Gransnet forums

Chat

Help needed , i don’t do metres

(19 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 23-Mar-19 10:20:34

Caroline couldn’t burn it , council wouldn’t allow it. This is a rural area and no shortage of firewood.
The bungalows use to have open area at back,, residents asked for permission to erect fencing to have their own gardens, agreement was - residents May fence off area at back of their bungalows but fencing is not the responsibility of the council.

I live in a National Park, so many restrictions plus restrictions from council for their tenants, a nightmare. National Parks even have rules about tv satellite dishes!

Example, my brother bought a property in an isolated area,
He built a tennis court, the Parks ordered it be removed and restored to a vegetable garden , the property is 2 miles from the main road, the Parks claimed a tennis court could distract motorists! Brother won the battle but had to take it to the Welsh Assemby.

No idea how the previous tenant got away with a 8ft fence ?,

Carolina55 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:50:10

I see Anniebach- the plus being you only have one lot of neighbours on t’other side! Any chance you could just burn the old fence or offer it as firewood for collection?

Anniebach Sat 23-Mar-19 08:39:48

Caroline there is no next door, I live in the end bungalow.

The fence there now is 8ft high, the previous tenant had a model railway in the garden .

To add to the cost I had another text, I have to hire a skip to take the old fence away. And I have been saving for a hall carpet !

Am now thinking of heavy galvanised fencing, cost a bit less,
All that matters is my dogs are safe.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 22-Mar-19 23:37:22

I have 4 inch by 4 inch posts - much heavier and more expensive. Choose the panels carefully. They should allow the wind to blow through them. If they are too solid they will be blown off if that makes sense - like a sail.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Mar-19 23:07:33

Anniebach it was just that, when DH went to buy some posts and asked for 6 ft posts, they only came in metres - but were 4" x 4"!

Carolina55 Fri 22-Mar-19 22:09:01

Can you share the cost with next door Anniebach?

Anniebach Fri 22-Mar-19 21:53:08

Jalima His text was confusing. I now know I need 6 panels and six posts , there is a post next to the gate, makes it 7 posts.

feelingmyage no help with costs, council does the bungalow , tenants the gardens.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Mar-19 19:42:00

Are the posts supporting the fence 2m x 4" x 4" *Anniebach?

Badenkate Fri 22-Mar-19 18:41:07

8kms equal 5 miles

watermeadow Fri 22-Mar-19 18:36:35

As the cornflake packet used to say,
“A metre measures 3 ft 3. It’s longer than a yard you see.
A litre of water’s a pint and three quarters.
Two and a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram.”
I still don’t know how far a kilometre is. More than a mile? From here to the end of the road? Here to London?

Anniebach Fri 22-Mar-19 11:53:04

Carolina thank you, I have always been honest and said I am not the brightest coin in the mint , just proved it

Carolina55 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:28:35

It will be 5 panels to fit between the 6 posts Anniebach.

Anniebach Fri 22-Mar-19 11:20:42

Thank you, yes the posts will be cemented in . So he means
6 posts which measure 75mm x 75mm and are 2.4m high ?

If so I still don’t know how many panels to order ,

Feelingmyage55 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:08:55

Can your landlord help with the cost?

Feelingmyage55 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:07:27

He has given the post size in length and then the thickness. The fence will not be 2.4 m high because the posts will be buried about 18 inches into the ground, maybe more. Are the posts bing concreted in? This stops the base rotting and makes the post much more stable especially if you get strong winds. The posts will then be trimmed to the fence height. Ensure that he is using pretreated panels/boards for the fencing. They are initially a little dearer but the fence will look after itself - no varnishing needed. Hope that helps.

Kupari45 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:54:15

Annie 2.4 metres is eight feet long.
75 x 75 is three inches by three inches.
Hope this helps

Brenda.

LullyDully Fri 22-Mar-19 10:50:10

You can find conversion tables if you Google. Just put in ......... meters .......centimetres in imperial. Good luck.

Charleygirl5 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:49:20

Sorry, like yourself I only work in yards, feet and inches.

Anniebach Fri 22-Mar-19 10:46:05

Chap who is putting up a new garden fence has sent me a text, he came to look at old fence early this morning, I was still in bed.

What the hell does this mean?

You need 6 posts 2.4 metres 75mm by 75mm fence panels