Gransnet forums

Chat

Taxi driver goes above and beyond

(40 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Thu 04-Apr-19 08:25:30

There is a story on local radio this morning about a taxi driver who received a booking to pick up an 80 year old woman and take her to her bank.

On the way she told him she had been contacted by the police who told her she had to transfer her all her money to a different account because her account had been compromised.

On arriving at the bank, instead of just dropping her off and leaving, he parked up and went into the bank with her, explained the situation and that he thought this was a scam. The bank confirmed her account was fine and that it was a scam and telephoned the police.

The woman had been convinced the call from the "police" was genuine and almost lost her life savings.

Baloothefitz Sat 06-Apr-19 02:46:18

Yes,there are more good people in the world than bad.

Grandma2213 Sat 06-Apr-19 02:22:27

Some years ago DS and some friends went to a local night club and began to walk the (about a) mile home. A car full of lads stopped and began to attack them and they were forced to jump over a hedge to escape them. A short while later a taxi driver pulled up as he had seen the incident, dropped off his fare and returned. He brought DS and friends home free of charge and was able to describe the car and number plate to the police. What a hero, and we never knew who he was.

Some time later a taxi driver knocked at my door and had as his passenger my next door neighbour's daughter. She was very drunk and incapable and he did not wish to leave her as there was no one home. Her mum (my friend) had just died suddenly a few weeks before, the week of her daughter's 18th birthday. I took the poor girl in until her dad arrived home shortly afterwards. The taxi driver refused payment for her fare.

There are so many amazingly caring and selfless people out there in our world. Hopefully we can all learn from their example.

jocork Sat 06-Apr-19 01:56:06

Sometimes banks can be too cautious. Apparently people carrying out fraudulent transactions make a small 'test' transfer to see if the card works before cleaning you out. I once needed to make a payment of 80p and my payment was refused by 2 credit cards, locking them both, then was transferred from my debit card but locked that card too. It took a bit of sorting out for a genuine but very small payment, but I'm grateful they are careful.
I did once get scammed after making an online purchase when a dodgy company took a further small unauthorised payment the next day. The card company contacted me to check so I was able to cancel the card preventing further fraud and only lost a few pounds.

Ksing Fri 05-Apr-19 22:38:42

How lovely and kind! Wish New Zealand wasn’t so far away! We would have loved to live there! So many lovely people!

Aepgirl Fri 05-Apr-19 21:58:07

What a fantastic taxi driver. We need more people like him.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 05-Apr-19 17:42:23

Or the two young girls who hadn't enough money for a taxi all the way home one late Friday evening. They asked the taxi driver how far he could take them for the amount they had. He asked where they wanted to go and their home was farther away than the amount they had.

Hop in, he said, I'll take you all the way. I wouldn't want my daughter walking home at this hour of the morning.

GreenGran78 Fri 05-Apr-19 16:57:48

God bless kind taxi drivers, and cautious banks. My elderly friend needed a large amount of cash to pay for work being done in her house (Cash transaction! Don't ask!) Her local Barclay's bank has closed down, so I drove her the 6 miles to the nearest branch. They never even asked her for ID, or questioned the unusual transaction, though they have never dealt with her in person before. When I asked her why she doesn't swap her account to TSB, NatWest, or Nationwide, who all have local branches she said that Barclays has always taken good care of her money!

Greyduster Fri 05-Apr-19 15:38:02

We hired a taxi once to take us to a coach that was taking us on holiday. When we had been on the coach about fifteen minutes prior to it leaving, we noticed we hadn’t brought on board a rather expensive pair of binoculars. We tried to ring the taxi company but couldn’t get through. Then, just as we had kissed them goodbye, our taxi driver appeared in the door of the coach with them in his hand! He refused the reward that DH offered him and went on his way.

Riggie Fri 05-Apr-19 14:38:11

Theoddbird I had a tax bill to pay by transfer and had the devil of a job persuading my bank that it was genuine!!

Theoddbird Fri 05-Apr-19 13:31:29

This becoming a common scan. How wonderful thst someone took the time to look after her. I can't transfer even a pound online banking without a warning coming up about such things and I have to click that I have read it. The more this is talked about the better

Mrsdof Fri 05-Apr-19 13:23:09

Some years ago a friend of ours had what we thought was a heart attack at a work’s Xmas do. We called an ambulance and his wife went with him in the ambulance to St. Thomas’ hospital in London. We called a taxi and said ‘follow that ambulance’, the driver laughed and we told him what had happened. When we got to the hospital he refused payment from us. Very impressed with that London Cabbie!

kwest Fri 05-Apr-19 13:19:11

The taxi driver was a hero. What a shame it didn't make the national news.

Lily65 Fri 05-Apr-19 13:16:14

I left a large wallet/purse in a taxi, containing absolutely everything....cards/cash the lot.

A taxi driver brought it round to my home and wouldn't accept anything by way of a thank you.

breeze Fri 05-Apr-19 13:10:37

Agree Tuppnce

Esspee Fri 05-Apr-19 12:48:39

When I lived in New Zealand the bus driver would make a detour to drop me at my door if it was raining.
One day I was on the bus going into town when the driver noticed a lady standing at the out of town bus stop. He called out to her that the next bus was in two hours time and asked where she was headed. She said the hospice. The driver asked all the passengers if they would mind him dropping off the lady. Everyone agreed and we turned round, took the mesmerised lady to the door of the hospice (about 3 miles) then turned back to catch up on our journey.
I loved New Zealand.

Kim19 Fri 05-Apr-19 12:41:14

This is one that 'went well'. Terrific, but I do wish people wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket no matter how few eggs they have.

travelsafar Fri 05-Apr-19 12:38:23

Gold Star for that taxi driver!!! smile

Bijou Fri 05-Apr-19 12:27:18

I was ordering something on line and unfortunately entered a wrong credit card number then realising my mistake entered the correct one. Had a call from the credit card company to confirm the transaction was valid. HSBC are on the ball.
In order to do my weekly shop I use a Dial a bus. The driver carries my bags and puts them on the kitchen table and makes sure that I am safely indoors.

Tamayra Fri 05-Apr-19 12:11:22

I was trying to wave down a cab, in pouring rain in New York in a long dress in my way to the theatre with my 2 young boys
A stretched Limo stopped & offered to take us free of charge
The driver was so kind & we arrived in style !!!

icanhandthemback Fri 05-Apr-19 12:02:42

How lucky it was that she told the right Taxi driver. What a brilliant result for her.

jaylucy Fri 05-Apr-19 11:50:26

On the whole, I've found that taxi drivers are really good and helpful.
One day I was suffering from sciatica, so using one crutch. I had tickets to a concert in Birmingham that I was determined to go to but needed to get to my nearest town, to catch a bus to the nearest train station to get to Brum . I was chatting to the driver ( I regularly use the company) and when he heard what I planned to do, he just turned around and took me direct to the train station and only charged me what it would normally be to get to town to catch the bus!
On the other hand, I needed to get to work for a staff meeting earlier than I would normally get there on my usual bus. I called a taxi, explained that I needed to get to work before 8am - big mistake ! He took me at my word, and we were travelling at 90 mph at one point, I couldn't fasten my seat belt (it was broken) and he wasn't wearing one! We got to my workplace in 12 minutes when it usually takes 25!!! Needless to say, I called the taxi company to report the state of the taxi, as well as the driver.

inishowen Fri 05-Apr-19 11:49:34

Years ago I had to take my daughter to the ferry terminal in Belfast as she was going back to uni. Somehow we got confused and ended up on the wrong side of the bridge. A group of youths advised us to leave the car with them and to walk across the bridge. Time was short so we had to do it. When I rushed back to my car they were waiting. They asked if my daughter had made the ferry in time then went on their way. I'm not sure if I would be so trusting now, but these guys were great.

Coconut Fri 05-Apr-19 11:36:47

This just restores our faith in human nature ... as per the previous post when the evil people out there grab all the headlines.

Telly Fri 05-Apr-19 11:30:45

This is surely not at all comparable with the postman thread. This is someone doing something over and above normal expectations. Well done, we all need to be aware.

EllanVannin Thu 04-Apr-19 12:23:02

The taxi service I use when I'm finished shopping at Asda always carry the bags to my front door and if the weather's bad they'll drop them inside the hall for me. They're wonderful and have been for years.

As is the wonderful mini-cab driver who takes my GD and all her flock ( 7 ) to their holiday destination, he is so calm and patient with all the children-----a lovely man indeed.