Gransnet forums

Chat

we'll call her Bobs big sister from now on( light hearted)

(56 Posts)
paddyann Mon 11-Mar-19 14:38:39

My lovely 9 year old GD was told she's going to be a big sister at the weekend .She has wanted a sibling for a long time so she was delighted .One or two problems though ,she wants a wee ginger chinese brother ....Where will we find one of those? The other problem she has ..well not exactly a problem what she said is " granny what about a name ,what if they calL it something like BOB ...how embarassing would it be to tell my friends my wee brother is called BOB ."Shes a laugh a minute but sometimes I wonder how her mind works .I called her dad and told him her thoughts and we've decided that for now we'll call her Bobs Big Sister ...she'll be raging .I smile every time I think about it.It should be a interesting 6 months .lol

Beechnut Mon 11-Mar-19 14:42:55

??

gillybob Mon 11-Mar-19 15:50:26

That’s lush paddyann I can picture baby “Bob”! How cute he/she will look .

Your DGD’s dad sounds like a right “ wind up merchant” and it’s exactly the sort of thing my son would have said. I can just imagine her reaction every time he says it !grin

Congratulations by the way . You must all be thrilled ! x

nanaK54 Mon 11-Mar-19 15:51:34

grin

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Mar-19 16:05:19

Congratulations paddyann, GC always find a way to make us smile, your GD must be so excited ?

Granny23 Mon 11-Mar-19 16:05:52

I've never encountered a horrible Bob (or Boab as they say locally). I reckon it is because they are, presumably all called Robert, but chose the modest friendly diminutive because it suits their character. Bert conjures up a big rough bloke with big hands, Rab is a rebel and rogue , Robbie or Bertie is a Mummys boy and Bobby never grew up. Robert is pretentious and only suited to those with political or Acting ambitions.

Give me a good honest Bob any day - denotes someone who is comfortable in their own skin, a good loyal friend to many, an all round good bloke. Let's here it for "Bobs" grin

Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-19 16:12:33

My cousin’s fella is a Bob. Great bloke!

Gonegirl Mon 11-Mar-19 16:17:31

Have you read any of these books? Street Cat Bob

They will make you love Bobs everywhere. grin

paddyann Mon 11-Mar-19 16:35:47

this isthe child who has a name thats very unusual ,so much that she says she'll change it when she's older so everyone wont know its her the minute the name is said .I have no idea what she'll come out with next but its always funny .

Grammaretto Mon 11-Mar-19 16:37:15

Congratulations. They could do a lot worse than Bob!
When I was expecting our last child I foolishly asked the other 3 for name ideas. We even put the suggestions into the computer to find the most popular. The problem was the one which came out top wasn't anyone's favourite it was just a bland name which nobody objected to.
When baby arrived we waited a week and then called her what we wanted. Sorry siblings.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-19 16:38:50

She’s not envious is she, in case baby brother gets a non-stand out name, unlike herself?

paddyann Mon 11-Mar-19 16:40:22

no ,urmstongran she's delighted but she'll want a say in the name I can bet on that .A very determined wee girl .

Day6 Mon 11-Mar-19 16:44:14

Lovely news paddyann - and don't our GC make us smile? They can be proper little comedians with absolutely no effort at all, bless them.

I like the name Bob. I had an uncle Bob and he was a kind, modest chap. I wish your family a happy pregnancy but I do hope little Bob, growing away as we type, is not Chinese or ginger. I have never met a Chinese person with ginger hair. That combination would be sure to throw family members! grin

Congratulations to all.

mcem Mon 11-Mar-19 16:46:43

Dd referred to Bob the bump while pregnant and once he arrived there just wasn't a name she preferred.
He's happy to answer to Rob or Robbie and proud to have the same name as The Bruce and Burns!
DS and DiL are currently very tight-lipped about names but we'll know in a few weeks!

paddyann Mon 11-Mar-19 16:49:06

Day6 questions will be asked if Baby is either chinese or ginger I'm sure. If both it'll be a miracle .She's a real comedian and I'm sure the next few months will be very entertaining .

Bathsheba Mon 11-Mar-19 17:28:15

Congratulations paddyann, what lovely news. Your GD sounds like a real little character - "a wee ginger Chinese brother" grin. Small chance of getting what she's wishing for, but I'm sure she'll love him/her whatever race/hair colour wink

eilyann Mon 11-Mar-19 17:40:25

When DD2 and husband were in process of adoption the 'other' gran asked ' PLEASE can we have a brown one too?'
-- we have two mixed race g'children from DD3!

annodomini Mon 11-Mar-19 18:35:22

When I was a student I had a piggy bank called Bob because I kept shillings (bobs, for those who know only metric coinage) in him for the meter. He was a very friendly pig. grin

annsixty Mon 11-Mar-19 18:57:41

My youngest GS (8) is named Bobby.
Given name Robert but he dislikes that.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-19 19:17:01

Oh that’s good to hear then paddyann she sounds a lovely little girl.
Congratulations to you all.
❤️

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:25:32

I know a young Bobby of about 12 and an even younger Bobby who is about 3.
He is absolutely gorgeous (and no, he's not ours!).

BradfordLass72 Mon 11-Mar-19 21:22:11

"we've decided that for now we'll call her Bobs Big Sister ...she'll be raging .I smile every time I think about it."

Why?

paddyann Mon 11-Mar-19 21:48:08

Her Daddy likes to wind her up and she loves it ,the banter is hilarious .she'll have plenty to say about it No disrespect meant to Bobs the world over I have no idea why she picked that name out of thin air we dont even know any Bobs .

muffinthemoo Mon 11-Mar-19 22:19:38

paddy in our part of the world you know there is always an outside chance of a random ginger wean...

Genetic hiccup!

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Mar-19 22:53:23

Whatever name they choose, this baby will be forever known as Bob on Gransnet.
We look forward to his safe arrival smile