Gransnet forums

Chat

A dreadful event in Christchurch

(207 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-19 04:01:23

I m listening to an awful incident unfolding in NZ a mass shooting on mosques in Christchurch. Multiple deaths including children the perpetrators have put live video footage of people being shot and killed on the web
It is reported to be a white Supremacy massacre, only one shooter has been captured

What a sad sad day for the world

absent Tue 19-Mar-19 23:23:16

There is a misleading piece of information on this thread which I feel should be corrected. Mike Bush, Christchurch Police Commissioner, has just said that police arrived at the scene of the massacre last Friday in 5 minutes 39 seconds.

moggie57 Tue 19-Mar-19 00:24:24

It is so sad that a human being thinks it's ok to kill Muslims because of religion.I would love world peace and no hatred towards other people of other cultures

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Mar-19 23:02:26

Gun laws here are strict and you cannot just walk into a shop and buy one.
BradfordLass - I did think that the gun laws in New Zealand were tighter than those in Australia but it was reported on our news this evening that they are not. The laws were tightened up in Australia considerably after what happened at Port Arthur.
I think your gun laws will be subject to rapid reform according to the BBC news here.

Mycatisahacker Mon 18-Mar-19 21:15:43

I do believe in souls gonegirl but I too cannot believe anyone apart from a pure evil soul shoots little children or teenagers.

I can’t concive any person shooting a toddler! I just can’t. Pure pure pure evil

Gonegirl Mon 18-Mar-19 21:11:55

Actually can't remember who or what I was talking to. Not going to argue on this thread. It's not about me.

Gonegirl Mon 18-Mar-19 21:09:33

Was answering BradfordLass

Anniebach Mon 18-Mar-19 21:03:46

Gonegirl I was not instructing you , I just posted my thoughts on the reason for the killings which I am free to do as you are free to post your thoughts.

Gonegirl Mon 18-Mar-19 20:33:13

And I don't believe in "souls".

Gonegirl Mon 18-Mar-19 20:32:18

I will hate what I wish to, who I wish to, when I wish to. And I don't need instruction from anybody on this site.

Thank you, however, for your concern.

BradfordLass72 Mon 18-Mar-19 19:03:31

Anja Yes, I agree, as long as it is within the law.

May I correct the comment that: "Christchurch is the gun capital of New Zealand"? This is tabloid press rubbish.

New Zealand, particularly the South Island, is very rural has a long history of hunting and fishing and therefore gun ownership. It is not always for pleasure. Many are for government contract vermin killing of deer, goat, possum and wild pigs.

The shooting in Raurimu in 1997 was with a shotgun, something most farmers own.

Gun laws here are strict and you cannot just walk into a shop and buy one.

Tighter legislation was suggested when the last, right wing government was in power - but was rejected. It will be revived.

Gonegirl I understand your feelings and you are not alone but as Anniebach pointed out, that way lies the destruction of our own souls. Hate the crime, as we all do.

Although Ellanvannin was unjustly (IMO) criticised for saying he is a madman - what sane, normal person can take their hatred to such levels that they will mow down innocents?

Gonegirl Mon 18-Mar-19 18:42:01

Oh slap my bloody wrist.

Anniebach Mon 18-Mar-19 18:29:37

It was hate that killed them

Gonegirl Mon 18-Mar-19 18:18:48

Who could shoot a little three year old? And a four year old? And a fourteen year old? sad [sad sad

I want to hate somebody but I don't know who.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 11:18:53

Many in Liverpool have opened their doors to take Syrians in.

grannyactivist Mon 18-Mar-19 10:54:59

JessM what a lovely helpful post. Our local Syrians (other refugees are available wink) are indeed very keen to improve their English and make links with the community. Fortunately their experience of integration has been a very positive one with locals going out of their way to befriend them.
My Afghan boys are now men shock and are about to buy their own business. They are very well liked so I am confident the town will get behind them and they will make a success of it. They have studied hard, worked long hours (often at two jobs), paid their taxes and this is now their home. I am so proud of them - and not just because I can get free food for life when their restaurant is up and running. grin

Grammaretto Mon 18-Mar-19 10:22:50

Sadly I heard from NZ family that the gunshop who sold the weapons was the very same which provided the guns used in their last massacre in 1997 at Raurimu when 6 died.
Far from being a little peaceful backwater, ChCh is known as the gun capital.
Hopefully this will change soon.
People are talking to eachother across the country and are especially proud of the brave policemen who caught the criminal.
Why does anyone need an automatic assault rifle?

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Mar-19 19:24:38

They may speak very little English and will be very keen to improve, whatever level it is.
DD is volunteering some time to teach refugee families English.

JessM Sun 17-Mar-19 18:33:23

If you are feeling helpless and wish you could help, here is a suggestion: Not so far from where you live there will be a young Syrian family who are far from their own families and countries. They may speak very little English and will be very keen to improve, whatever level it is. These families need friends who will help them improve their English and help them with their loneliness. "grans for Syrians" needed! Our sponsored Syrian refugees are dispersed evenly across the UK. Your local refugee relief charity can give you more information. I can't even begin to tell you what lovely people they are.

KatyK Sun 17-Mar-19 11:45:52

I'd never seen her before this tragedy. That's very refreshing to hear.

EllanVannin Sun 17-Mar-19 11:44:20

Oh yes, KatyK. I remember when she had her baby last year and was reading about her then. The only woman Prime Minister to give birth while still in office. Her baby is called Neve, not the usual spelling of Niamh which is the Irish pronunciation.
They are a lovely family unit.

KatyK Sun 17-Mar-19 11:33:00

Did she "Ellan* ? She seems genuinely caring.

EllanVannin Sun 17-Mar-19 10:56:34

KatyK the woman is unique in that after giving birth last year pretty well went straight back to office to attend to her duties. She is all for her people of New Zealand which is a rarity in her position as Prime Minister.
Pity the rest of the world didn't follow suit.

KatyK Sun 17-Mar-19 09:56:15

What a lovely woman the New Zealand Prime Minister seems.

EllanVannin Sun 17-Mar-19 09:42:59

Of course,Anja as well as those anti-Semitics in Westminster.

gillybob Sun 17-Mar-19 00:35:47

OMG yes I read in the news that there is a problem with holding so many funerals so close together. Those poor people who helped at the scene will need counselling too. It’s truly terrible Absent and I hope beyond all hope, that there won’t be any repercussions....... eye for an eye..... revenge attacks anywhere in the world. I don’t know Christchurch, NZ at all, but from what I have learned, if this can happen there, it can happen anywhere at all.