Gransnet forums

Chat

we'll call her Bobs big sister from now on( light hearted)

(57 Posts)
paddyann Mon 11-Mar-19 14:38:39

My lovely 9 year old GD was told she's going to be a big sister at the weekend .She has wanted a sibling for a long time so she was delighted .One or two problems though ,she wants a wee ginger chinese brother ....Where will we find one of those? The other problem she has ..well not exactly a problem what she said is " granny what about a name ,what if they calL it something like BOB ...how embarassing would it be to tell my friends my wee brother is called BOB ."Shes a laugh a minute but sometimes I wonder how her mind works .I called her dad and told him her thoughts and we've decided that for now we'll call her Bobs Big Sister ...she'll be raging .I smile every time I think about it.It should be a interesting 6 months .lol

Nelliemoser Wed 13-Mar-19 07:54:34

My 3yr old grandson has a small soft toy horse he loves, and he calls it "Ratty".

Toots Wed 13-Mar-19 07:25:14

How funny!... don't you just love them... sounds like she'll be a lovely big sister to "Bob"..as long as he/she is Chinese and ginger!..?
Our 9 yr old grandaughter makes us giggle every day.. sad to say she has no siblings, not through anyone's choice.. we discussed with her one day that perhaps she'd have cousins in the not-to-distant future (she already has second cousins but no first) she said "Yes Nanna....but then I'd have to share you wouldn't I?".... ?..bless her.. love her to bits. ?

Millie8 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:07:43

My 4 year old son wanted to call is new baby brother Jupiter - heavans knows why!

GreenGran78 Tue 12-Mar-19 18:04:53

I am watching Ian McKellen's 'Who do you think you are?' while browsing Gransnet. His Great-great-grandfather, Robert Lowes, was responsible for workers being given the first ever afternoon off from their arduous labours, in Manchester. An excellent Robert to have in the family!

Newatthis Tue 12-Mar-19 17:48:33

Someone we know, when meeting her new husband called 'Bob' , decided his name was too 'common' (she is a bit of a social climber) so decided he would be called George as this was more fitting!

Peardrop50 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:20:06

Lovely, funny, wee granddaughter you have Paddyann. She'll make a wonderful Bobs big sister, he'll be a lucky lad.

paddyann Tue 12-Mar-19 16:24:59

Annaram1 nope no chinese blood at all,she saw a chinese baby on an advert and she's been keen to have one the same ever since ,I think Ed Sheerin might be the ginger connection .

trendygran Tue 12-Mar-19 16:05:18

Thank goodness for granddaughters who make us laugh. My two younger . ones are both funny in different ways .One is 11 and one just 5 . The older one 13, is quieter ,but lovely and laughs at her sister’s funny sayings.
I know two people called Bob -both short for Robert- and know of a cat ,no longer with us, who was called Bob.
Whatever the baby’s name it sounds as if he/she will have a lovely big sister.

inishowen Tue 12-Mar-19 15:01:34

My daughter was three when her baby brother was born. She told anyone who asked that his name was Scarecrow! I don't know where that came from.

breeze Tue 12-Mar-19 13:47:40

Congratulations paddyann

I always think of Rowan Atkinson in Black Adder. When he said 'Bob' with emphasis on the last B grin Made me laugh every time!

You must be thrilled. Wishing for him a safe arrival and just as much personality as his older sister has sunshine

Nannan2 Tue 12-Mar-19 13:30:49

And of course Bob the builder is very popular...grin

Nannan2 Tue 12-Mar-19 13:22:34

Bradfordlass72-have u missed out on the yorkshire sense of humour gene?(from a yorkshire lass)grin

Hellsgrandad Tue 12-Mar-19 13:14:56

I'm a Bob. When I was a small child I was Bobby. As a boy and in my teens I was Bob but as I got older - thirties, forties etc I became Robert. Now I'm back to being called Bob or occasionally Robbie. So many derivations!

Nvella Tue 12-Mar-19 13:10:20

We let our oldest son choose his brother’s second name so he is now Thomas Robert (named after Robert the Robot who I think was on TV in the 80’s)!

grandMattie Tue 12-Mar-19 12:48:52

I had to smile. My DCs called my DM “Bob”! Her name was Pauline, but one chil couldn’t say it and called her “Bobbine”, which DS2 made “more intimate “ by shortening it to Bob! ?. Very glad about pregnancy - though ginger, Chinese might be a bit of a problem?

1inamillion Tue 12-Mar-19 12:17:47

Paddyann, your GD sounds a real caution.
You'll have to tell her about " Bob a Job Week " good luck with that one. ?

juani56 Tue 12-Mar-19 12:16:29

My 5 years old DGD wanted to all her new puppy 'Super Turkey Sprout' - its being called 'Sprout' for short.

geera Tue 12-Mar-19 12:03:02

Love all these. Many moons ago my husband's sister was expecting. She was married to a Mr Marsh, so it didn't go down well when DH suggested they call their son Romney!

Craftycat Tue 12-Mar-19 11:19:04

My Dad was Robert- often Bob to his friends -& was the loveliest man imaginable. The sort who would do anything to help anyone. My younger son has Robert as his middle name.
Get her to make a list of her favourite names & hopefully one will be acceptable & she will be thrilled.

Ginny42 Tue 12-Mar-19 11:01:27

Paddyann, your granddaughter is clearly a very creative thinker and will go far in life! She will be a doting Bob's Big Sister.

Congratulations!

Gaggi3 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:56:21

We called DD's bump Vortigern, as she had been exploring unusual names. Fortunately, they called DGS something else. Apologies to any Vortigerns out there.

Knittynatter Tue 12-Mar-19 10:54:09

My DD told my DGD that her baby bro was born with a name tag on his toe!

Theoddbird Tue 12-Mar-19 10:53:54

This made me smile. I await further comments she makes grin

Cobweb01 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:47:23

grin grin

nipsmum Tue 12-Mar-19 10:43:29

My oldest granddaughter decided the new baby should be called Frisky. When asked why that name she was very adamant, because we don't have a Frisky. The baby was not called that but maybe should have been. She has been very frisky all her 9 years and managed to break her arm last week while doing Gymnastics.