Gransnet forums

Chat

Loaves and Fishes

(3 Posts)
Rufus2 Sun 03-Mar-19 11:35:16

In one of our supermarkets (again!) the other day buying my basic items such as bread, milk, eggs etc. when another gentleman joined the queue and I could see two women ahead of us with overflowing trollies so I thought; here we go again waiting forever, but it turned out to be quite fortunate, because he was more than keen to chat about his hobby keeping fish; the indoor exotic aquarium type as well as the pond in the back garden. We had loads of time to go into in-depth details. I'm an excellent listener, just knowing when to ask a question or make a comment to encourage more chat. I learnt more about fish hobbies from him than I ever would, listening to a teacher droning on and on! grin
And the best part was that as the queue cleared the check-out he said "thanks, it was nice talking to you!" It gladdens my heart! smile

Jane10 Sun 03-Mar-19 11:37:50

Sounds good. I've had some great conversations with complete strangers in random places like queues or the bus stop. They can make the wait well worth while.

Squiffy Sun 03-Mar-19 11:42:17

Oh yes, Queue Chats are great! Even when they're not, you know that for a few minutes you've possibly brightened their day by listening to someone who needed a bit of human interaction - perhaps all that they'll have that day smile