Gransnet forums

Chat

It's official!

(16 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 25-Mar-19 15:58:56

Received a letter today stating I will get my first pension payment 6/5/19. I'm now officially a pensioner smile

Upside is, it's more than I was expecting as I've only worked p/t for the past 30 yrs.

B9exchange Mon 25-Mar-19 16:01:45

Congratulations, here's to a long and happy retirement. don't waste a minute of it! smile

Ilovecheese Mon 25-Mar-19 16:01:48

Many congrats! I bet you have earned it.

ninathenana Mon 25-Mar-19 16:05:59

Thanks, I actually retired at 55. I've been a kept woman for 10 yrs smile

KatyK Mon 25-Mar-19 16:06:18

Welcome to the club. It's great (mostly) smile

Charleygirl5 Mon 25-Mar-19 16:13:33

Full time work is a distant memory and I would hate to return to that life.

12Michael Mon 25-Mar-19 17:09:31

You also qualify for a bus pass as well, which is based on women's retirement age.

The bonus many may not be aware of is the senior railcard and the national express coach card starts when you are 60.

Mick

KatyK Mon 25-Mar-19 17:27:45

The bus pass is one of the best things about retirement for me. You can use it country wide and on local trains.

grannyactivist Mon 25-Mar-19 17:33:45

Congratulations ninathenana, I remember how excited I was when I finally got mine. smile

I get reimbursed my expenses from the charity I work for and my free bus pass has saved them a lot of money as fares here in rural Devon are very expensive.

phoenix Mon 25-Mar-19 18:07:33

I won't get mine until 2015/2016, so still working!

However, I don't think the bus pass will make much difference, as we have very limited service here!

nina wishing you a long, happy and healthy retirement! flowers

sweetpea Mon 25-Mar-19 18:18:33

Yes, congratulations! Unfortunately KatyK, not everyone gets to use bus passes on local trains, more's the pity! hmm

KatyK Mon 25-Mar-19 18:21:07

Oh that's a shame sad

ninathenana Mon 25-Mar-19 18:26:03

phoenix "I won't get mine until 2015/2016 " umm, it's 2019 now

confusedconfused smile

ninathenana Mon 25-Mar-19 18:30:36

Michael DH used to use his bus pass for the park and ride in our nearest city. Until they closed the P&R on our side of the city.
Busses few and far between in our rural area.

tidyskatemum Mon 25-Mar-19 19:11:14

Ooh yes, I got my first instalment of state pension two weeks ago and was very excited, especially as it was more than I had originally expected, though I haven't applied for my bus pass yet. I did notice that if I'd been 5 months older I would have got my pension almost 2 years ago. After enforced retirement at 60 I remember looking up my state pension date every so often and every time I looked it went further and further away. No wonder so many of us are up in arms about the unfairness of it all.

Washerwoman Mon 25-Mar-19 20:20:43

I'm just debating wether to retire at the end of the year when I'm 60,but unfortunately it will be another 6 years 7 months until I actually get my state pension due to the push back.I did intend because of this to carry on for at least another 2 /3 years but my job is a physical one and I'm finding it really tiring .Im actually pretty fit but also juggling some care of my very elderly mum and helping with DGD at least once a week. Something has to give !DH has told me it's my choice.We will have to be more careful but DH thinks I should give up.I understand the demographics of an increasingly ageing population but I can't help but feel frustrated - especially when my mum refuses help from anyone outside the family and yet at my age she retired on a full pension and had loads of free time!However I count our blessings as we are mortgage free and have some savings ,which I know isn't the case for many.