time our bus was late. Children in other class on late bus never punished as nice teacher. Made me hate school. In secondary school we set off on cross country run passed teacher checkpoint then caught bus and got off just before next checkpoint. Unsurprisingly we were first, second and third. Then got in trouble for refusing to represent school in country trials. Parents brought in to school. Still refused many detentions later. I also stole a mini bottle of valuable brandy with wooden ladder in French room. Turned out a parent had let French teacher borrow it for display. blushWe did not know that as thought it was his. Wore platform shoes when not allowed to. Wore makeup and lied and said we had none on, naturally long black eye lashes. Rolled up our skirt nans to make skirt shorted. Deputy head used to make kneel on floor first day of each new term and measure with long ruler 2 inches above our knees. Then we hid glasses of chemistry teacher and he was as blind as a bat without them. Graffiti in girls toilets about deputy head. We made sewing teacher cry she was so upset she wad told by head to display our articles for parents evening and we sewed them badly and wrong lots making same mistake, then told parents teacher never told us how to do it properly. Parents then pointed out to teacher a lot of girls made same mistakes she could not be instructing them properly. Guess what i did for a living? Yup became a teacher. grin

sarahellenwhitney Fri 22-Feb-19 12:02:34

Pranks ?disruptions ?No way would you, if from my experience of school days 'want to think about it'.We were not 'saints' but knew our limits. Not only would I feel the wrath of a teacher but contend with my parents who would be informed of their child's' behaviour'.

lindadoughty650 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:04:49

Quite a lot of us remember the injustices. My last year at primary school the teacher decided to strap the whole class for some nonsense perpetrated by a few. So incensed by the unfairness, when it was my turn I moved my hand out of the way as the strap descended, and teacher hit her leg. Did this twice before I was sent to the head. Fine, the head liked me.

At convent grammar, I really really, hated PE. Was sent out of class for talking. You were supposed to go to teacher at the end of the class and apologise. I saw this as a "get out" so never apologised and never went back to that class. That teacher never mentioned it, so I think we both won.

Niobe Fri 22-Feb-19 12:07:59

I was 5 and a half the first time I got the belt in school. On very wet days we had to stay in our classroom while the teacher went to the staff room for tea. Imagine 40 five year olds left unsupervised for 15 mins! Some ( OK a lot of us) thought it would be fun to climb on the desks and jump from desk to desk and when the teacher came back everyone caught on a desk got the belt! Including me. To give her her due she did not use a lot of force and the sting soon dissipated.

aggie Fri 22-Feb-19 12:13:11

I got the cane once , but it never made contact ! I was a wee softie and whipped my hand away every time the Nun tried , she burst out laughing and sent me back to my seat .

breeze Fri 22-Feb-19 12:14:11

Very naughty indeed. At school and everywhere else. grin At primary school my partner in crime and myself made one of the boys lie in the road to see if he would get run over shock He didn't. And we liked him. Imagine if we hadn't.

Later, in cookery lessons (when I was there) we would run to the front desk while our very nice teacher was in the stock room and throw pastry onto the ceiling. When she came back and it warmed up, it would drop off onto her head grin (I'm laughing evily)

We played truant, smoked behind the gym blocks (there were 4 gyms) and all sorts. After school we would jump on the back of our boyfriends' scooters and zoom off. In school uniform!

The odd thing was, they wanted me to stay on confused

One funny memory. My sister played truant one day. Walking down the road she saw my step mother (her mother) so she scooted down a side turning, ran down to the shops and jumped on a bus. Giggling with glee at her
cunning escape guess who was sitting on the bus! Ha! Yep, her mother. She was frog marched back to school grin

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 12:17:26

My brother , on his first day at infant school (1968), was put over the head's knee and walloped for not eating his lunch hmm
I then had to go with my mum each morning to take him so we could each hold a hand so he did not grab on to the gate.

He remained a picky eater for years...he is not now!

jocork Fri 22-Feb-19 12:24:32

I was pretty naughty at school but it looked worse than it was on my school report. In the 3rd form I held the school record for detentions. This was because my form tutor was a neighbour and my mother in her wisdom had told him that he mustn't worry about punishing me if I misbehaved as she wouldn't come round and complain. As a result I became the scapegoat for all class misdemeanours. I was never punished for anything I didn't do but often took the whole blame for something lots of us were involved in. I didn't mind the detentions but I did mind the trouble I got in when I got home. My mother never believed me when I said it wasn't just me!

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 12:25:22

Newnanny and they say kids today are badly behaved! I too chose teaching as a career!
Despite all my schemes and attempts to leave at 16 my school made an exception as ,although I only got 5 o levels and 2 CSEs the results , so they said , did not reflect what was my true ability! Damn! Then they also made me deputy head girl confusedFoiled again!

Grandma70s Fri 22-Feb-19 12:25:28

I can’t believe how violent some of your schools were. There was no physical punishment at either my junior or senior school. Both were all girls. At my infant school I was once hit on the hand with a ruler for not knowing my seven times table. How I despised the teacher who did that!

Daisyboots Fri 22-Feb-19 12:26:16

I was quite well behaved at school but my 3 years younger brother didn't like school and would refuse to read etc. One day I was summoned to his classroom by his teacher the formidable Miss B. She told me that my brother refused to read and I was to make him read. I replied "But I can't make him if he wont read". She thought that was impertinent so I was sent back to my classroom with note from Miss B. Mrs L my form teacher then made me hold out my hand palm upwards and was given 5 whacks with a ruler. I felt that was very unjust and held a grudge against her for the rest of the year . She had the cheek to write in my autograph book under her signature. "Smile and the world smiles with you"

nannypiano Fri 22-Feb-19 12:28:03

When I was in the first year at primary school, we were having a pt lesson in the playground. A girl came up to me pointing at my red knickers with my skirt tucked in. That was our pt kit at the time. My knickers should have been the school colour brown, but we were poor and mine were second hand bright red.She was laughing and shouting , look at her red knickers. I went closer to her and asked her to repeat what she'd just said, which she did. Then I smacked her face very hard. Her face turned as red as my knickers, but I was never ever bullied at school again. I didn't get into trouble either. I never forget that day.

Grammaretto Fri 22-Feb-19 12:32:38

I cant ever divulge my worst crimes but I remember being in trouble for wearing only one plait when the band had snapped from the other and being called a slovenly girl!
I used to draw cartoons of the teachers in my jotter and pass them around oh the shame when this was spotted by the nice French teacher and my jotter confiscated.
I won a prize for my handwriting once but the teacher spotted my rough work jotter and was shocked by it's messiness I think she demoted me.
I sprayed my Clarks regulation Brown laceups gold but I think I was in the 6th form by then so no longer scared of authority.

Dontaskme Fri 22-Feb-19 12:34:23

I got expelled. Enough said smile

KatyK Fri 22-Feb-19 12:38:26

At primary school, if we were queuing up outside the classroom waiting for the teacher and one child was caught being naughty', we all got the cane.

Craftycat Fri 22-Feb-19 12:40:09

I was as good as gold at primary school & I loved it. I did very well there & always got good marks & was class monitor & 'head' girl.
However when we took 11 plus & I passed, I got into a very 'good' Grammar school & may parents decided to send me there despite my pleading to go to local Sec. Mod with all my friends.
Subsequently I sulked for the next 5 years & must have been a nightmare to live with & to teach ( except for Cookery, English Lit & languages). I don't think I ever went to a science class after the first week of term when they took our names. I spent a lot of time in girl's 'bog' smoking & reading magazines & my parents despaired at my grades for most subjects.
After O Levels ( I passed English, Spanish, French & Domestic Science by some miracle because I liked those subjects & the teachers)
We were all expected to come back & take A levels but I walked out of there feeling free for the first time for years & never looked back or stayed friends with any of my 'crowd'. I went out & got a job & informed my parents I was never going back.
And then I became a normal human being again.
I often wonder how I would have turned out if I had gone to the other school- my best friend went there & came out with the same no. of O levels as I did- in different subjects but they all count. We are still 'best friends'.
I have always told my sons to listen to their children if they express a preference for certain schools- we certainly listened to them when we had to choose schools.

grannyactivist Fri 22-Feb-19 12:48:42

I would never have dreamed of being naughty at school (or anywhere else for that matter). When I was a child school was my safe place and if I'd had money I would have paid to go there. Compared to life at home it was an oasis of peace and calm. It was warm, I had free milk and the teachers often gave me a biscuit to go with it. I had a cooked lunch and more books than I could read in a lifetime. The work was enjoyable and when I'd finished mine I helped others in the class. I got on well with most of the children and all of the teachers as I was both compliant and a peace maker. In my final year of junior school I was made head girl. I loved, loved, loved it.

Then I started at the local grammar school......................! sad

widgeon3 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:56:14

loved that too Granny activist

GreenGran78 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:07:05

I attended a girls' grammar school, and was very well-behaved and painfully shy. I even used to suffer agonies rather than put my hand up and ask to go to the toilet.
After a needlework class, when I was 13, the teacher picked up some paper from the floor. It was a very smutty story that someone had written. Unfortunately, she decided that the writing looked like mine!
Imagine my horror at being called before the (very intimidating) headmistress. I was a complete innocent, in every sense, and wasn't even sure what I was being accused of doing.
Luckily they must have realized from my demeanour that I wasn't the culprit, and I was allowed to go. Eventually the girl who HAD written the sexy story was detected, and expelled. She had a history of bad behaviour, and that was the last straw! Both the needlework teacher and the head were middle-aged, unmarried, and very strait-laced!

Ashcombe Fri 22-Feb-19 13:37:43

I thrived at primary school but was overwhelmed by the mixed grammar school as I never adjusted to no longer being the brightest in the class nor to studying Science.
Of the three classes in our year group, ours was one of the naughtiest ever known!
One of my best memories dates from a fifth form Maths lesson, for which three of us (all girls) hid in the stock cupboard. Some of the boys split on us so, at the end of the lesson at 12.35pm, the rather weak teacher opened the door and said, “Good morning, ladies!”
I quipped, “It’s afternoon actually!”
The deputy Headteacher remonstrated with me, saying I would never become a teacher. She was wrong as I did!
It wasn’t all bad - my second husband attended the same school and he found me via Friends Reunited in 2004. More naughtiness followed - I’ll leave that to your imaginations! Ten years later I finally divorced my first husband and remarried. Mr. Ashcombe lives in France and I’m in Torquay but we enjoy time together and apart in our respective homes. A semi detached marriage works for us!

icanhandthemback Fri 22-Feb-19 13:56:42

I can remember the Nuns standing in front of us in Assembly looking very stern, offering not to name and shame if we stopped, being scathing about “Some wayward girls playing kiss chase!” Oh the mortification for us girls. No mention of the boys who were chasing us harlots!

Horatia Fri 22-Feb-19 14:18:30

The cookery teacher brought her woollens in to teach us how to wash them, first part of the morning including her husband's lambswools, then onto the business of making Christmas cakes, which I was excluded from as I was missing some spices, of which she had plenty in her store cupboard and she could have given me a spoon or two, but she preferred to make a point. I had to sit and watch everyone making their lovely cakes I had so looked forward to doing. My mother had written explaining that she didn't use spices but she had provided the butter, flour eggs etc. While this was going on the teacher was making a large vat of Tomato Chutney for her own use. She left it simmering gently while we all went for lunch, but my friend and I crept back in to the classroom grabbed all the drying Woollies and dipped them into chutney and slipped out again. It sounds mean but she was pretty mean herself with her own actions. I must say though I managed to be a very keen cook without any help from her, and my woollens are often hand washed gently using her Dip and Squeeze method.

trendygran Fri 22-Feb-19 14:21:53

Usually good at school but did join in with the other girls in my Scripture( as then called) group. We locked the very boring,spinster teacher in the storeroom off the classroom. When she finally emerged all she said was “” Girls,I can’t teach in this dim religious light””! Doen’t Seem so funny now, but it was when she said it. Very naive lady!

Amee Fri 22-Feb-19 14:23:19

I also was a good girl at school, and very shy (still am a little). I enjoyed school mostly, going to an all girls convent school.

We were taught typing and would have to copy what was written up on the board. The nun, who was one of my favourites, would walk up and down the rows between us, and if we were caught looking down at our keys, we were smacked across our hands with the ruler she carried - I became a very good touch typist!