Gransnet forums

Chat

a wee problem

(72 Posts)
petunia Wed 27-Mar-19 20:44:26

Can we speak of toilets? Those open for the public to use. Specifically the design of them.

This all came to a head for me as I took our three year old GC to the loo recently. I opened the cubicle door to see that the door just cleared the toilet bowl. Tricky. I then manoeuvred small grandchild around the bowl into the corner and then squeezed myself in. There were no hooks for coats, bags etc.

Sorted GC out with the wee situation but struggled to pull up the layers of clothing in a confined space, avoiding touching the bowl or trailing stuff on the damp floor.

Used the facility myself. Was mid flow when GC decided to run free. Loo door swung open, several bystanders turned to look at the commotion as I rose from the loo, knickers at half mast, trying to grab the retreating grandchild's arm while simultaneously clutching the door.

Got the door shut. GC on the inside. Pulled up my knickers. Turned to see GC lifting the lid of the sanitary bin. Sigh

So, two things strike me.

1. I must have some seriously good bladder control to stop mid flow.
2. Why are toilets for the use of the public so badly designed and poky?

Even without a mini Houdini, using the loo outside the home is fraught with irritations.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 30-Mar-19 20:09:31

Suggest you use the disabled toilets, they have much more room

crazyH Sat 30-Mar-19 13:03:35

Moo moo ....you've got a foofoo ?
Nanna58 .....my dream holiday would be a safari in Africa...lucky you !

eazybee Sat 30-Mar-19 12:56:39

Make the most of them, however small. Here in a holiday destination in the south coast the council have closed public lavatories by the bus station, the Quay, the waterfront, the public gardens, but have posted helpful notices about the local shops, theatre, cinema etc you can use instead. Really good on an evening or Sunday.

Rufus2 Sat 30-Mar-19 11:36:37

I think toilets are designed by men on paper
Bijou; You've obviously got "Englishmen" in your sights grin Here in OZ I've taken to borrowing the shopping centre's electric scooter and therefore able to use the "disabled" facilities. Always immaculate! The door design is excellent! You press the green button, the door slides open sideways, enter, press the black button and the door slides shut and automatically locks, so obviously only one user. Exit by pressing the red button. Eliminates hand contact of door which in normal loos occurs after users have, or have not, washed hands.
Simple! grin

hereshoping Sat 30-Mar-19 09:45:50

In my younger days I hitch hiked through Yugoslavia. In a public loo there, you had to squat over a hole beneath the disconcerting gaze of a huge portrait of President Tito.
My daughter once moved into a house where a loo area had been built off the kitchen, but the partition wall was built of those see through glass bricks.

glammagran Fri 29-Mar-19 10:07:55

B9exchange - that photo has made my day. We returned from Thailand last night (after exhausting 22 hours door to door) and our hotel certainly did not have such prestigious bathroom arrangements

CW52 Fri 29-Mar-19 00:46:54

I was mid flow when my grandson decided to crawl out under the gap in the door ?

Nanna58 Thu 28-Mar-19 23:04:21

On a safari holiday men and women’s toileting arrangements very unequal, the men wee’d at the back of the jeep with the Ranger and his gun next to them, women were sent round the back of a large termite mound and told to ‘ be on high alert’ So scary I most definitely didn’t need help going to the loo!!?????

Skinnylizzie Thu 28-Mar-19 22:02:25

grin

trendygran Thu 28-Mar-19 21:16:27

Have become much more aware of the state of public loos since having a stoma as a result of a colostomy. The Colostomy Society suggests that the loos should have a hook and a shelf at the very least to enable dealing with the stoma bag.So far ,in nine months,I have only found that M and S and Our Shopping Centre main loos have a hook. Never seen a shelf in any of them.
We are given keys for disabled loos, but several people have reported being shouted ,or even sworn at for using one! A ‘hidden disability’ is not recognised ,especiallly by some who believe only those in wheelchairs are disabled. Loos in this country do leave a lot to be desired for everyone-not just those with young children or babies as well as the disabled.

Speldnan Thu 28-Mar-19 20:54:32

Totally agree about cramped toilets and GC. I try to take them into baby changing ones or disabled where there’s room for 1 or even 2 GC plus Nanny. The GC all hate the loud hand driers, I think it actually hurts their young sensitive hearing.

mrswoo Thu 28-Mar-19 20:35:07

I once had a horrendous experience in a Sainsbury’s loo. I put my handbag on the sanitary bin as there was no hook to hang it and the floor was awash. As I was leaving I grabbed my bag and somehow the straps got caught in the lid and pulled the bin over sending contents and a vile smelling liquid ( which was most probably disinfectant) all over the floor. Awful, just awful.

Littleannie Thu 28-Mar-19 19:45:35

The loos I used in Greece once were manned by a very old man, sitting on a chair inside the door. He solemnly handed me one sheet of toilet paper as I went in. When I came out of the cubicle he was literally right outside the door. He grabbed my arm and walked me over to the washbasins where he mimed hand washing.

Bellanonna Thu 28-Mar-19 19:06:32

I wonder why he said that from inside the loo? confused

MooM00 Thu 28-Mar-19 19:02:47

I took my grandson to the toilet in an M&S store he must have been about 4, because of the toilet being small I let him go in on his own whilst I waited outside. A queue of People were behind me when my grandson shouted grandma have you got a willy I said no he then said have you got a foo foo then.

Grandmama Thu 28-Mar-19 18:12:34

Were they unisex loos, Petunia? Hope not. shock

Funnygran Thu 28-Mar-19 17:59:03

Yes, the mega loo rolls annoy me too and I usually resort to finding a tissue in my bag in frustration. We have recently had a touring holiday in Chile. On one very long day we stopped in a small village to use the public toilets. On the wall by the wash basins was a large toilet roll holder. It was only after the first lady in the group went into a cubicle that we realised you were supposed to pull off the paper before you went in! Reminded me of school from years ago.

Saggi Thu 28-Mar-19 17:57:03

Not to mention the shiver that goes down my spine if I’m withh my grandson who’s 10 and he says he wants to use the public toilets . Do I drag him kicking and screaming into the ladies or let him go in the men’s loo. It’s been a worry for a while now. I dread him walking into gents Lois and always tell him to use the cubicle.

crazyH Thu 28-Mar-19 17:29:12

Good bladder control Petunia . I used to be like that, but since I read somewhere that bladders should be emptied as often as you can, not just when "bursting", I go as often as I remember .

Franbern Thu 28-Mar-19 17:09:33

Can't remember where it is (definitely in England), but last year, whilst on a coach trip, the eating place we stopped at, went to the loo and there were TWO toilets side by side. Thought what an excellent idea for Mums and Children. The friend with me thought it was hilarious, took a photo to share!!

fluttERBY123 Thu 28-Mar-19 16:38:32

What annoys me most is the mega toilet rolls where you have to poke down and up inside groping forever for the end so you can roll some off - designed by a man, no doubt.

Thorntrees Thu 28-Mar-19 16:29:20

Talking about public toilets reminded me of the time some years ago when my granddaughter was just a few weeks old. Her parents were off to Australia on holiday and needed a photo of the baby for her passport. Daughter and I went to a supermarket where they had a photo machine. Every time we sat in the booth with the baby she started to cry,gave up,went to the ladies to sort her out and the noise of the hand dryer soothed her and sent her to sleep. Back to the photo booth by which time she had woken again and was crying. We must have done the trip to the loo about three time before we managed to get the requisite photo,goodness know what people thought we were doing keep dashing to the loo with this tiny baby.

Gma29 Thu 28-Mar-19 16:10:33

Having just made two long train journeys, with somewhat unhygienic toilet facilities, the toilets in the station didn’t seem so bad in retrospect.

One had those automatic doors, which I didn’t feel very confident about either!

luluaugust Thu 28-Mar-19 15:08:53

How very British of you all, I always have to check the door opening and closing mechanism before I settle down (well hover actually) horror of getting shut in after unfortunate time in a French loo, nearly getting left behind on a coach trip. I do remember years ago small DGS about 8 years old telling me he was too big and should go in the Gents, ended up dragging him in the ladies, wonder what the latest thinking on that is?

elfies Thu 28-Mar-19 14:45:22

After four coach trips to Europe , I dread coming home to our frankly dirty English loos . Italy, Germany ,Holland and Spain , beautifully clean loos, decent bins, proper loo paper , and somewhere to wash and dry hands .
Back to the uk , rubbish on the floor, sanitary bin under the cheek of your left buttock , Giant loo roll dispenser banging my head on the right (empty) with a soggy loo roll propped on the wet floor , unflushed loo clogged with paper and dribble all over the seats. English loos are usually unhygienic and dirty . I dread having to take my grandchildren