Gransnet forums

Chat

Advice needed on buying new car ? or ?

(37 Posts)
Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:45:42

Hi! I have had my trusty old scenic for 14 years and don't really want to part with it but suspect, sadly, its days are numbered! I'm not really a 'car' person but am feeling quite interested in the various SUVs . Do need space for baby seats and pushchair sometimes and DH loves DIY , so need good boot also. Any advice/others experience would be greatly appreciated.

Jacksgrandma123 Mon 25-Feb-19 18:43:40

Thanks, ladies! shall have a look at the cars you've mentioned.

B9exchange Mon 25-Feb-19 16:42:07

I looked at the Scenic and bought the very similar Citroen C4 Picasso, because the seats are so comfy, a brilliant ride.

Have you also thought about the Dacia Duster?

J52 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:27:51

Jacks The Evoque has the capacity to seat 5. Friends have just swapped from the Evoque to an F Pace and find the MPG not very good. He likes the car, she preferred the Evoque! ?

Parklife1 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:09:43

My Skoda Karoq has a high spec, a spacious boot and the rear seats can be completely removed if you want for even more space. Fixings for car seats in the rear.

The seating is very adjustable, heated seats and steering wheel, connectivity, panoramic sunroof, cameras, all kinds of little touches.

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 21:57:08

Thanks, SueDonim!. My friends' Sportage is lovely . The E/F pace does make my heart beat a little faster, which is unusual as not really a car person! If only it was a convertible too!! Don't remember this level of choice last time bought a car, or maybe I was just too busy to look properly with three children!
Hadn't thought about snow tyres. Must admit my old scenic coped valiantly in terrible conditions last winter where we saw many other cars in accidents or stuck, but we did feel a little vulnerable at times. Look after grandson a little on a regular basis , longish journey and need to be reliable .

SueDonim Sat 23-Feb-19 21:32:07

My dd has a Kia Sportage which swallows up all the baby gear she currently carts around.

You mention the E/F Pace, though. I'd find that hard to resist if I could afford it.

Winter tyres are a better bet for snow and ice than 4WD.

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 20:02:47

Thanks, Kittylester. I'm just mainly looking online. Because I keep my car till it drops to bits , it has to be right! I shall look at Kadjar. Also, have just discovered you can get SUV convertibles , even more choice!

kittylester Sat 23-Feb-19 18:17:10

A friend has an Evoque and the boot is smaller than my Mazda. There is a bigger Renault than the Captur -it might be called a Kadjar!

Can you tell we have recently looked at lots and lots and lots of new cars.

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:05:01

Thanks, J52. Did have a quick peek at the Evoque recently as friend got one. Looked beautiful inside. Please could you tell me if it is true that it only seats four and do you know if the boot is a good size?

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:00:12

Thanks, Barleysugar! I shall have a look!

J52 Sat 23-Feb-19 16:16:24

Land Rover Evoque, lovely car. Would suggest a Freelander, our past workhorse, but they’re no longer in production.

Barleysugar Sat 23-Feb-19 15:47:40

The Capture is very slightly smaller than the Scenic Jacksgrandma. The only thing against it for me anyway, is that it has a ‘ proper handbrake ‘ unlike the automatic Scenic one.

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 14:09:19

So much choice , very exciting but also feels a tad overwhelming! Think a pros and cons list us needed!

kittylester Sat 23-Feb-19 13:50:14

My Mazda has the features you mention and, as I said, I love them ....... now! It has a camera and warning keepers.

Dh's car has none apart from the camera and I can't cope with that at all........... now!

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:19:10

A small car won't do what we need it for currently though it would be more economical.
Haha! We only buy a new motor once in a blue moon so haven't had much practice at bargaining , though I understand now is a good time to do so!
Need a 4WD as scary journey to grandchild in winter , though must admit am very tempted to get a little secondhand soft top mini or something similar as a little runaround to use locally!

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:12:22

Thanks! My car has no handbrake and automatic lights and windscreen wipers, found no hand brake very disconcerting at first. And I'm a menace when driving one of the kids cars which doesn't have these features!

Jane10 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:04:26

Quashkai fan here too. DH has one and it's a great workhorse.
I've got a VW Golf myself and find it very annoying!
However, be prepared to bargain hard whatever you decide on. You can always get a better price and/or more added extras if you do. One good thing about being older is greater confidence. At best you'll pay less and get more, at worst you could be embarrassed. Go on. Have a go at playing hardball with car salesmen.

goldengirl Sat 23-Feb-19 12:40:55

I recently bought a C1 - very small but ideal for me as I don't like driving and am only willing to take older children in it - not babies as I can't lift in and out or bend easily. It's great for pootling locally. I knew it was for me the moment I sat in it.

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Feb-19 12:37:59

I’m not really up on cars and we have 2 fairly old ones. One is automatic.
I’m a bit confused by this thread, I thought a Fiat 500 was tiny and what is a semi automatic ??

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 12:24:25

Cheers, ladies!
A friend has a sportage, is a good ride.
I do like my scenic, this is my third one! Is a Capture as big as Scenic?
Not many cars are being built here currently but am tempted by E/F Pace which is at the moment. Not sure which one would be best suited to?

Urmstongran Sat 23-Feb-19 12:02:24

Perhaps Google whatever car is mostly manufactured here in the U.K. to support our industry?

Barleysugar Sat 23-Feb-19 11:31:06

I love my 7 year old top of the range Scenic. I would only exchange it for a another Renault - the Capture, in burnt orange !

4allweknow Sat 23-Feb-19 11:13:42

Have a look at the Kia Sportage. Great warranty and customer care.

Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 16:26:44

Thanks Kittylester for car wow advice.
Thank you iam64, shall have a look, I do like a high driving position and will choose petrol with current controversy Re diesel, though I understand they are meant to be less polluting now ough the law hasn't changed on phasing them out.
Thanks Tanith, I shall have a look at yours too , and reversing camera may be good for me as I've always struggled with this with my grand scenic!

tanith Fri 22-Feb-19 16:12:21

Have a look at Nissans Qashqai I’ve had mine four years and love it, high driving position a must with my hips ? huge boot and back seats that fold flat. GCs car seats fit fine with Isofix, mines a diesel but I’d go for petrol now. I’ve never had a bit of trouble with it and the reversing camera is so handy.