Gransnet forums

Chat

Advice needed on buying new car ? or ?

(36 Posts)
Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:45:42

Hi! I have had my trusty old scenic for 14 years and don't really want to part with it but suspect, sadly, its days are numbered! I'm not really a 'car' person but am feeling quite interested in the various SUVs . Do need space for baby seats and pushchair sometimes and DH loves DIY , so need good boot also. Any advice/others experience would be greatly appreciated.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:02:05

Have a look at the Lexus N hybrid loads of room and good deals at the moment.

Audi Q5 or Q3 are good, if you want really roomy look at a Q7 which is what I have.

kittylester Fri 22-Feb-19 15:06:48

I've just had a new Mazda CX5 (possibly) and absolutely love it.

We looked at hybrids but I don't really like driving automatics. I expect the next one will be hybrid though.

Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:14:49

Thank you GrannyGravy13, I shall have a look at the Lexus. Audi is out unfortunately as in laws have one!

Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:18:54

Thanks, Kittylester. I shall have a look at the Mazda. I'm the same in I'm not too keen on automatics. My current car is semi automatic and really didn't like it to start with. In friends more up to date cars they all appear much more complex but I suppose you get used to all the twiddly bits!

Luckygirl Fri 22-Feb-19 15:18:58

Last time I bought a new car, I looked it up on the internet and got a good estimate. I then went to local dealership with the evidence of this and told them I would get it from them if they could match the internet price. They did! £1000 saved!

ninathenana Fri 22-Feb-19 15:19:01

Not as "posh" as those but I love my very reliable Vauxhall Meriva it has all the attributes you mention.

Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:49:10

Thank you Luckygirl, I shall certainly do that!

Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:51:21

Thanks, ninathenana, I shall have a look at your car also!

kittylester Fri 22-Feb-19 15:53:07

I love my twiddlybits - now.

Look at Carwow. We got a great deal by citing them and there are reviews on the site.

Iam64 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:54:20

My Fiat 500 is great, big boot for Dogs and/or luggage, roomy back seat for those huge car seats grandchildren have. It’s also high from the ground so excellent for backs, roomy, relatively inexpensive And very reliable.
I bough diesel just before it became the worst thing you can do for the environment. I’d have gone petrol but they only did a 1200 not 1400 engine. I pat an easy drive and economical

tanith Fri 22-Feb-19 16:12:21

Have a look at Nissans Qashqai I’ve had mine four years and love it, high driving position a must with my hips ? huge boot and back seats that fold flat. GCs car seats fit fine with Isofix, mines a diesel but I’d go for petrol now. I’ve never had a bit of trouble with it and the reversing camera is so handy.

Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 16:26:44

Thanks Kittylester for car wow advice.
Thank you iam64, shall have a look, I do like a high driving position and will choose petrol with current controversy Re diesel, though I understand they are meant to be less polluting now ough the law hasn't changed on phasing them out.
Thanks Tanith, I shall have a look at yours too , and reversing camera may be good for me as I've always struggled with this with my grand scenic!

4allweknow Sat 23-Feb-19 11:13:42

Have a look at the Kia Sportage. Great warranty and customer care.

Barleysugar Sat 23-Feb-19 11:31:06

I love my 7 year old top of the range Scenic. I would only exchange it for a another Renault - the Capture, in burnt orange !

Urmstongran Sat 23-Feb-19 12:02:24

Perhaps Google whatever car is mostly manufactured here in the U.K. to support our industry?

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 12:24:25

Cheers, ladies!
A friend has a sportage, is a good ride.
I do like my scenic, this is my third one! Is a Capture as big as Scenic?
Not many cars are being built here currently but am tempted by E/F Pace which is at the moment. Not sure which one would be best suited to?

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Feb-19 12:37:59

I’m not really up on cars and we have 2 fairly old ones. One is automatic.
I’m a bit confused by this thread, I thought a Fiat 500 was tiny and what is a semi automatic ??

goldengirl Sat 23-Feb-19 12:40:55

I recently bought a C1 - very small but ideal for me as I don't like driving and am only willing to take older children in it - not babies as I can't lift in and out or bend easily. It's great for pootling locally. I knew it was for me the moment I sat in it.

Jane10 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:04:26

Quashkai fan here too. DH has one and it's a great workhorse.
I've got a VW Golf myself and find it very annoying!
However, be prepared to bargain hard whatever you decide on. You can always get a better price and/or more added extras if you do. One good thing about being older is greater confidence. At best you'll pay less and get more, at worst you could be embarrassed. Go on. Have a go at playing hardball with car salesmen.

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:12:22

Thanks! My car has no handbrake and automatic lights and windscreen wipers, found no hand brake very disconcerting at first. And I'm a menace when driving one of the kids cars which doesn't have these features!

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:19:10

A small car won't do what we need it for currently though it would be more economical.
Haha! We only buy a new motor once in a blue moon so haven't had much practice at bargaining , though I understand now is a good time to do so!
Need a 4WD as scary journey to grandchild in winter , though must admit am very tempted to get a little secondhand soft top mini or something similar as a little runaround to use locally!

kittylester Sat 23-Feb-19 13:50:14

My Mazda has the features you mention and, as I said, I love them ....... now! It has a camera and warning keepers.

Dh's car has none apart from the camera and I can't cope with that at all........... now!

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 14:09:19

So much choice , very exciting but also feels a tad overwhelming! Think a pros and cons list us needed!

Barleysugar Sat 23-Feb-19 15:47:40

The Capture is very slightly smaller than the Scenic Jacksgrandma. The only thing against it for me anyway, is that it has a ‘ proper handbrake ‘ unlike the automatic Scenic one.