Gransnet forums

Chat

Taxi driver goes above and beyond

(39 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Thu 04-Apr-19 08:25:30

There is a story on local radio this morning about a taxi driver who received a booking to pick up an 80 year old woman and take her to her bank.

On the way she told him she had been contacted by the police who told her she had to transfer her all her money to a different account because her account had been compromised.

On arriving at the bank, instead of just dropping her off and leaving, he parked up and went into the bank with her, explained the situation and that he thought this was a scam. The bank confirmed her account was fine and that it was a scam and telephoned the police.

The woman had been convinced the call from the "police" was genuine and almost lost her life savings.

sodapop Thu 04-Apr-19 09:10:42

Great to know that there are still good people out there. We get to hear so much about the bad ones its nice to hear the other side.

Alima Thu 04-Apr-19 09:16:54

What a wonderful thing to do. There are good people around.

Tuppnce Thu 04-Apr-19 09:38:36

Compare this with the thread about the postman.
Would we have preferred the taxi driver to “mind his own business”? Was his behaviour intrusive? I certainly don’t think so and feel sorry for a postman who is just trying to be friendly.
Some of us need to guard against getting grumpier in our old age grin

Elrel Thu 04-Apr-19 09:55:51

Heartwarming to read.

grannyqueenie Thu 04-Apr-19 10:01:38

I went ino my bank recently to transfer a gift of money to an African friend. Her account is in her home country but she is currently studying in USA so an unusual situation. I was very impressd when the teller took great care to make sure I actually knew this person and wasn’t being scammed. Yes we mustn’t forget the many good people there are around.

EllanVannin Thu 04-Apr-19 10:01:42

Probably the best post of the day. It's made mine anyway.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:05:34

Thank goodness for that. There are some fine people in the world as well as those scamming b!"£$%^&s I think the good outweigh the bad.

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 04-Apr-19 10:10:48

Some years ago I was cycling to work on a damp dreary day. A black cab driver initially hooted at me at some lights and when I ignored him, pulled over in front of me and made me stop. He got out of his cab , came towards me with a rolled up newspapers and said "you're making a right old mess of your clothes, you need a mudguard" and promptly manufactured one with the paper and wedged it over the back wheel. i did thank him for his concern but didn't have the heart to say the clothes were my old cycling gear and I had a full change waiting at work. The newspaper was a London cabbies one so afterwards I wrote to them about his help and how touched I'd been at his concern.

Beckett Thu 04-Apr-19 10:38:08

Quite a few years ago now when we were living in a "rough" area, I got a taxi home after a night out with friends. The driver told me he would wait until I was safely inside the house before leaving.

Squiffy Thu 04-Apr-19 11:03:23

Many moons ago when the children were young, we took the ferry across to the island to visit a theme park type venue. The weather was atrocious and we missed the bus. We set off on foot and walked for ages. All four of us were soaking wet, freezing cold and decided that,as the weather had set in, we'd be better off going back to our campsite on the mainland.

So,we set off on the long trudge back towards the ferry. A taxi driver, going the other way, tooted us, turned round and offered to take us back to the ferry. We told him that we couldn't afford the fare all that way. "What fare?" he replied.

So, four very wet people were rescued and were so grateful to him.

We never did go back to the theme park!

Urmstongran Thu 04-Apr-19 11:06:44

What a lovely story - quite heartwarming. Well done that kind and thoughtful taxi driver.

Squiffy Thu 04-Apr-19 11:28:33

Urmston Yes, especially as he ended up with a very wet cab interior! We were so apologetic, but he just laughed it off, saying that it wouldn't matter as he wouldn't be getting any more customers that day as everyone would be staying indoors!

Grannybags Thu 04-Apr-19 11:32:46

Lovely story smile

EllanVannin Thu 04-Apr-19 12:23:02

The taxi service I use when I'm finished shopping at Asda always carry the bags to my front door and if the weather's bad they'll drop them inside the hall for me. They're wonderful and have been for years.

As is the wonderful mini-cab driver who takes my GD and all her flock ( 7 ) to their holiday destination, he is so calm and patient with all the children-----a lovely man indeed.

Telly Fri 05-Apr-19 11:30:45

This is surely not at all comparable with the postman thread. This is someone doing something over and above normal expectations. Well done, we all need to be aware.

Coconut Fri 05-Apr-19 11:36:47

This just restores our faith in human nature ... as per the previous post when the evil people out there grab all the headlines.

inishowen Fri 05-Apr-19 11:49:34

Years ago I had to take my daughter to the ferry terminal in Belfast as she was going back to uni. Somehow we got confused and ended up on the wrong side of the bridge. A group of youths advised us to leave the car with them and to walk across the bridge. Time was short so we had to do it. When I rushed back to my car they were waiting. They asked if my daughter had made the ferry in time then went on their way. I'm not sure if I would be so trusting now, but these guys were great.

jaylucy Fri 05-Apr-19 11:50:26

On the whole, I've found that taxi drivers are really good and helpful.
One day I was suffering from sciatica, so using one crutch. I had tickets to a concert in Birmingham that I was determined to go to but needed to get to my nearest town, to catch a bus to the nearest train station to get to Brum . I was chatting to the driver ( I regularly use the company) and when he heard what I planned to do, he just turned around and took me direct to the train station and only charged me what it would normally be to get to town to catch the bus!
On the other hand, I needed to get to work for a staff meeting earlier than I would normally get there on my usual bus. I called a taxi, explained that I needed to get to work before 8am - big mistake ! He took me at my word, and we were travelling at 90 mph at one point, I couldn't fasten my seat belt (it was broken) and he wasn't wearing one! We got to my workplace in 12 minutes when it usually takes 25!!! Needless to say, I called the taxi company to report the state of the taxi, as well as the driver.

icanhandthemback Fri 05-Apr-19 12:02:42

How lucky it was that she told the right Taxi driver. What a brilliant result for her.

Tamayra Fri 05-Apr-19 12:11:22

I was trying to wave down a cab, in pouring rain in New York in a long dress in my way to the theatre with my 2 young boys
A stretched Limo stopped & offered to take us free of charge
The driver was so kind & we arrived in style !!!

Bijou Fri 05-Apr-19 12:27:18

I was ordering something on line and unfortunately entered a wrong credit card number then realising my mistake entered the correct one. Had a call from the credit card company to confirm the transaction was valid. HSBC are on the ball.
In order to do my weekly shop I use a Dial a bus. The driver carries my bags and puts them on the kitchen table and makes sure that I am safely indoors.

travelsafar Fri 05-Apr-19 12:38:23

Gold Star for that taxi driver!!! smile

Kim19 Fri 05-Apr-19 12:41:14

This is one that 'went well'. Terrific, but I do wish people wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket no matter how few eggs they have.

Esspee Fri 05-Apr-19 12:48:39

When I lived in New Zealand the bus driver would make a detour to drop me at my door if it was raining.
One day I was on the bus going into town when the driver noticed a lady standing at the out of town bus stop. He called out to her that the next bus was in two hours time and asked where she was headed. She said the hospice. The driver asked all the passengers if they would mind him dropping off the lady. Everyone agreed and we turned round, took the mesmerised lady to the door of the hospice (about 3 miles) then turned back to catch up on our journey.
I loved New Zealand.