Gransnet forums

Chat

A dreadful event in Christchurch

(207 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-19 04:01:23

I m listening to an awful incident unfolding in NZ a mass shooting on mosques in Christchurch. Multiple deaths including children the perpetrators have put live video footage of people being shot and killed on the web
It is reported to be a white Supremacy massacre, only one shooter has been captured

What a sad sad day for the world

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:14:55

For NZ it’s like a loss of innocence isn’t it - the mosques apparently had no security because it never crossed anyone’s mind it was necessary. One of the terroists is Australian and there are some suggestions that NZ wasn’t the first choice but maybe other choices had more security? Just so ineffably sad

ninathenana Fri 15-Mar-19 09:15:54

DH and I both looked at each other incredulously when we heard this had happened in NZ.
Such an awful thing to happen anywhere but we always think of NZ as a peaceful nation. Is it cynical to think perhaps they chose NZ for that reason ? Maximum impact.

My thoughts and prayers for all those involved.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:16:44

No EV not a madman - a group of terroists, extremely well organised and well equipped and very dangerous.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-19 09:18:52

Yes he’s a 28 year old Australian far right who has apparently planned this for years shockingly one of the shooters was a woman I don’t know why that shocks me even more
The latest is they have three in custody (originally said 4) and 49 dead with at least 20 more in very serious conditions

I just cry for our world what have we done why, why, why

Anniebach Fri 15-Mar-19 09:18:53

Racism is strong in New Zealand and Australia

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:26:32

I think there is a real difference between Australia and NZ wrt racism and its ‘strength’. NZ is far from perfect but has made huge stride especially wrt the position of the Maoris cf with the Aborigines in Australia. Of course both countries have racists, as do we but I don’t think A and NZ can be equated in their ‘strong racism’.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-19 09:28:52

You are so right Anniebach people don’t realise that, and it’s especially so in Australia NZ is always seen as a perfect country and it is beautiful and wonderful if you are middle class

EllanVannin Fri 15-Mar-19 09:29:15

Why wasn't he tracked in Australia ??

This madman was a member of the White Supremacy-----which should be wiped out !!

EllanVannin Fri 15-Mar-19 09:30:56

Ban all these far-right, far left groups.It's not democracy, it's murder.

EllanVannin Fri 15-Mar-19 09:31:40

* should read it's NOT democracy.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-19 09:35:45

MaryEliza you are right Australia much more so than NZ but there is still underlying racism, the Maori’ s are still treated as second class citizens They are seen by many as the underclass and treated accordinglyalthough all the right things are said by governments

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:36:36

Bluebelle I really don’t think there’s any evidence at all that racism in NZ is any stronger than in the UK but there’s evidence that A is much more racist than NZ. Being white and middle class is generally advsntageous in most western nations. I visit NZ regularly and thevery real efforts made with improving the lot of the Maori people over the last 30 years has been impressive. I’ve no idea about anti- Muslim sentiment there but would guess it will be tied up with general anti- immigrantion positions.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:37:40

It will be interesting to hear from absent especially as she lives on the S. Island

KatyK Fri 15-Mar-19 09:42:21

Horrendous. Why are some people so full of hatred?

EllanVannin Fri 15-Mar-19 09:44:30

Neither the Maori's nor the Aborigine's have done anything to deserve the hostility they get ! The countries belong to them but that's another story. They are lovely people.

Racism is very low in New Zealand but is rife in Australia.

Maryeliza, the man IS mad like Anders Breivik is.

annodomini Fri 15-Mar-19 09:49:55

Racism is strong in New Zealand and Australia
How do you know about that, Annie? When did you last visit New Zealand?
I was in Christchurch throughout January and, as well as my sister, her son and GDs, I have a number of good friends in the city. I had no notion that there was 'strong racism'. My nephew is married to a half Maori and his children are therefore mixed race as are very many Kiwi families nowadays.
This atrocity is a symptom not of racism in NZ but of an insidious world-wide, right wing, largely anti-Muslim network.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:50:42

Bluebelle x posts. I agree that Maoris are not equal - I was commenting on the improvements that have been made and the fact that it’s wrong to bracket together A and NZ wrt ‘strong racism’. I also appreciate that the whole issue of indigineous people and their rights is a qualitatively different debate from the issue of immigration. However my guess would be that this group of terroists would hardly be positive about the Maori people and their increased rights

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:52:03

The PM is speaking now - a very compassionate and powerful speech by Jacinda Ardern.

New Zealand always seemed to be a most peaceful and relatively tolerant society which somehow makes these evil acts seem even more horrendous.

Coconut Fri 15-Mar-19 09:52:18

The evil just goes on and on because these evil people rear their poor children to be brainwashed with their own racism and bigotry, and so it goes on and on. All races /creeds under the sun has this evil element within it and they just do not learn from history, so the hatred just festers and continues.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:52:41

anno ?

MaizieD Fri 15-Mar-19 09:53:26

Horrific news; my heart goes out to all those who have lost friends and family in the shooting.

It's appalling enough that it happened but to make it worse, the perpetrators apparently live streamed their dreadful act on social media if this twitter thread is to be believed:

twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1106482799350042624

You'll note in the thread that it has been removed from facebook several times but just gets reposted and shared.

And that some UK newspapers are publishing some of the video on their websites.

There are some very sick people at large in all levels of our society.

sunseeker Fri 15-Mar-19 09:53:38

A horrendous act carried out by a coward who chose to attack unarmed innocent people.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:56:17

Sadly I can believe that about some UK papers sharing the video. No doubt the same papers that encourage an Islamaphobic dog whistle ( and worst) and defend Tommy Robinson

EllanVannin Fri 15-Mar-19 10:11:25

Coward is right sunseeker.

B9exchange Fri 15-Mar-19 10:13:58

Australian Queensland senator Fraser Anning's response is unbelievable, describing Islam as the religious equivalent of fascism, and blaming the massacre as the fault of the immigration program for allowing muslims into the County, his comments are unbelievable. I can only find his letter on Twitter, and you wouldn't want to read it anyway, but if Australian politicians can openly say this sort of hatred, the world is in an even worse state than I thought.

www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/106294428/australian-political-leaders-unite-to-condemn-fraser-anning-over-immigration-final-solution