Gransnet forums

Chat

Songs that make you!

(40 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Wed 27-Feb-19 20:47:14

So this was a thread I started on mumsnet a while ago and thought I would start it here as we are all far more mature and learned! grin

What songs make you cry? And why? What takes you back?

Mine are Abbas’ slipping thru my fingers’ as we thought dd might die after a fatal crash! She thank god didn’t.

The welsh national anthem! My mum is welsh and has altzimers but still recognised this and sings along but doesn’t know us!

The proclaimers ‘lets get married’ played at our wedding 30 years ago.

And lighthearted ‘summer loving’ from grease as It was my first grown up film aged 16 and I kissed my first boyfriend grin

Frankie goes to Hollywood ‘power of love’ as that’s by death defying love for my children.

What’s yours?

SalsaQueen Sat 21-Mar-20 18:55:36

"Thank you for the days" by Kirsty McColl....it was played at my mum's funeral.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen..... my brother bought it and that same day he was run over and killed by a drunk driver, whilst I was with him.

"Unchained Melody"...... so haunting.

JackyB Sat 21-Mar-20 11:04:49

"Leningrad" by Billy Joel is guaranteed to make me cry every time.

Some of the others mentioned here make me cringe. Sorry.

annep1 Sat 21-Mar-20 10:35:03

That was to Mycatisahacker

annep1 Sat 21-Mar-20 10:34:14

I was just looking through old posts and discovered the one about music evoking memories. I hadn't read your original post properly and I did so now.
I am so glad your daughter recovered. My son was in a coma aged 16 not expected to live. We are both so very fortunate to still have our darling children.

gillybob Thu 28-Feb-19 10:16:47

For anyone who likes Willie Nelson.....

"A Horse Called Music" is very sad (but lovely)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Hc8cEplSQ

There is an annoying ad first but the video is lovely smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:04:28

A Horse with no Name by America and
Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, both of which we played at my husband's funeral. The former was his favourite song of all time.
Someone Like You by Adele and
Everybody Hurts by REM.
I sometimes watch these on YouTube if I'm in the mood for what I call a 'miseryfest', a tearful emotional release.

KatyK Thu 28-Feb-19 09:53:08

At my sister in law's funeral, my brother chose Catch the Wind by Donovan. Very sad and poignant.

Nanah67 Wed 27-Feb-19 23:22:24

My sister passed away last year and my nephew was looking after the music. I asked him not to forget Buddy Holly as she was a huge fan. He chose I guess it doesn’t matter anymore.. we all sang along big with tears runners down our faces..a very sad moment but so meaningful.

B9exchange Wed 27-Feb-19 23:11:48

I think if we hear something at a very emotional time in our lives, it brings it all back.

Somewhere over the rainbow, played at a dear friend's funeral accompanied by pictures of his life.

Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. At a conference in Cape Town, the Mayor had organised for a local choir made up of young children from the townships (slums) to stand on stage and sing this to us, we were all in floods of tears.

Make me a Channel of Your Peace - sung at the funerals of both my parents

Oh Holy Night - magic of Christmas, not sure why this one in particular

Ave Verum Corpus - heard this being played whilst walking round Mozart's house in Saltzburg on a magical holiday, it was just beautiful.

MissAdventure Wed 27-Feb-19 23:03:57

It's strange, but it seems the sad songs evoke the most emotions.
I'm so drawn to these threads, but they always end up making me cry..
I'm not sure if I love it or hate it!

Daisymay1 Wed 27-Feb-19 23:01:19

I meant Hey Jude

Daisymay1 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:59:09

One of my favourite too Katey

gillybob Wed 27-Feb-19 22:58:55

I still can’t listen to “Time in a bottle”
By Jim Croce which was the song I chose for my 2nd husbands funeral . It makes me feel so upset despite the fact that he was not the love of my life , he deserved to live so much longer than he did . sad

KatyK Wed 27-Feb-19 22:57:06

I agree Slipping through my fingers is lovely. The Living Years by Mike & The Mechanics always brings a lump to my throat.

Nanah67 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:52:16

At 17...so true at the time Janice Ian
The living years..Mike and the Mechanics ..so many reasons
The long and winding road ..The Beatles..speaks for itself
You light up my life...first dance at our wedding 40 years ago
They all bring me to tears.

petra Wed 27-Feb-19 22:46:25

Niel Sedaka
"I miss the hungry years"

Mycatisahacker Wed 27-Feb-19 22:45:30

So many songs to listen to above thank goodness for u tube smile

Mycatisahacker Wed 27-Feb-19 22:44:06

Eve Cassidy so poignant on every level.

annep1 isn’t it! a song about every daughter. I can only just bare to listen to it now 7 years after dds accident

Grandad1943 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:41:52

The ballad "A Love So Beautiful" by Roy Orbison I find very moving and wonderfull.

I did see Roy Orbison in concert back in 1963 when he came to Britain, and he was absolutely terrific live on stage. The above ballad he had not written then, but whenever I hear it now I think of that concert.

A great song with great memories for me.

Parsley3 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:41:24

Ellie Goulding singing How Long Will I Love You?

I dedicate this to my family when I hear it. ?

KatyK Wed 27-Feb-19 22:32:51

Hey Jude for me for many reasons.

Marydoll Wed 27-Feb-19 22:24:27

www.dailymotion.com/video/xdzn4z

I sing this ( badly) to my wee granddaughter.

annep1 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:22:47

Slipping through my fingers is lovely.

annep1 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:21:37

Also "I know you by heart" Eva Cassidy.....reminds me of my mum.

annep1 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:19:37

Anniebach flowers