Gransnet forums

Chat

Moved to tears

(54 Posts)
Diggingdoris Fri 22-Feb-19 11:29:24

I've just watched the tv coverage of the memorial flypast in Sheffield. I found it profoundly moving for several reasons. Tony Gould has been tending the memorial stone daily since it was laid and this was his dream come true and to meet members of the airmen' s families was the icing on the cake for him. The crowd that came to the park to honour both the airmen and Tony' s devotion was amazing. All this from a chance meeting with Dan Walker. Well done to all involved. Not a dry eye in our house!

EllanVannin Fri 22-Feb-19 11:46:27

I was the same here Diggingdoris. What a remarkable man Tony is to have tended that memorial every day as a thankyou to those young men who'd saved the lives of dozens that day.
3 cheers to the BBC for arranging such a display and lasting memory for Tony.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:44:38

Wonderful coverage for a wonderful man, I was moved to tears when he said his ashes are going on/in the memorial.

The lifetime of guilt he has felt towards those airmen and his attention to the memorial is astounding.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:48:53

What a lovely story, it's nice to hear some good news for a change.

nanaK54 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:52:04

It was all completely wonderful and, as you said very moving

ninathenana Fri 22-Feb-19 13:25:14

I've just watched it on BBC news.
It certainly was very moving.

petra Fri 22-Feb-19 13:28:26

Such a shame that Dan couldn't be there. After all, he was the one person who set the whole thing in motion.

Anannymous Fri 22-Feb-19 16:25:21

I was very moved too. I also shed a few tears when he was interviewed in the studio a few weeks ago. I bet someone will make a film about it.

Charleygirl5 Fri 22-Feb-19 16:32:53

I agree, petra I was so sorry that Dan was not here today. I have been following this story from day 1 and it is really very moving.

KatyK Fri 22-Feb-19 16:48:50

Dan was in such a state watching it on TV that he said he doubted he could have handled it live.

Mycatisahacker Fri 22-Feb-19 16:54:24

Heard this story yesterday and was moved to tears!

These young men were aged 21 to 26! Just so so young and so so brave fighting to beat racism.

Never forget.

Brunette10 Fri 22-Feb-19 16:59:26

I too saw this a couple of weeks ago when Dan first met Tony and pencilled it in my diary to watch today. It is such a lovely story and brings such joy over the normal news we have on our screens at the moment. Tony is a truly dedicated and caring man for everything he has done over all these years keeping this alive in his heart. Well done to Dan Walker and the BBC and all those involved in making this day truly memorable for Tony and of course the rest of us. A lovely, lovely story.

sodapop Fri 22-Feb-19 17:46:20

I've been following this lovely story as well. Brought a lump to my throat, quite restores my faith in human nature. So many good things in one story.

Greyduster Fri 22-Feb-19 18:23:18

We stood in one of our local parks this morning, with a couple of hundred other people, listening to the service on local radio and then, bang on time, right above our heads, the planes roared over. It was very emotional to see the F15 “missing man” formation, with one then peeling off to head heavenward while the others flew on. We both had tears streaming down our faces and we were not the only ones. I am so glad that this happened for Mi Amigo and for Tony.

Harris27 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:13:24

Son told me about this today just watched it and cried.

Gonegirl Fri 22-Feb-19 22:34:44

So sad that this man carried this unnecessary guilt with him all his life. In this day and age a child that experienced something like this would, hopefully, be given help.

Swanny Fri 22-Feb-19 23:18:43

Happened across this event at 8.15 this morning via Twitter so watched the live coverage at 8.45 am. So moving, so emotional, so encouraging that all ages and all nationalities could commemorate such an act of selflessness together. Tony should be acknowledged for his service to those who died that day in saving the lives of those children, who lived to say 'We must never forget' those who gave us our freedom. RIP Mi Amigo x

ginnycomelately Sat 23-Feb-19 09:16:31

In so agree with all the above , Tony is the unsung hero ,why do we give all the awards to the lovvies and not to the real heroes in our country !!!

Kim19 Sat 23-Feb-19 09:29:59

I was fortunate enough to be tuned in when Dan first introduced this item. Have followed it with gusto ever since. Such a wonderful acccolade to a dedicated and grateful man. I was further thrilled that the weather was kind enough for the fly past to be seen in full glory and afford the many who turned out a degree of physical comfort. Little disappointed aver Dan's non-appearance as I think it was his simple interest and vigilance that set the whole occasion in motion. He was the missing piece imo. The older local hero coped beautifully with the emotional turmoil and took time out to compose himself when required. I must also give thanks to BBC for taking this simple and humble story on board when they usually devote themselves to current dramas mostly of a political nature. Very refreshing indeed.

mischief Sat 23-Feb-19 09:32:21

Every time I have watched this story, I've been in bits. It's such an emotional story. From Tony's misunderstanding of the waving from the cockpit and the sacrifice of the crew to save the children to Tony's life-long guilt, it is incredible. I wish Tony could live the rest of his life without the guilt but I guess it is such a big part of him now, it would be like losing a part of himself. Well done Tony. ??

Jang Sat 23-Feb-19 09:33:30

So agree with ginnycomelately ( and rest of you) about awards too many lovvies and not enough to real heroes

Shed a few tears myself while watching on TV... had not seen anything about it before, what a lovely thing to do the BBC getting it right for once!

luluaugust Sat 23-Feb-19 09:45:03

Just agree with you all, I am sure he wouldn't want an award but he really deserves one. Very moving indeed.

Crazygran Sat 23-Feb-19 10:02:19

Hope Tony receives something in the Queens birthday honours.He truly deserves it !

4allweknow Sat 23-Feb-19 10:05:31

Such a fitting tribute. Can't help but think that Tony Gould has been suffering from PSDO since he was 8. The distress in Tony and guilt in him was so evident. Do hope this memorial will give him some peace. On a lighter note perhaps, wasn't it wonderful to hear of children as young as 6 playing in the local park, without adult supervision. Of course there were no 'nasty' people a out then.

GabriellaG54 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:14:08

I've no idea what he story's about, save a fly past and an elderly gentleman. What the two have in common I don't know, as, from the comments here, it seems he looked after a memorial. The rest of the story is blank to me.