Gransnet forums

Chat

Poor Boy

(28 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 25-Mar-19 15:27:47

I’ve always lacked confidence with numbers and therefore money, I would use my own idiosyncratic ways of totting things up and get there in the end.
When I was around 19ys I decided to ‘improve’ my maths by applying for a job in a pub, got it and plunged in. My,my what an initiation!! I always shook and came out in a cold sweat and the mental arithmetic just became more and more derailed!! After a weeks trial the public an and his wife sat at either end of the bar scrutinising my adding up and writing it all down. At the end of the evening they checked the till against their notes and burst out laughing saying I overcharged and undercharged in equal measure so the takings were spot on!!
They then said I was honest and would get the hang of it soon, which I did.....eventually (I’m a slow learner).
By the end of the year I was running the bar single handed whilst training a new member of staff!
Very little financial reward, but I took a great lesson from the experience.

Hope the boy gets into his stride soon.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:04:43

Oh dear!
You know when I was young, daft and in my first job (not known for my numeracy) I dreaded being put on a till as I knew that these shortcomings could not be hidden. I would've been too terrified and nervous to count the cash out loud.
I was obviously in the wrong job. In a few years he'll (hopefully) gain confidence. We were all young once and more easily flustered.

lincolnimp Mon 25-Mar-19 12:52:41

It really wasn't his day
Perhaps even his first day on the tills.

I went into out local M&S food hall for some bits and pieces.
I noticed that the lady two places in front of me was having a discussion with the young man on the tills as she paid him with some bank notes.

Lady in front of me paid using contactless.

Now it is my turn---
I had cash as I had been tasked with paying in a charity collection. I had done a bank transfer from my account to the relevant charity account, so had lots of cash.

Looking at the amount required, £37.51, I counted out £30 in notes, gave it to the boy
£6 in 50p and £1 coins , gave it to him,
£1.51 in an assortment of 50p, 20p, 10p, 5p coins plus 1p.

He sat and looked at me.
"How much have you given me?"
"£37.51"
Looking at his till---"But I need £42.01"

I pointed out that the customer information indicator informed me that the total was £37.51 (I knew that there had been some offers, so final total less than initial total.)

"oh, oh yes"
As I began to take my bags to leave, he sat looking at the money in his hand and said

"How much have you given me?"

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!