Gransnet forums

Chat

Why? (No Brexit questions allowed, please!)

(152 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Wed 20-Mar-19 14:37:37

This could be a thread where the great unanswerables of life could be aired. The following one occurred to me at lunchtime.

Why does peanut butter so often come in those silly jars with a shoulder in which the stuff gets trapped, making it impossible to get it out without a small teaspoon or your finger? The world contains many other versions of glass jar - the Bonne Maman jam jars would be perfect - wide at the top and narrow at the bottom.

GrandmaMoira Wed 20-Mar-19 21:38:32

Why do you always go down with something that needs an urgent GP appointment at the weekend?

cornergran Wed 20-Mar-19 21:38:38

Why does our son phone just as I take the first bite of my supper?

Why do people stop and stand still at the bottom/top of an escalator? Don’t they know I can’t fly over them??

MissAdventure Wed 20-Mar-19 21:45:02

Why do towels get so dirty when you're only wiping freshly washed body parts on them?

GillT57 Wed 20-Mar-19 22:17:05

Why does DH come home from wherever he has been just as I sit down with my book? He missed the bed making, loading of washing machine and dishwasher, vscuuming up dog hair, scrubbing both bathrooms............etc are etc that I had been occupied with for several hours previously.

MamaCaz Wed 20-Mar-19 22:27:21

Why does the door into public toilets nearly always open inwards, meaning that after you've washed your hands, you can't leave without using a handle that's been touched by all those dirty people who didn't bother to wash theirs?

LadyGracie Wed 20-Mar-19 23:17:20

Do some supermarkets employ someone to bash the bananas about before they put them out?

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-Mar-19 00:14:39

Why, when, in an effort to cut down on plastic, I’ve bought several eco-friendly soap bars online, does Ocado choose to wrap each single one in its own individual plastic carrier bag?

absent Thu 21-Mar-19 04:33:04

*Wheniwasyourage" Same as Colman's mustard. What was left – and wasted – on the side of the plate (or the side of the peanut butter jar) was what increased the profit.

rosecarmel Thu 21-Mar-19 05:13:56

Why do "I" buy food packaged in plastic??? Why am "I" leaving such a huge plastic footprint for future generations to deal with?

Washerwoman Thu 21-Mar-19 06:03:41

I agree with so many of these!I asked to talk to the produce manager at my local Sainsbury's and politely asked why they felt it necessary to shrink wrap Swedes and celeriac when they are tough as old boots.He didn't really have a suitable answer other than some customers worry about germs.I pointed out the trolley and basket handles are probably more germ ridden than any veg and he agreed. It's bonkers,I also emailed and got a response that that's how some of their suppliers provide them but they are' looking into it'.
And have used online shopping much less because of the excess packaging.

rosecarmel Thu 21-Mar-19 06:13:58

That makes me happy- smile

BradfordLass72 Thu 21-Mar-19 06:31:17

EllanVannin I can answer that and any other moan about how hard it is to get into a product these days.

It's to prevent theft.
My friend Ellen designs packaging and I asked her some time ago why it's so hard, especially for arthritic fingers.
She told me "People go into supermarkets, open cheese cakes, poke a finger in and taste it and if they don't like it, shove it back in the freezer. They drink copiously out of fruit juice and milk bottles, take paracetamol and toothpaste out of packets, and chops out of theirs.
All to either taste, or steal by just dumping food, without its security barcode, into a plain bag."

So if you can't get into your biscuits or soap powder without fighting the packaging, thank the thieves.

andycameron69 Thu 21-Mar-19 08:01:04

marmite is divine and so is peanut butter

delish

I find very little to complain about

i am grateful for today

enjoy the new day

grin
flowers

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Mar-19 09:07:05

Thanks EllanV. That explains why I always have to use a sharp knife to get into the milk.

I had been told that things cost 99p to stop the cashier pocketing money. It means they have to open the till.

I’d like to know why, when I’m running late, all traffic lights turn to red as I approach and tractors and buses pull out in front of me, while when I’m early (it does happen occasionally) the lights are all green and the road clear.

shysal Thu 21-Mar-19 09:17:57

When I make sure my knickers go into the wash the right way round, why do they all come out inside out? I have even tried putting them in the wrong way round in the hope that they will end up the right way - no they don't!

Sparklefizz Thu 21-Mar-19 10:09:35

Anniebach You forgot to add "and put it in a cardboard box the size of a car!"

Why do Amazon wrap a plastic bucket in plastic, surround it with that large plastic air pouch stuff and put it in a cardboard box sealed with plastic tape strengthened with plastic thread

Sparklefizz Thu 21-Mar-19 10:12:22

^It's to prevent theft.
My friend Ellen designs packaging and I asked her some time ago why it's so hard, especially for arthritic fingers.
She told me "People go into supermarkets, open cheese cakes, poke a finger in and taste it and if they don't like it, shove it back in the freezer. They drink copiously out of fruit juice and milk bottles, take paracetamol and toothpaste out of packets, and chops out of theirs.
All to either taste, or steal by just dumping food, without its security barcode, into a plain bag."^

OMG! shock What are people like ????

Jane10 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:14:21

That's very interesting about the reasons for packaging. Some people eh?!

Daddima Thu 21-Mar-19 10:40:39

How come investigative journalist Lois Lane never notices that mild-mannered Clark Kent looks just like Superman with specs?

Gonegirl Thu 21-Mar-19 10:43:52

That's a lovely post andycameron! smile

Eloethan Thu 21-Mar-19 11:01:07

Why, for loose fruit and veg, aren't paper bags supplied to shoppers instead of plastic bags?

In the US they seem to use sturdy paper sacks for supermarket shopping. Would that work here?

libra10 Thu 21-Mar-19 11:06:30

Why do they not make soup tins exactly the same circumference at the top? They would stack firmly in the cupboards, without tumbling over.

Why do they make tins of corned beef so difficult to open? Invariably the fiddly little key fails work properly.

Greyduster Thu 21-Mar-19 11:45:23

Marmight? In a clear glass jar??? NOOOO!!!!

MissAdventure Thu 21-Mar-19 12:07:40

It is a bit daft having it in a Marmight coloured one.

Day6 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:37:29

Why does the cat, who can happily ignore her humans all day, and does everything to her own timetable, decide she wants a fuss and to sit on my lap the minute I sit down in an armchair with the laptop occupying that space?

And why, can anyone explain, do we accommodate her, close the laptop and stop what we are doing?